3 Weight Rod Choice: 2 or 4 piece?

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
I am an avid fly fisherman but have not purchased a "new" rod in years.

What I am looking for is a 3 wt 2-piece rod for combat fly fish in close qtrs. on small small streams LOL!!!

It has been my experience that the 4 piece rods were more for packing in to a place. To get anything of any usable quality in a 4 piece you'd have to spend big bucks. but I see a lot of the 4 piece in my searches.

I am looking at an Orvis and Reddington 2-piece 3wts...difference in price-oh yeah.

I still like the 2 piece's action...

ANY IDEAS? suggestions favorites... Fishing in Montana and New Hamster in a few weeks.....

thanks

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Assuming you're talking about graphite rods...the manufacturers have been able to design rods that achieve similar/same desired feel in 4 piece rods as the 2 piece rods have had. 4 Piece rods are easier to travel with all the way around.

It may have been the case that to get a quality 4 piece rod you've got to spend big $ but that's simply not true these days. There are so many good options out there at all price points, more options than there have ever been for that matter. That's not to say that you won't feel different actions in the same line weight between different rods, but the del that many reported had been missing is there.

One very popular rod with the forum here is the Redington Classic Trout or CT, there have been many threads, reviews and comments on them. They are priced at $150, but I think there may be places where you can find certain models on sale. I gave 6 weight a wiggle in the fly shop and was pretty impressed for the price. I think if you use the search feature here in the forum or Google your question and add "North American Fly fishing Forum" you will get a plethora of responses to read though.

Don't forget to fill out your profile and location, you will that by doing so, you'll get answers that are more localized to where you are and thus much more valuable content in some cases. Also, if you can identify specific models you're considering, I've no doubt the forum membership will provide you with some valuable intel.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!
I have a favorite 7wt rod that I have used faithfully for years; I have a 5wt reddington that I got in many years ago. I also have some classic bamboo fly rods that my dad gave me that have this classic action on those special rivers. My father in law has a 3 wt. custom rod someone made for himin New Hampshire and I used it a few years ago and now I want my own 3wt. rod.So here i am !!!

I have liked my 5wt. reddington rod as my favorite but that 3 wt.s ability to place a fly precisely somewhere within 15ft has me hooked. haha. I know Orvis, I know St.Croix, Sage...but the newer/obscure rods are worth a new look.

Any model you guys throw out there I will look at and later this week I will tell you how I like my new Rod-AND-reel.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Assuming you're talking about graphite rods...the manufacturers have been able to design rods that achieve similar/same desired feel in 4 piece rods as the 2 piece rods have had. 4 Piece rods are easier to travel with all the way around.

It may have been the case that to get a quality 4 piece rod you've got to spend big $ but that's simply not true these days. There are so many good options out there at all price points, more options than there have ever been for that matter. That's not to say that you won't feel different actions in the same line weight between different rods, but the del that many reported had been missing is there.

One very popular rod with the forum here is the Redington Classic Trout or CT, there have been many threads, reviews and comments on them. They are priced at $150, but I think there may be places where you can find certain models on sale. I gave 6 weight a wiggle in the fly shop and was pretty impressed for the price. I think if you use the search feature here in the forum or Google your question and add "North American Fly fishing Forum" you will get a plethora of responses to read though.

Don't forget to fill out your profile and location, you will that by doing so, you'll get answers that are more localized to where you are and thus much more valuable content in some cases. Also, if you can identify specific models you're considering, I've no doubt the forum membership will provide you with some valuable intel.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I know there are going to have a million and 1 recommendations come your way on these forums when you say "what should I buy". I will second what Jaybo said, you dont have to spend a million dollars to get a nice feeling 4 piece graphite rod.

I have a scad of high end 3wts I love, TXL,ZXL,Circa ,ONE but I have to say a friend of mine let me fish his TFO BVK 8' 3wt a few months back. He had it paired up with a Allen ATS reel and it was a very sweet setup, sort of had me thinking of selling some of what I have, pick one up and line my pockets a bit :eek:

Any of the

Reddington CT
St Croix Avid
TFO BVK
Allen ICON ( a bit steeper in price at $400 but runs right with the $800 rods all day long)
etc etc etc

PS Welcome to the forum, fire away with the questions, this is a great place to get info. Quite frankly had I joined/became more active here earlier it would have saved me thousands in "trying things" without having anyone to talk to about it.

deanb10s

Reaction score
Does anyone, besides me, have a cabelas MTX? I have a 3wt 7'6. It has the new 3M nano resin so it's really light. Paired it with a Ross Evolution 1.5 in copper. I think it fishes nice but I'm only a few years into the sport. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

horsehead

Reaction score
Allen has their ATS reel right now as part of the deal of the week... I have that reel in a size 1 paired with a TFO Pro II 7'6" 3wt and it seems like the two were made for one another!

Kind of hard to see, but the bottom rod is the 3wt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agate

Reaction score
In newer rod there is no difference in performance of 4 piece or 2 piece. Recently I tried both combination with same rod specification and did not experience the difference.

All my rods are 4 pieces , it makes easier to travel with them on plane, even in car.

photoguy

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to cast a 4-pc rod recently, my first. I was fully expecting it to somehow feel differently from the 2-pc that I was accustomed to. It didn't.

plecain

Reaction score
When the Sage Z-Axis was on closeout, I could have purchased either a 2-piece or 4-piece. I took the 2-piece, 8'6" 5 wt.

I've since had a chance to cast the same rod in a 4-piece. I don't see any difference.

M

mridenour

I buy all 4 pc. rods. But I put them in 2 pc cases and rarely break them down into 4 pieces. So, if I were to find a sweet deal on a nice 2 pc. I wouldn't hesitate to save a few bucks. I drive to almost every place I fish...even if it is 1200-1500 miles away and stow the rod tubes in the back of the truck. So getting stowage footprint isn't critical.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
I have narrowed it down to Reddington medium and fast action rods.

