The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 01:45 PM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Loop Opt Stream rods

Being essentially a trusting but increasingly skeptical person as I travel through life, I see that Loop has reduced some of its Opt Stream line from around $530.00 to less than $200.00. Since they received such an outstanding review from Yellowstone Anglers, why is this happening? Am I missing something?
barham
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Loop Opt Stream rods

The Loop rods, especially the single handers, have a very small following in the US. Part of it is because they're not found very many places. I fish a Loop Opti Creek 8' 8" 3 weight that is an awesome rod. Love it. I had a Loop Opti Nymph that was not for me that I utlimately sold.

If you can cast one, you should. They make great rods. If you can't - $200 is a good price to give it a shot and sell if you don't love it.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:24 PM

Chi Flyfisher:
Thanks for the reply. What is your opinion of the Opt Stream 9' 3" 6wt and Multi 9' 5wt. To give you a sense of reference about the rods I use, I enjoy using Sage Zaxis and ZXL 5wt 9', Winston B2x 6wt 9' and St Croix Ultra 6wt 9'.
Thanks,
barham
Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
Chi Flyfisher:
Thanks for the reply. What is your opinion of the Opt Stream 9' 3" 6wt and Multi 9' 5wt. To give you a sense of reference about the rods I use, I enjoy using Sage Zaxis and ZXL 5wt 9', Winston B2x 6wt 9' and St Croix Ultra 6wt 9'.
Thanks,
barham
I haven't cast either the Stream or Multi. For reference, the majority of my fly rods are Sage rods with a couple Loomis rods in 8/9 weights. I enjoy my Opti Creek - if the Opti Stream is similar, it'd be a nice stick. Sorry I'm not more help on those two models.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.
barham
Old 04-24-2014, 05:54 PM

furnacefella will become famous soon enoughfurnacefella will become famous soon enough

Where are these $200 Opti rods? I have been thinking of one for some time.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM

leland fly fishing outfitters "rod sale"
barham
Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM

furnacefella will become famous soon enoughfurnacefella will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
leland fly fishing outfitters "rod sale"
barham
Thanks for that. I have checked out this sale before and they are not listing the rod that has everyone talking, the Opti Stream 9' 5 wt.

From the research I have done the Opti Stream is a very special rod whereas the others in the series are so so.

The 593 Stream (Stillwater) for example is a different taper altogether; apparently a much stiffer and powerful rod.

I have read some decent reviews on the Opti Creek.

The Multi rods seem to be a good value at sale pricing but I think quite ordinary.

$530 for the Opti Stream 590 is actually very reasonable considering the reviews but without a local shop to try one I doubt I will be a buyer. I would most definitely try one at $200 though.

The Opti reels are very nice.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the information.
barham
Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefella View Post

The Opti reels are very nice.
My Opti Creek reel is one of the nicest reels I own.