The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 12:55 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Take Care

As I recall... Wasn't there some disagreement between bees wax and paraffin wax? I "think" the outcome was paraffin is the recommended, or at least most recommended, wax to use?

--Irish Blessing
Old 04-26-2014, 02:33 PM

stokes is on a distinguished road

When I purchased my Orvis Access rod last year,the salesman told me not to use anything on the ferrules.My Orvis Clearwaters have a different style of ferrule and on those I was told to use Pledge,not specifically on the ferrule but as an overall cleaner/protectant.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Some do, some don't, myself I've never waxed and one rod has been fished hard for 35 years.......... Beyond wax, just keep the rod in it's tube when not in use and you'll have a hard time breaking it.
To see all the ways that guys break their rods have a look through this thread; The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Hope your still fishing it 35 years from now,

Ard
shortyb and glacierjohn like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2014, 03:04 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

When in doubt, there's always the manufacturer's recommendation...

Grey's Fly Fishing - Rod Care

I have waxed ferrules...only some...only sleeve-type...and only on occasion. For my fishing, I believe keeping the mating ferrule surfaces clean is most important. As someone stated above, ferrule wax or other "lube" is a great vehicle for grit.

A very thin smear of wax is ample. You're just lubricating the surface, not spackling the wall.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:17 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Some do, some don't, myself I've never waxed and one rod has been fished hard for 35 years.......... Beyond wax, just keep the rod in it's tube when not in use and you'll have a hard time breaking it.
To see all the ways that guys break their rods have a look through this thread; The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

Hope your still fishing it 35 years from now,

Ard
I grew up with fiberglass rod with metal ferrules and learned, right or wrong, to rub the ferrule against my nose. I didn't see the need when I got my first sleeve ferrule rod, a Fenwick Ferulite. I also was never told one way or the other with my Scott rods. So far I have fished that Fenwick for 40 years and the Scott's for 20 without problem, knock wood.

Does Scott, Sage or Winston say anything in their owners info?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Orvis, TFO, and ST Croix too ,,,(i believe st croix does) provide wax when you purchase a rod. I do put a minute film on mine but check it for grit constantly. I de-wax and re-film about ever other fishing trip. But hey, I clean the exteriors of my rods after EVER trip anyways. I'm a fanatic about taking care of outdoor gear,,,having some guns that except for expected gun blue were look the same as they did when I got them 30 years ago. And I use the stufffin' out of them. Proof you don't have to beat your gear up to get the work out of it.

My nephew had a Scientific Anglers outfit and his sections worked loose. He never waxed. I can't say that caused it ,,,but,,,,,

add on...on second thought i think its st croix that gives you wax and tfo doesnt...i'm really just not positive now. I KNOW Orvis does.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 PM

wjl is on a distinguished road

I use a good car wax (100% carnauba) usually once or twice a season, whole rod.
If the rod seems or feels dirty a quick wipe down with pledge and dry it stick it into rod bag and tube. Pledge does well in repelling water and dust.
There was another thread on using q tips to clean around the guides.