The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By timd
  • 1 Post By dryfliesforever

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 AM

chott2 is on a distinguished road
Default Winston IM6 serial number 85000's ?

Correct me if I'm wrong so these rods would have been a winston blank right before they started making the WT series rods and putting the WT marking on the rod? Just seeing if anybody can help clear this up for me. Are rods in this situation not as nice as the early IM6's. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:39 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winston IM6 serial number 85000's ?

Hello Chott, if you don't get an answer this evening, post again tomorrow and hopefully by then someone with knowledge will see it and reply.

Dave
Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 AM

chott2 is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks. Hopefully someone can help me out.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM

timd will become famous soon enough

Winston started rolling there own blanks with # 43,500. They used the same tapers as the IM6 rods previously produced. Although the exact same tapers with the IM6 and later WT rods the rods after they started making there own blanks are definitely faster rods I own rods before and after that 43500 number in both 5 and 4 weights and they are different . If you want the older IM6 design you want rods with serials before 43500. The names were changed to WT some time after Winston was rolling there own blanks. Hope this helps.
redwing likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:33 PM

dryfliesforever is on a distinguished road

Tim D. Is exactly right.

The original graphite Winston rods (Montana green) were rolled by J. Kennedy Fisher. If it's green and doesn't have a model name, you can be sure it's a Fisher blank. When Winston stopped using the Fisher blanks, (late 1980's) blanks from Loomis were used. It was a higher modulus (still "slower" by today's standards) or, IM6 graphite, hence the IM6 name. I have seen Fisher blanks from the late 80's in the 10xxx serial number range and I have seen Loomis blanks in three digit serial number range. You can always tell if it's a Loomis blank because it will say IM6 and be under the magic number of 43500. That is when Winston started rolling their own blanks, and offering a lifetime warranty. At that time, the Winston blanks were still being labeled IM6, however, many will argue that the Loomis blanks were slower and perhaps, "sweeter" than the Winston rolled blanks with the same name. It's all subject to taste and rod length/variety at this point. In 1994, (I believe it was 1994-don't quote me..) the Winston company changed the name of the IM6 line to WT. Tom Morgan sold Winston in 1991, and so that change came around the time that Winston expanded it's shop and rod lineup.

For example: I have a 3wt. labeled IM6 in the 50xxx serial number range. Its a Winston-rolled blank with a lifetime warranty, supposedly identical to a WT.

You can tell the difference between a fisher, Loomis, and Winston blank just by looking at it. In my opinion, you can tell the difference by casting it too. Pretty sure you could tell the difference between a Fisher and the rest with your eyes closed. These are my favorite rods.

Hope that helps.

-Ryan McCullough
pm287 likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Ryan, Welcome to the Forum and a fine thread response. Are you suggesting in your last sentence that the original J.K. Fisher blanked Winston's are your favorites over the Loomis or in-house versions of the Morgan taper? And do you fish new ownership's B...x series rods too? Note at the top of this Forum, "News", under which is a link to a bit of CBS broadcast video interviewing Tom Morgan.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:05 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryfliesforever View Post
Tim D. Is exactly right.

The original graphite Winston rods (Montana green) were rolled by J. Kennedy Fisher. If it's green and doesn't have a model name, you can be sure it's a Fisher blank. When Winston stopped using the Fisher blanks, (late 1980's) blanks from Loomis were used. It was a higher modulus (still "slower" by today's standards) or, IM6 graphite, hence the IM6 name. I have seen Fisher blanks from the late 80's in the 10xxx serial number range and I have seen Loomis blanks in three digit serial number range. You can always tell if it's a Loomis blank because it will say IM6 and be under the magic number of 43500. That is when Winston started rolling their own blanks, and offering a lifetime warranty. At that time, the Winston blanks were still being labeled IM6, however, many will argue that the Loomis blanks were slower and perhaps, "sweeter" than the Winston rolled blanks with the same name. It's all subject to taste and rod length/variety at this point. In 1994, (I believe it was 1994-don't quote me..) the Winston company changed the name of the IM6 line to WT. Tom Morgan sold Winston in 1991, and so that change came around the time that Winston expanded it's shop and rod lineup.

For example: I have a 3wt. labeled IM6 in the 50xxx serial number range. Its a Winston-rolled blank with a lifetime warranty, supposedly identical to a WT.

You can tell the difference between a fisher, Loomis, and Winston blank just by looking at it. In my opinion, you can tell the difference by casting it too. Pretty sure you could tell the difference between a Fisher and the rest with your eyes closed. These are my favorite rods.

Hope that helps.

-Ryan McCullough
I remember trying my first graphite fly rods at a nice fly shop in downtown San Francisco in the spring of 1991. I tried four different rods, A Sage RPL, Sage LL, Scott PowRply (G series) and Winston IM6. At that time Scott and Winston only had one trout line of rods. I remember the RPL being off the charts too fast for me, the Winston was way slow, with the LL and Scott G being comfortable in the middle, medium action. I had a hard time choosing between the two but it seemed like the Scott had a bit more backbone to handle larger fish, so I went with the Scott G.

Now I also have a 2005 -2006 vintage Winston WT 7'-6" 3 wt and it feels very close to my Scott, it is a very sweet medium action rod, not near as slow as I remember that 91 vintage Winston IM6. Would there be that much difference, or is my memory just off?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM

timd will become famous soon enough

The shorter the IM6 Winston the faster the rod action is in most cases. One of the exceptions was the TMF which was slower than the regular IM6 8 ft rod.