The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Scott X2S 908-4 quick review

I cast one of these today, and was very impressed. I've never cast a 8wt that did such a good job of feeling reasonably loaded at 25' and still having the power to throw long VERY well. It's not the first time I've been able to throw the whole line, but it was easier with this rod than with any I've ever cast. I've gotten a bit out of practice casting "big" rods, but with this rod I was instantly throwing good, non-tailing loops, and able to tighten them up with just a little effort.

I can't say for sure what line was on it, but I think it was a demo SA GPX. A lighter line would make it even nicer on the long casts.

I also cast their G2 843/4 (8'4" 3wt) and it was marvelous as well. Definitely a light trout rod that enabled beautiful touch, but I was still easily able to throw 60+ with it.

Now if I can just find that $1300 I left in that pair of jeans.......

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scott X2S 908-4 quick review

Cliff, I have a hard time casting 25' if I'm "reasonably loaded"..... oh sorry I thought you were talking about something else.
mrfzx likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-06-2008, 12:29 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Hi cliff---is that the saltwater rod you quoted in my winston thread?

"From what I hear, Scott's new salt series is worth a try as well."

i have 2 s3s rods and for the life of me i dont know why they discontinued making them--
Old 03-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

strykr- good one, quite funny

Shorthaul, that is indeed the one I was referring to. I don't think I ever cast any of the s3s rods, but I recalled how overly stiff the 4 and 5wt s3's I cast were. You may have noticed I'm quite opposed to overlining, but that 4wt cast better with a 5 on it.

I would guess the X2s is a bit softer than your s3s's, but it was mighty nice, and still got the oomph for long shots.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Cliff---hopefully i can get to detroit saturday to try it but with this huge front coming our way....

the first time i tried a 10wt s3s was on a charter and i was so impressed with the rod that when i wanted to replace my old orvis i tried a 9' s3s 10wt and wasnt overly impressed so i called the charter capt and asked what rod i used---it was the 8'-8" 10wt s3s and he had an 11wt on it

the 9' was maxed out at 80ft with a 10 wt line but after trying the 11 wt on the 8'-8" it was a totally different rod---i dont overline as a rule --a lot of times i will use a line weight under just to get a little reserve for a little extra when needed---that rod is the most impressive 10 wt ive tried for my casting style

i think the s3s has breakage problems at the lower ferrule from what i gather reading
Old 03-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmmmm, the 8'8" length makes me wonder if it was actually a Scott HeliPly, as they were all made in that length. I've got the 9wt version and it is an absolute HOSS as well. I fish a 9 on it and like it VERY well. I just wish I had more opportunities to cast to fish than mandate it.

Since I've got that one, I'd likely get a Scott X2S in a 7wt, should I decide to spend big on a lightish salt rod. However, my family will be growing by a cliffito/cliffita around 10/1/2008, so its not likely anytime soon.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

"Congrats" on the future addition Mr and Mrs BigCliff!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks man.

I'm still getting used to the whole idea, but while driving back to SA tonight I heard this song and realized that it could not have been written by a teenage bluegrass prodigy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUC8xIH4WIh4 because it might be the best father-daughter song ever written. I don't even know yet whether we're expecting a boy or girl, but those lyrics' relevance to fatherhood was deeply felt.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Are you going to find out? or just let it be a surprise?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

We'll be finding out for sure. My wife likes suprises about as much as I like jock itch.