The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 08:21 AM

njflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Take Care

So i finally bought my first legit fly rod.(Greys Streamflex XF2 8ft 4wt). I got some questions of how to take care of it. I've heard that you are suppose to wax the feurules. What kind of wax should i use?

Anything else i need to know please post.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:32 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Take Care

I use paraffin that I picked up in the canning section in the grocery store.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I use paraffin that I picked up in the canning section in the grocery store.
do you use it every time you put your rod together or once in a while?
Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Once or twice a season and very sparingly when I do. Others use candle wax rubbed on, and some never wax. If you do wax, it will hold dirt more so watch for that.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My reply needs to be read and thought of in the tone of the commercial with 'The most interesting man in the world', "I don't always wax, but when I do....I use only the oil off my nose."

It works!
shortyb, busbus and repperson29 like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-26-2014, 09:42 AM

is it bad if you dont wax.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by njflyfisher View Post
is it bad if you dont wax.
We had a in-depth discussion on this topic about 2 years ago and the simple answer is YES, it is bad if you don't wax. Orvis recommends it and even supplys wax with every new rod purchase. I re-wax quite often (every 2 or 3 trips) just to make sure no dirt is present that will wear the furrules. Sure some will disagree and tell us they never wax but I wouldn't do that to my rods.

Dave
ts47 likes this.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
We had a in-depth discussion on this topic about 2 years ago and the simple answer is YES, it is bad if you don't wax. Orvis recommends it and even supplys wax with every new rod purchase. I re-wax quite often (every 2 or 3 trips) just to make sure no dirt is present that will wear the furrules. Sure some will disagree and tell us they never wax but I wouldn't do that to my rods.

Dave
i quess ill have to buy some. Either the loon or orvis brand
Old 04-26-2014, 10:46 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use an old beeswax candle end. You don't need to buy anything special.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

The little Orvis container is handy (keeps grit off wax) but canning wax will do.

Dave