The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 10:48 AM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default New Winston.....

Damn......

The decision is getting more difficult!

The Wading Room | Simms Fishing Products
Old 07-13-2014, 06:00 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Winston.....

Sneak peak.....

New For 2015: Introducing The Winston Nexus | Pisciphilia by Fishwest

With this and the Scott Tidal.....

I looks as though the mid-price point market is being targeted this year, with the exception of the "SALT" from Sage.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:10 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Worth a look for me. (unless this one is also labeled as fast or ultra fast.)
Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm curious as to who designed this rod.
Black with modern fast tapers. Bye, bye Winston, hello Ondaatje Rods.
labtrout likes this.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post

Yeah, that is a far cry from the "Green" but I recon its because it isn't an $800 rod. Only other Winston that I know of to be anything other than green was the Vapor.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:12 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Interested to see how this falls in the lineup and if it has any effect on GVX. Similar price point, all graphite, all around rod? But then again, it isn't green and I don't know where it will be manufactured?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:30 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default New Winston.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
Interested to see how this falls in the lineup and if it has any effect on GVX. Similar price point, all graphite, all around rod? But then again, it isn't green and I don't know where it will be manufactured?

OnTheHunt's link leads to a write-up that quotes a blurb from Winston stating that the new rod will be made in Twin Bridges.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the GVX.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 PM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That piece in the link has all the typical BS marketing hype: "revolutionary," "new light all-graphite smooth action," "premium" but affordable, "fantastic new high performance," "redefine the high modulus all-graphite rod category," "innovative," "legendary ultra-smooth ‘Winston Action’."

Sounds to me like a black GVX. Clearly, the sell is the sizzle, not the steak, and my guess is that the GVX - a smooth, useful, affordable rod - is history.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by labtrout View Post
That piece in the link has all the typical BS marketing hype: "revolutionary," "new light all-graphite smooth action," "premium" but affordable, "fantastic new high performance," "redefine the high modulus all-graphite rod category," "innovative," "legendary ultra-smooth ‘Winston Action’."

Sounds to me like a black GVX. Clearly, the sell is the sizzle, not the steak, and my guess is that the GVX - a smooth, useful, affordable rod - is history.
Without actually picking up the rod to test cast and fish, why do you just assume they are lying? I agree marketing words from the manufacturer don't mean anything, actual reviews by unbiased reviewers will mean more, but I don't just assume the new rod is junk. Innocent until proven guilty.

John
winstonwt likes this.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:47 PM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierjohn View Post
Without actually picking up the rod to test cast and fish, why do you just assume they are lying? I agree marketing words from the manufacturer don't mean anything, actual reviews by unbiased reviewers will mean more, but I don't just assume the new rod is junk. Innocent until proven guilty.

John
I never said it was junk. I said it sounds like an updated GVX. I also never said the were lying, I said it was marketing hype. Words should have meaning, and descriptions should be accurate. The overuse of words like "revolutionary" is silly and ineffective.
Hardyreels likes this.