The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 07:10 PM

jameswaine is on a distinguished road
Default Diamondback Stu Apte.

Hi everybody, I hope you're well.

I'm a member on the UK forums and thought I'd post this up here to see if anyone can help.

Basically, I've got the above rod, a #7 Stu Apte and I want to know more about it. Google searches show up very little but from what I can understand, Diamondback are no longer trading?

Unfortunately, I don't have a sock or tube for it, which is what I really want - I guess they're as rare as hens' teeth now!

Any help is gratefully received

James
Old 04-20-2014, 09:05 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diamondback Stu Apte.

Welcome to the forum James, unfortunately I can offer no advice on the rod but hopefully someone will have a answer for you.

Dave
Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 AM

Thanks, Dave!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Diamondback was a Vermont-based graphite and glass rod maker with roots back to the late 1970's which made very fine and durable rods. The "Stu Apte" series was my favorite and I own several ranging from #4 to #12. I consider them best in the heavier line weights and have both the 6 and 8 but not your #7. Most of them are 3 pc. models, is yours? Cortland Line Co. acquired the Diamondback brand and equipment but did nothing with it and has no plans to. They would be your only potential resource to obtain an original aluminum tube and rod sock from but...don't hold your breath. An after market tube and sock should be available from a number of catalog companies though 3 pc. rods are far less common today than 4 pc. versions. Enjoy your excellent rod.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 AM

Thanks very much for that!

Yes, it's a 3 piece rod, I have no idea what happened to the tube and sock!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Cortland Line Co. acquired the Diamondback brand and equipment but did nothing with it and has no plans to.
Well, they did do something, just nothing worthwhile. They shut down the Vermont factory and moved production to Asian contractors for a few years before discontinuing the brand entirely.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM

I've emailed Cortland, hopefully they can help
Old 04-21-2014, 10:15 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

As I like to opine, Moucheur, "brand" means little but designer and fabricator means all. Cortland totally dropped the ball on this deal. I have written this before but it bares repeating; Years ago, two old buddies and I trailered a skiff to Islamorada in the Keys for a week of DOI tarpon fishing during a full moon. We hooked countless fish between 75 and 135 pounds and broke a record six rods. OK, three guys in a 17' boat in the dark of night with two tarpon on simultaneously is a prescription for a certain number of errors and laughs. All the rods we broke were fabricated in Korea and our three surviving rods were a Sage Xi2, a loaner, one piece JK Fisher and my trusty ,Stu Apte D'Back #12.

I ran into Stu and his wife in Montana several seasons back and asked him what rods he was (trout) fishing with? He looked at me like I was nuts and said, "My Diamondbacks with my name on them of course!"
moucheur2003 and baseman1 like this.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:24 AM

"*Cortland Line Co.*purchased the Diamondback Rod Co. in Vermont in 1995. Unfortunately, we closed the factory in 2003. We no longer have any original*cases or socks for the Aeroflex rods."

The above is a response from Cortland. Looks like a dead end. I'll have to keep searching ex-stockists on the off chance they have some leftover tubes!

Thanks for all the help
Old 04-21-2014, 01:11 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
As I like to opine, Moucheur, "brand" means little but designer and fabricator means all. Cortland totally dropped the ball on this deal. I have written this before but it bares repeating; Years ago, two old buddies and I trailered a skiff to Islamorada in the Keys for a week of DOI tarpon fishing during a full moon. We hooked countless fish between 75 and 135 pounds and broke a record six rods. OK, three guys in a 17' boat in the dark of night with two tarpon on simultaneously is a prescription for a certain number of errors and laughs. All the rods we broke were fabricated in Korea and our three surviving rods were a Sage Xi2, a loaner, one piece JK Fisher and my trusty ,Stu Apte D'Back #12.

I ran into Stu and his wife in Montana several seasons back and asked him what rods he was (trout) fishing with? He looked at me like I was nuts and said, "My Diamondbacks with my name on them of course!"
I started with Cortland at the tail end of DBacks Vermont production. And while there were issues with marketing no doubt, the reality was dealers and in some places customers didn't value the American Built rod over the "hot" Asian rod at the time. Dback was selling for the same retails and sitting on the rod racks. Thru-out their era they made some great rods. The Eastern trout/Areoflex was a great looking rod that was a poor mans Winston. The Diamondglass are still some of the best glass rods ever made. And the Stu Apte was a great durable SW rod. Sadly the resale values of these rods used is also adversely effected.

While the decision to go overseas and the general handling of Dback was no doubt one of in a long litany of Brian Ward bad decisions, in this case it wasn't all his fault. As far as the future, Cortland has not sold the name, and may consider revisiting it as they get the new company more established.