The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2014, 12:20 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Love this new rod

A 1wt , 7 1/2 ft Orvis Superfine....earlier model...I limited out with it today and I tell you what, I do not think I EVER had so much fun fishing !!!! Caught one tht was about 14 inches long and the rod was bent into the cork, and he was pulling line OUT..I was palming for drag....and it was a super battle!
Now this isnt the rod for you if you fishing for 5lber trout,,but for foot long trout,,,it's just more awesome than I have words to describe with.

Now, it will NOT cast a mile...and I'm sure it will NOT buck a lot of wind,,but on the right stream,,,,its mind bending fun !

Forgot the camera today so the only pic I have is cleaned trout in a pot of water.

Mike
horsehead, mysticm, attila and 3 others like this.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:42 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Love this new rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
A 1wt , 7 1/2 ft Orvis Superfine, I do not think I EVER had so much fun fishing !!!!

Mike

They are a blast!
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:16 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Was seriously considering a new 1wt. Superfine but hit on a deal for a 2wt. Trident 8'4" that was impossible to pass up......On the otherhand, it's not a 1wt. Guess what I'm thinking?

B.E.F.
fly_guy12955 likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:22 PM

stokes is on a distinguished road

Love my 2wt Orvis Clearwater,6'er.Just got it late last season,biggest trout I've got with it so far was a 8" brookie.Like you said it wont cast a mile,but for the small streams its perfect.Not bad in mild to moderate wind,its so short I can almost throw it underhanded.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:18 PM

irons is on a distinguished road

Superfines are some of the nicest rods made for small stream fishing.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

Wow, sounds like a great rod. The lightest rod I have is a 2 wt that I use for bluegill.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I love the 1wts, they are a blast. If you asked me my dream day

July/August, Rocky Mt Park, my TXL-f 1wt , a size 18 hi vis adams, a sandwich and a few gatorades in the backpack. It gets no better than that.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:36 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I dropped my reel off the rod,,the rings worked loose. Any way to prevent that ? Thought about a couple tiny zip ties,,but would look like a bugger,,so I don't know.

The Superfine is so slow, that after the loop unfurls (a long time !) the fly seems like it has to put effort into crawling slowly out of the air onto the surface of the water.

Love it !!!

Mike
comeonavs likes this.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Rubber o ring will stop band from moving
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 AM

attila will become famous soon enough

Love them Superfines. I own several. My newest is a glass Superfine. It's great.