The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By von behr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 07:56 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Sage Xi3 replaced by SALT

Well, it's official. Sage has announced the replacement for the Xi3...it's called the SALT. Good deals on Xi3 rods are starting to pop up out there for those who have been contemplating a saltwater purpose-built rod.

I have two of the Xi3's in different weights, a 6 and a 9. They are fast-action, smooth rods, and have performed wonderfully in the ocean. I don't know what the new ones will bring to the table that the Xi3 doesn't already have.

Anyway, here's the scoop from Sage on their new offering:

The New Sage SALT Precision and Power | Sage Fly Fishing

If anyone has insight on the new rod, please chime in.

Cheers,

-VB
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 AM

moneill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Xi3 replaced by SALT

Hi, I've heard the prototype is excellent and the final product is an improvement. I've ordered a 10 weight - I'll keep you posted
Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

How is the new one improved? I'm really interested to know the differences. Please elaborate.

Thanks,

-VB
Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I've only seen SALT in images but the relevant "improvement" is its incorporation of Sage's vaunted Konetic technology, a fiber compression scheme that makes their newest rods lighter, stronger, slenderer and even more responsive. SALT joins ONE, Circa and unbelievable TCX replacement, Method Konetic rods and I expect a lot of it...I have a #9 on my wish list. More should be announced today or tomorrow at IFTD in Orlando. I have just returned from my annual month long camping trip in Montana and Idaho and we had ONE, Circa and Method in camp along with a pile of other fine rods and ONE#5 and Method#6 saw the lion's share of dry fly time on the water.