Can you guess?

The Classic trout I found on sale for $89. OH YEAH
and the Voyant no sale...

I am sure I can cast either with authority but am more interest in natural stealthy presentation....I keep leaning towards the CT....a crowd favorite.

The reel I use to think didn't make a difference since I used, out of spite, a pluegger medalist for years and a bamboo or fiberglass 7wt. and caught trout like anyone else!

I want to match this rod with an adequate reel.:frogdance

dean_mt

Reaction score
All of my favorite rods are 2-piece, but it is not because they are 2-piece that they are my favorite. My point is they are the rods I always take with me fishing, and while it is kind of a pain to carry a long tube through an airport, but that is a rare occasion for me and the rest of the time it fits fine in the truck.

For a rod under 8' long I would probably opt for a 2 piece and certainly would want to see and cast a short 4-piece rod. In an 8' 4-piece rod it puts three ferrules in the middle 4' of the rod. So unless it is super designed and built rod there is going to be some effect to the action.

jgentile

Reaction score
Here's one more thought...

Split the difference and go with a fiberglass 3pc 3wt. I think you said that this rod would be primarily used in close combat quarters yes?

Glass is perfect for this. They roll cast well and mend line well too. They load in close and the fish on feel can't be beat.

Check out the Redington Butter Stick, Echo glass, Orvis Superfine glass (getting pricey) or if you can wait the "new" Cabela (old taper) CGR series. Avoid the new, now discontinued Cabela CGT as they are not true to line weight unless you want a super, super, super fast glass rod that is not a great performer.

Once you go glass you never go back! :D

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
All of my favorite rods are 2-piece, but it is not because they are 2-piece that they are my favorite. My point is they are the rods I always take with me fishing, and while it is kind of a pain to carry a long tube through an airport, but that is a rare occasion for me and the rest of the time it fits fine in the truck.

For a rod under 8' long I would probably opt for a 2 piece and certainly would want to see and cast a short 4-piece rod. In an 8' 4-piece rod it puts three ferrules in the middle 4' of the rod. So unless it is super designed and built rod there is going to be some effect to the action.
Hey Dean! I started fishing in Msla, in the early 80's and have fished all around Msla, rattlesnake, b'root, rock cr., CF, and my favorite river the Big Hole near Melrose....thought I'd throw that out there. I can't wrap my head around the very thing you are concerned about with that many ferrels in the middle like that....They had better fit really bomber so you don't see any play and like you said affect the action...The thought of 4 pieces in a "cheap" fly rod ( one that isn't $700 ) is akin to expecting great things from a $6 T-bone at a restauraunt. I think I really need to flick one of these 4-piece rods before I buy....

BUT I have a big problem. I hate going to my local brick and mortar to "try" something, then order it on line.

This rod is on sale:

Redington CT Classic Trout Fly Rods : Cabela's

but it is the 8'6" 3 wt. I want the shorter jobby.....I am getting all messed up with the fast, moderately fast and moderate rod rating and I fear I really need to purchase locally to flick before I buy.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Matrix, did you grow up in Missoula? Have you been back lately? I wonder how shocked you'd be by the number of people on the Root in the summer, its become one of the top 5 fished rivers in the state. When moved here in '98 I lived on the tracks really close to Rattlesnake, I love fishing that little creek. O...and the BH at Melrose, say no more!

What do mean you can't wrap you mind around my thoughts on a four piece rod? If its 8' then you have four 24" sections, and three ferrules in the the middle 4' of a pretty light rod. If its not a really well designed rod, I would worry about sacrificing smooth action for compact size. But I would trust the big guys; Sage, Orvis, Scott, etc.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
Matrix, did you grow up in Missoula? Have you been back lately? I wonder how shocked you'd be by the number of people on the Root in the summer, its become one of the top 5 fished rivers in the state. When moved here in '98 I lived on the tracks really close to Rattlesnake, I love fishing that little creek. O...and the BH at Melrose, say no more!

What do mean you can't wrap you mind around my thoughts on a four piece rod? If its 8' then you have four 24" sections, and three ferrules in the the middle 4' of a pretty light rod. If its not a really well designed rod, I would worry about sacrificing smooth action for compact size. But I would trust the big guys; Sage, Orvis, Scott, etc.
we come back every few years and will be there next week for a week. I loved fishing way up the rattlesnake where you can fish again. I have pulled out some really huge lunkers way up there on the way to Stuart. You can fish all the up to the reservoir then can't for another 3 miles?????

I have always used 2 piece rods. The big guys have the big price....You know the small rod would be perfect for up the rattlesnake, west fork of the BR. compact size never was a concern until now and it still isn't.....less to worry about with a 2 piece... mor soon Dean-Vince

---------- Post added at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

I am gonna stop will this real soon and give everyone a break so here I think is my finding for bang:

Reddington CT 7'6" ( 376-4 ) 3-wt
Orvis Battenkill Barstock & extra spool OR Reddington Surge 3/4

Really wanted a 2 piece but I know reddington and they can't suck and still be reddington. Too bad the rod on sale isn't 7'6", the extra foot ( 8' 6") would make a difference on a combat stream.

noreaster

Reaction score
Lots of good advice there
I use a St.Croix Imperial 4 wt 7 foot 6 I think not sure if they make a 3 wt
I love the rod for the very waters you are describing. Light, delicate and fairly fast.
Mine is 2 piece
I like two piece less parts to break and align especially with finer rod pieces.
I've always preferred 2 piece rods but I'm more old school and don't travel too often with my rods.
When in use all my 4 piece rods stay together in two pieces anyway.