The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM

scoutm is on a distinguished road
Default Is there that big of a difference? Old vs. New

For the last 22 years I've fished my trusty and beloved Sage RPL. When reading Fly Rod manufacturer's web sites and various rod reviews they make it seem like the designs, materials and manufacturing advances have left the old rods in the dust. I understand much of it is just marketing but some of it has to be legit but how much of it??

Obviously, the best way to tell is to fish or test the newer rods. Unfortunately, there really aren't any shops nearby that have a wide enough selection to really get a good idea.

How much better is the new stuff?

What real performance improvements have been made?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:09 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is there that big of a difference? Old vs. New

So what exactly are the shortcomings of your current equipment that you would like to resolve with the purchase of newer stuff?

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi scoutm,

Your Sage sounds pretty new to me but then that's a relative thing with fishermen. I've cast some new rods that were undoubtedly great and I would like to have a new Beulah 11' or 13' rod to which I haven't made up my mind....... But on the other hand I am firmly in the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' camp also. Rods are like stereo systems, if you've been listening to the same one for 30 years and it sounds good to you, just stay away from the people with the absolute newest and best systems. They say, 'ignorance in bliss'. If you want to try the new then go for it but don't let the wave of writings or marketing push you away from what has served so well.

Ard
imxer, busbus, troutnut4 and 3 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-01-2014, 12:26 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutm View Post
For the last 22 years I've fished my trusty and beloved Sage RPL. When reading Fly Rod manufacturer's web sites and various rod reviews they make it seem like the designs, materials and manufacturing advances have left the old rods in the dust. I understand much of it is just marketing but some of it has to be legit but how much of it??

Obviously, the best way to tell is to fish or test the newer rods. Unfortunately, there really aren't any shops nearby that have a wide enough selection to really get a good idea.

How much better is the new stuff?

What real performance improvements have been made?
I just turned 65 today and I have gone through different stages in life regarding fly fishing. I started when I was 15 with a very cheap bad Eagle Claw Trailmaster. I pine'd away for a "nice" fly rod like my neighbor's dad had, his was a pre-Browning Silaflex. My Dad and I would peruse the latest catalogs from Garcia-Mitchell every year. Finally after a couple years of summer and afterschool work I could afford to buy that now Browning-Silaflex fly rod that I still have to the day. Shortly after I also bought a Fenwick Ferulite 8 wt to compliment my 6 wt Silaflex.

I used those two rods for the next 25 years without desire for anything new or better, they just caught fish. Then in my 40s I bought my first modern graphite rod, a Scott G-904 that is still my favorite. But with age and more disposable income, plus living a great fly fishing country, I moved into my binge-gotta-have-it period. For the last twenty years I love playing with new and different fly rods, not because I need them, just because it's fun.

S&S can better explain how much better the new rods perform, and I have bought into that a little, but if you have been able to catch fish well with your 20 year old RPL, I don't know how much more pleasure you will get with a new rod.
fredaevans and troutnut4 like this.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:28 PM

scoutm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
So what exactly are the shortcomings of your current equipment that you would like to resolve with the purchase of newer stuff?
No shortcomings that I'm aware of but that's just it...Am I missing out an any real performance improvements that would make fishing more enjoyable?

I really have no burning desire to get a new rod but if the advancements are significant I'm not opposed to it either.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Whats the old line by Dire Straits; "We go to sell these refrigerators, got to move these color tv's". The rod makers have to have "new and improved" to tweak the fickle markets interest. Who would buy "old and unimproved"?

Sage is dropping the much loved salt water rod XI3 for something even "mo better". Feel sorry for the guy who paid $750ish 2 months ago as they are now discounted by 40-45%. I remember when it came out as the newest/best/finest not so long ago. Guess disaster will strike those who stay with these now.

The "knowledgeable" fly shop sales clerks paint a picture of complete obsolescence if you have the top of the line from 10yrs ago. Seems only yesterday Orvis was telling us that sanding the spiral marks off the rod ruined them. Now just about all the rods are smooth.

From what I can "feel" is weight and speed as biggest differences. Rods are much lighter and faster. The lighter weight comes in right handy for 59+ year old shoulders. Faster throws the clunky lead headed & bead headed flies or big bulky indicator and a couple of flies set up that we didn't throw back when.

Reality is if you don't tell the fish that you have a more "mature" rod/reel/line you'll do every bit as good you ever did.

Got a couple of 2 pc Sage FLi's that I picked up for a song because the previous owners were "upgrading". They work superbly.

Pete A.
imxer, fly_guy12955, dar and 1 others like this.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:12 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

One of my fav rods is a 1970'something full flex 5wt. It'd be a star for sure if it just came out today. Love my 1970'something 1wt too..wonderful UL rod. Those two are just as good an any new stuff I have.

Next rod i stretch out is gonna be my Fenwick 7wt fiberglass...that outta be a peach for bass.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 PM

dar is on a distinguished road

As pete a mentioned, rods today are lighter and faster than those of even 10 years ago. To some that may or may not be a big deal. On occassions I still fish bamboo for trout, but when it comes to bass fishing with an 8wt I really appreciate a lighter weight rod. I'm almost 65 so for me when it comes to bigger rods, lighter is better.

Now if someone would make a 9' 8wt med/fast action rod that weighed like a 6wt I'd be happy.

Dave
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:34 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

IMO I think there has been a noticeable improvement in rod design, enabling the fishing enthusiast to enjoy his day on the water. I believe that one has to look back more than a few years to see that improvement. Industry wants you to believe that some miracle has just been performed and the latest will change you life forever. Unless you are a dyed in the wool fanatic about having the latest, not to mention deep pockets for that magic $800.00 wand, you will have to be satisfied with something a lot less. Don't feel bad if you aren't in a position to drop that much coin because you will still catch just as many fish without that new stick and if you wait, get it on closeout in a couple of years. For now, I will have to stick it out with my RPLs until the Sage ONE is dropped from the lineup.
imxer and smilingduck like this.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:42 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Learn how to effectively use what one has and these guys won't know the difference...

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/