The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 01:26 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough
Default Vapen or Passport....need help!

Hi all! So I have some choices to make and your input is much needed. I currently have a 9' 5wt Redington Pursuit matched with a Guru 2. I have a cabelas gift card and am thinking of picking up an extra spool to load up Rio's 15ft StreamerTip S3 for tossing streamers with. I'd like to upgrade my Pursuit rod, fine rod....does everything I ask except tossing heavier streamers with my floating line (Rio Gold). So my question to you all is if I pick up a fast 5wt and pair up it up with the sink tip line I mentioned...could I get away with it being a a decent streamer rod/heavy nymph rod?? Is like to stay with a 5wt because I would like to be able to dry fly fish with it as well. I like the Vapen ( cork handle), read that it is powerful yet sensitive...and the Winston Passport because it's a fast action rod yet has more of a progressive feel, don't want to sacrifice feel with either. Kind of a Jack of all trade is what I'm looking for, but with the help of the sink tip line, will be able to get my streamers (sculpzillas, slumpbusters etc) out there when river and lake fishing. Any input is extremely appreciated, thanks!

Mark
Old 04-18-2014, 02:03 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vapen or Passport....need help!

if you want a rod that is sensitive and powerful at the same time, look no farther than St. Croix Bank Robber 9' 5wt. Its an amazing streamer rod that performs equally well when nymphing. A rod that is good in throwing sink tips and bulky streamers is not going to be a great dry fly rod. But, if you are fishing big stimulators and other attractor type dries, that should be fine. Just dont expect it to present delicate dry flies perfectly.

Passport is a very good rod for its price. It is a very accurate dry fly rod. I like the taper and flex character of this rod a lot. but, i dont find this to be as good of a streamer (sink tip) rod as the Bank Robber.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:00 PM

Great! Thanks for the suggestion, hadn't thought of the bank robber as an alternative. I'm tossing around the idea of sticking with the 5wt or just suck it up and go for a 6wt and use primarily for streamers. I hate to carry around a whole other rod with me when I switch to streamers and back. I would like to use the new 5wt for everything and designate my Pursuit as a back up. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 AM

irons is on a distinguished road

Not sure what you want to spend but I had a Scott S4 in a 5 wt that I used the galloups streamer line along with rio gold line and it did great for streamers. Very fast action.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:37 PM

God I wish I could swing an S4 but alas I won't be able too :/. Trying to stay within the $250-$320ish realm. Been reading some decent stuff on the Winston VSL and Sage Approach...anyone have experiences with these rods and their action for getting distance and or tossing streamer lines? Thanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 01:47 PM

You could easily get an S4 used for the price you listed. I have seen several on eBay for around $300. An S4 in a 9.5 foot 5 wt would be really sweet. I have an S4 in a 4 wt that I was going to sell but it may be a bit small for what you talked about. Good luck.

Last edited by irons; 04-19-2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Mis spelling
Old 04-19-2014, 06:03 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

I would recommend that you cast a few before committing to buy.

Just test cast a Redington Vapen 9'6", #5, and was very underwhelmed. Super stiff, and not real responsive, and HEAVY. No feel at all. Overall I was very disappointed. George Anderson's term "rug beater" applies.

Good value alternatives are the Passport, as would a St. Croix Imperial, Bank Robber, or even Legend Elite. Have also found that the Echo Rods and Greys Rods are good values for the money as well.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I would recommend that you cast a few before committing to buy.

Just test cast a Redington Vapen 9'6", #5, and was very underwhelmed. Super stiff, and not real responsive, and HEAVY. No feel at all. Overall I was very disappointed. George Anderson's term "rug beater" applies.

Good value alternatives are the Passport, as would a St. Croix Imperial, Bank Robber, or even Legend Elite. Have also found that the Echo Rods and Greys Rods are good values for the money as well.
Coolhand has a good suggestion, echo rods are good rods for the money.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:33 PM

I do have an Echo Edge Saltwater 9wt that I toss for tiger muskie , really love the rod. Only echo I would consider is the Echo 3 in freshwater 5 wt trim. Really do like my echo...but want to diversify my portfolio if ya know what I mean. . Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm starting to look at wanting to cast a Sage Approach...states med-fast...read somewhere that Sage's medium fast is everyone else's Fast action? Any truth to this? Thanks again!