The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 05:24 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Looking to add another rod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefella View Post

I think you are on the right track considering a very nice medium action 4wt. and I like the 7'9" or 8'6" choice as well. In fact, you could purchase another 5wt. in 8'6" and get a completely different rod than your Sage One.

For me it is more about action than weight or length that makes a rod desirable under different circumstances. More precisely the line I want to throw and the fly I want to deliver. I would rather have a slight overlap rather than a gap in my arsenal.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read the original post. For example, I have a 486 ONE and a 479 Circa and they are totally different rods for different circumstances. I do not view them as interchangeable even though they are both 4 weights with only 9" difference in length. Since your ONE is a 590 the difference would be even more noticeable.
If you drop from a 590 ONE to a medium action 3 weight I think you will want something in between.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:08 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

I'll preference my answer by saying that I am a huge fan of 7'9" to 8'3" 3 wts, with the later length being my preference. In my mind an 8ft ish 3wt is the perfect compliment to a 9ft 5wt as it gets you into tighter spots, is superb with drys and still has enough to light nymph.

That being said, your 590 One is really more a 6wt than a 5. As other folks have mentioned a 3 would be a huge jump compared to the One and may feel more like a toy than a tool. If it was me I would look towards an 8ft 4wt. Without hesitation my first choice, based on your intended use use, would be the Scott G2 844-4. True medium fast, classic action with enough reserve to make it a great high alpine lake rod. Super light weight and a phenomenal dry fly rod to boot. Other rods to look at would be:

High end:
The new Winston B3LS in 480-4
Sage Circa 479-4
Burkheimer 483-4

Budget:
Reddington CT 480-4
St Croix Imperial 480-4
St Croix Avid 479-4
Old 04-20-2014, 08:24 AM

markfrid has a spectacular aura aboutmarkfrid has a spectacular aura about

I'm with Furnacefella, too. Nice med 4-wt would be awesome. Not a fan of the under-4's. The Winston WT in 8'6" #4 is my baby. One of those "pry it out of my cold, dead fingers" rods. Super-sweet, very versatile.

Mark
Old 04-20-2014, 10:53 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefella View Post
The Redington CT and TFO finesse are as good as any in small sizes unless you are a die hard ultra lite fisherman.
I have the TFO Finesse in 7' 9" 4 wt and it is an absolute delight for smaller streams. I think it is exactly what it sounds like Jimmy is looking for. Easy on the wallet, too.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:35 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

When hiking back into the small mountains streams of the Sierras (the same scenario you are describing) I went with an Echo Carbon 2wt 7'2".

Brushy mess, no problem.
Crystal clear shallow pool, no problem.
Skittish fish in really thin water, no problem.
Fits in a daypack, no problem.

Fishes true to weight, so I lined it with a true to weight line, and even in some wind it casts very nicely. After all, you're not throwing a fly 40' on a stream 10' wide. Nor will you run across many big fish, although mine has handled a rainbow of 16" (that was a surprise!).

Just something to consider . . .
Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

Personally i think that a 3 wt is the best size rod for dry flies, especially small flies 16 and under. I have a scott G2 8'8" 3 wt. and love it.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:49 PM

deanb10s is on a distinguished road

They have the Cabelas MTX on sale for $249, reg. $399. I have a 3wt and a 6wt, and they are very nice rods. I fish them just as often as my Scott and Sage rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

Never fished them but TFO makes a finesse series that may be worth looking at.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

In most circumstances, rod size should be determined by the fish you are targeting. For example I would not want a 3wt rod for fishing dry flies on the Missouri River, or Clark Fork, or many other rivers when the fish being targeted are 16" + rainbows that love small dry flies. It would be difficult to land fish in a reasonable amount of time for a safe release, I think it would be inappropriate.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM

jimmy3711 is on a distinguished road

Wow! Thank you to all for your information. After much deliberation, I've decided to go for the Circa 479-4.

Now I just need to figure out a reel for it and get out and use it!