The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough
Default casting the winston bIImx 6 wt

Ive been looking for a 6wt for light saltwater,big water streamer chucking and smallmouth with sinking lines. I tried a winston bIImx on the way home for the first time ---the shop salesman and I have about the same casting ability but totally different styles---he is a long smooth stroke and i have a short stroke and hit the wrist turnover hard

if i give it my hardest shot with a short stop, a hard hit and a haul ---ill get a tailing loop---if i back off and extend my stroke it wont---the salesman with his long layed out style will get about 10% more distance without a tailing tendancy

question

Does anyone own one of these?---I havent tried the Scotts or Sages but will one of these have a bit more reserve power and crispness?--Is the rod maxed out with my style moreso than the salesman's style?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: casting the winston bIImx 6 wt

are you carrying the power of the forward stroke and haul toward the hoizontal too far?? ...don't change anything try a sage xi2 and TCR what happens??
Old 03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll also say a Xi2 is a better bet, or maybe even a Z-Axis.

From what I hear, Scott's new salt series is worth a try as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I haven't thrown the 6 weight but the 8 weight B IIMx is a cannon. Lot's of reserve power, I personally preferred it over the Xi2. We did a test at the Louisville show with the Xi2, the B IIMx and the Hardy Zane. The B IImx had the most distance with ease, the Sage seemed to make the medium-long cast a little easier and the Zane was the easiest to cast accurately short to medium especially. They are all excellent SW rods. And all of them will empty a spool for a good caster.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
are you carrying the power of the forward stroke and haul toward the hoizontal too far?? ...don't change anything try a sage xi2 and TCR what happens??
with the rod loaded pretty good off the backcast--on my delivery ,ill stop the rod at somewhere between 12 and 11 and finish the haul to try to keep the loop small---it seems to not do as well as when i back off a bit--im satisfied with the distance but it seems to lack the punch and line speed if i wanted to push it harder into a wind--

i have a 10 and 12 scott s3s that respond very well to the same delivery and seem to have a bit more if you needed it

the midwest flyfishing show next weekend in warren michigan---ill look up those rods and try them at the casting ponds

thanks mike
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I haven't thrown the 6 weight but the 8 weight B IIMx is a cannon. Lot's of reserve power, I personally preferred it over the Xi2. We did a test at the Louisville show with the Xi2, the B IIMx and the Hardy Zane. The B IImx had the most distance with ease, the Sage seemed to make the medium-long cast a little easier and the Zane was the easiest to cast accurately short to medium especially. They are all excellent SW rods. And all of them will empty a spool for a good caster.

Thanks Burk
I was looking for something that will do well in the 50-80 ft range since most of the work it would do would be blind casting for schoolie stripers and smallmouth. I wasnt really concerned about finesse at short range.
Do you know if Hardy will be there in Warren? Im sure Sage, Loomis, Scott, Orvis will all be there. I'm going with a tournament caster hopefully we can make a decision.
Id also like to try a bIImx 7wt with a wf6 line and see how it loads---that might show if its being overloaded.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
Thanks Burk
I was looking for something that will do well in the 50-80 ft range since most of the work it would do would be blind casting for schoolie stripers and smallmouth. I wasnt really concerned about finesse at short range.
Do you know if Hardy will be there in Warren? Im sure Sage, Loomis, Scott, Orvis will all be there. I'm going with a tournament caster hopefully we can make a decision.
Id also like to try a bIImx 7wt with a wf6 line and see how it loads---that might show if its being overloaded.
I'll have the Hardy 7 weight there (Zane). Hardy, just started making a six Zane, but I haven't seen a sample yet. Stop by and say hi. Winston will be there this year, (they have a new rep) so you'll be able to try all three. From what I've seen of those three rods (which are all excellent) it's more a matter of casting style and what feels good to you. I realy like the Hardy seven, I use it in the great lakes for big smallies with a Cortland Western Drifter line.

Image Posting Size Limits
Members shall not link to any images inside their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification.
Members may attach images to posts that are no larger than 620pxls x 280pxls with a total size no larger than 19.5kb. Valid file extensions are bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip
Old 03-04-2008, 11:16 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I don't think the Z-axis or TCR suggestions fit as both rods lack butt section strength for light salt water... the TCR hits a threshold and just buckles (right before it breaks - yes, from experience). The one that comes to mind that I haven't seen suggested yet is the Scott X2s. I've also heard some very favorable things from some of the left coast guys about a Redington model... can't remember which one though, maybe the SS but I thought it less expensive than that.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 PM

well i tried the 6wt z-axis today and it fared better than the Winston for me.

it seemed to cast well long and short --- it responded well to a short stroke tight loop delivery as well as a soft open loop

I think i want to try it with a #4 clouser and see how it does

The Warren Michigan show was out of the question last weekend with waist deep snow in my drive

I also tried a 10' 7 wt tcr with the same 6wt line---i couldnt feel the rod load as well as the z-axis but you could drive tacks with the line speed it generated
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM

well i cast the Winston BIImx and compared it with the Z-axis with a Rio Grand line about 4 more times and the sage was better at the fishable range for me ---the Winston did better with a SA nymph line in ultimate distance---my search has ended ---I bought the Sage Z-Axis.

other rods that didnt do as well (we're splitting hairs now) were the TFO and the Echo with a wonderline

another couple worth mentioning were the fli sage 7wt and underlining with a 6 as well as a sage tcr 7 and underlining also (actually it did the best with a heavy clouser)