The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road
Default ferrule crack

I have a 2 piece fly rod. I noticed the other day that there is a stright white line inside the sleeve over ferrule about 1 inch long. There is nothing you can feel outside, The ferrule don,t come loose when fishing and it,s about 1/32" wide. It only goes to the start of the guide wrap, think this is a crack or a scrape. I know it,s hard to say without seeing, but anyway, the rod is a Sage XP 990-2 Thanks for any help.

Last edited by grousehunter49; 05-29-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ferrule crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by grousehunter49 View Post
I have a 2 piece fly rod. I noticed the other day that there is a stright white line inside the sleeve over ferrule about 1 inch long. There is nothing you can feel outside, The ferrule don,t come loose when fishing and it,s about 1/32" wide. It only goes to the start of the guide wrap, think this is a crack or a scrape. I know it,s hard to say without seeing, but anyway, the rod is a Sage XP 990-2 Thanks for any help.
Sage has a good warranty, it just cost $50.00. I see you having three choices; 1) Go to a good local fly shop and ask them if it looks like a problem. 2) Send it along with $50.00 back to Sage. 3) Wait for it to break, if it ever does and then send it back to Sage.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When it comes to this type of post nothing beats a good clear macro photograph of the area in question.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Why not just call Sage and ask them?

Without seeing it, and having absolutely no idea as to how Sage or any other company manufactures their ferrule ends, your description to me actually hints at something else though would be ONLY a GUESS.

That being, since the line is straight, .03 wide, white (hinting at a filler in that you didn't say it was an open crack), it sounds more to me as though in manufacture the ferrule is split or relieved, fit to the taper of the male portion, the filler setting up and then is most likely reinforced with wraps, then finished.

Essentially, establishing the minimal taper within the female ferrule to match the males without having to machine that taper in.....Hence the perfect locking fit.

But that is just a guess....Call Sage and ask.

B.E.F.
fredaevans likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replys, makes me wonder, how many of you are fishing with cracked ferrules and don,t know it?????? Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 AM

james w 3 3 has a spectacular aura aboutjames w 3 3 has a spectacular aura about

Not me, my #1 go to rod is one piece!
mridenour likes this.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the replys, makes me wonder, how many of you are fishing with cracked ferrules and don,t know it?????? Thanks again.
I have one with a deep scratch.
I patched it with superglue and that was at least 20 years ago. It's still fine.

Happens either from grit or the ferrule slipping, or both.
Blow into each ferrule end as you put your rod together to prevent #1.
Wax your ferrules to prevent #2
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 AM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I had one. I sent my Scott G904 back to the factory for other issues after eight years of fishing. Only after fixing all did they discover a cracked ferrule, so had to give me a new rod. Who knows how long I was fishing it with that almost invisible crack.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I have two xi3's that both have that white line in the female ferrules just up from the handle. I think it is nothing to worry about, but am curious as to their purpose. All I can think of is to mark the spine for attaching ferrules.

Perhaps a rod builder will chime in.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Business Member

Flygrain is a glorious beacon of lightFlygrain is a glorious beacon of lightFlygrain is a glorious beacon of lightFlygrain is a glorious beacon of lightFlygrain is a glorious beacon of light

I have a Scott and a Sage rod that both have some stress fractures in the ferrules. They are white hair lines in the female end. I think they happen from casting when the ferrules come loose. That is actually a great way to break a rod.
If you cannot see the line on the outside, I agree it is a manufacturing feature.
facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flygr...0954084?ref=hl