The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thenewlushlife
  • 1 Post By furnacefella

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 04:43 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sage ACCEL

So I spoke with Chris Anderson from sage a few weeks ago regarding the upcoming sage accel series of rods.

A common rumor floating around is that accel will be a re-make of the AMAZING z-axis series, due to a quote by sage reps stating "accel will be made with the same gen5 graphite as the z-axis" obviously that doesn't mean it will be the same or even a similar rod. Chris confirmed that it was a misunderstanding, and that Accel is a new taper.

Anyway Chris stated that he had tried every rod in the line up including the speys, switches, and single handers. He said the rod is a medium-fast blank, I then asked, will it be a similar blank as the VXP? He answered, that it would bend lower down the blank similar to the VXP, instead of rods such as ONE or method. And that it would have a progressive action and touch. Given that I'm a technical junkie when it comes to rods I just needed more so I pressed a little harder, I could tell he didn't want to divulge too much info before it's release, understandable. At any rate if I recall correctly, I remember him saying its sort of a cross between VXP and ZXL series. That sounds like an amazing rod to me. One thing is clear, sage is coming out with a rod that's not ultra fast, yet a great all around trout rod that folks from all sides of the spectrum can enjoy.

If someone on this forum has been able to use a prototype Accel, we would love to hear your input. I can't wait to try this rod, it's always fun when one of the most innovative and high end rod companies on earth comes out with something new, however I will deeply miss the INCREDIBLE VXP series.

Anyway, so that's the skinny I got from sage, Accel will NOT be a z-axis remake.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Business Member

tridentfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage ACCEL

I had the chance to cast the Accel. I'd say it's more similar to the VXP than the Z-axis. A nice med-fast rod that's going to be great at dries, but not as accurate/light as the Circa and not as fast as the ONE/Z-axis.

We'll have a review up on our blog soon.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:37 AM

furnacefella will become famous soon enoughfurnacefella will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage ACCEL

As a sales and marketing guy, I find the $600 price point an interesting position and a mistake IMO.

I think it would be safe to say that anyone that can afford a $600 rod can afford pretty much any rod they want. Not only will the Accel need to be somewhat superior to the fine rods available in the $300-$500 range, it will also need to compete with the likes of Zenith, NRX, Radian, etc. and even the One/Circa.

In the $400-$500 range, I believe there are some folks that would forgo a top end line or reel to step up from the $200-$300 rod range ..... IF (yes that is a big IF) they really wanted a Sage.

I also believe that many folks that own a top end rod would like to add a "specialty" rod or two but don't feel comfortable dropping another $600-$800 for a rod they seldom use. A spring creek rod or that once a year trip to the tropics comes to mind. They don't want to cheap out with a "starter" model either and ruin their trip so I would think the $300-$500 range would be the place to be.

IMO they have dropped the Accel into no man's land. Is it a top end rod at a discount price or a mid-range rod at an inflated price? Is it worth double the price of a BVK, Streamflex, Heritage or even Sage's own offering the Approach? Can it even compete with the Opti Stream, Echo3, Icon or Winston GVR that come in at a hundred or more dollars less? If it does swim with the big fish, is it not just taking sales from One and Circa?

Time will tell, but I think they had it exactly right with the VXP price point.

Having said all of that, I hope it is an awesome rod and that Sage has produced a winner.
ted4887 likes this.