Falling in love with my glass Superfine

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
7 1/2', 4wt Superfine glass,,is THE rod for small to average size streams. Accurate with ease to 60ft and does wonderful in close,,very wonderful.

Used it this evening and brought about a 3lb smallie to hand. Had total control every second of the fight. But, even the small gills I caught were a blast. This is probably going to be my best all around rod. One thing for sure, I'm a solid lover of glass rods lately.
BTW, olive size 12 wooly bugger of my own making was the fly of the day today. Never did switch out. Although some of the fish I've caught have been small, I've probably caught in excess of 30 fish on this one bugger (keep it in my fishing hat),,but its a ragged mess now...and been sharpened a couple times ,,,so I guess a new one will take it's place. One lucky fly for sure.

Mike

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats on the new rod! I have been eyeing that same size myself, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Larry, what I like most about the casting aspect of this rod,,is how it seems to load up energy from the butt section all the way up thur the tip and onto your line,,even though it's a 'full'ish' flex rod. But,,it's not a noodle either,,more of a progressive full flex with some power IN the butt. I think Orvis nailed it with this particular rod,,and maybe with the entire glass series. I've only dealt with the one I own ,,,so I can't really say about the other two offerings. I will say,,for glass,,it IS super sensitive. There were instances were I'd be changing my position in the stream and just let my wooly swing and hang downstream,,and you could fell the bugger rolling over the gravel in the creek...all the way into your hand. I think it is as sensitive as my Superfine graphites and that is saying something.

these go to 11

Reaction score
I would like to cast one of these soon. My favorite of all my rods is my 3wt SFT, and I think the 4wt Glass could be an awesome all around rod for my area from what I have heard and read about it.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

it's so good to hear that you're enjoying the rod. I remember when you were considering and then actually bought it. If I recall I chimed in on that thread and voted in favor based on experiences with my old Orvis Full Flex glass that I like so much. I'm still fishing big waters for large fish at this time but by fall will have my glass and bamboo rods out to target smaller streams and fish.

Always good to hear about a happy outcome :)

jastrout

Reaction score
First I fish mainly glass and have two other 7'6" 4 three piece sticks the Lamniglass and Winston Retro. The three piece lamni blank is no longer available and the two piece is entirely different casting rod. Obvious the Winston is long gone. Now both of these rods are slower and well loved by us glass addicts but the Superfine is much more versatile and it comes down to in my hands application and change your stroke. The lamni can toss line as far BUT again it is best used with dries( not green drake size) , soft hackles , small nymphs and ants and beetles. Use the right flies slow down and allow the rod to load and the two slower softer rods are amazing fishing tools. However the Orvis is a great application in todays world of graphite while the others are more from older era. The Orvis can easily handle a WF 5 and double nymphs rigs and as Mike described moderate streamers. I switch to a slightly snapped stroke and this rod sings. Again Orvis did a great job in design, aesthetics and price point. Yes they are New less costly glass now available and that is fine and they fill a sales level at that price level. Neither come close to Orvis glass.

scgobbler

Reaction score
This was my first trout rod I still use it over others

Sent from the Gobblers Roost using Tapatalk

jgentile

Reaction score
Once you go glass...

I have read that the 7'6 4wt is the sweetheart of the three offerings. Might have to get a blank when they become available to builders.

luked

Reaction score
I have been eyeballing the superfine series also for. Short dry fly rod. Just need to cast both of them the glass and the touch series and see which I like the best

fox

Reaction score
The Touch with its sales price is hard to say no to. It probably performs the best out of the two also, but glass is just so much more FUN!

fox

Reaction score
The 3wt would fish a lot like the 1wt I would think. Go try one out :)

Well, add me to the Superfine Glass Club! Just got my 805 today. Can't wait to fish it in the park!

The 4000dd reel is a little on the light side for this rod. After I sell some more toys I will be looking to get a 5000dd reel.

barham

Reaction score
I recently finished a 7 1/2 ft 4wt fiberglass blank from T L Johnson. It certainly seems to cast nicely and easily. I am going to the Gunnison, CO next week for a week and look forward to using as a break from my normal 5 and 6wt graphite rods.
barham

longbow42

Reaction score
I would like to cast one of these soon. My favorite of all my rods is my 3wt SFT, and I think the 4wt Glass could be an awesome all around rod for my area from what I have heard and read about it.
I went to the local Orvis last week and cast the SF Glass in 3 wt. I'm going back to buy it. I bought me a new US made CFO III yesterday to go with it. They balanced perfectly. Can't wait to use it. Sweet little rod for my local wild trout stream.

jastrout

Reaction score
I recently added the 805 to the 7'6" 4 wghts . I have a wide diverse collection of custom glass by Mike Mcfarland, Larry Kenney, Fred Paddock and the Orvis glass are awesome casting rods. These are strong progressive acton with quick recovery tips. Not soft action glass like lamniglass and anyone liking the Orvis Superfine Touch graphite will enjoy these rods. Orvis had the sense to hit a good price point as well.

mike_r

Reaction score
One glass rod I will never surrender is my K serial # Fenwick FF755. It is all beat up, sun-faded and still fishes great! In a few years I will use it to teach my grandson's how to flyfish with it:D

1spd1way

Reaction score
I have my winston bIIIx up for sale.
My rod of choice to replace it is the 8' 5 wt superfine glass.
Most review are about the 4wt....over line it with a 5? Hmmmm.....

jastrout

Reaction score
I have both 7'6" & 8' and glass rods often have ability to cast up or down a line. The 7'6" with true weight four line was just fine but strong enough not to be overloaded with 5. One could try GVX or Rio Grand 4 line as they are heavier. Having a few glass sticks I would fish it with straight 4 line. The 805 is a very versatile rod and hate to label but possibly an real all around rod. Not all glass have those abilities. Orvis got these things right!