The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By audax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM

marky3130 will become famous soon enoughmarky3130 will become famous soon enough
Default Thomas & Thomas "Special Dry Fly" Information

I can't seem to find much information on this rod. Any one know anything about them? This one I'm looking at has a down locking reel seat with slide ring. It's a beautiful rod that I would appreciate knowing more about.

Approximate year of manufacturer?
Original retail price?
Estimate of value?

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:37 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Thomas & Thomas "Special Dry Fly" Information

Age? My best guess is about 1987 +/- 5yrs
IIRC, T&T offered a small selection of rods named "Special Dry Fly" that varied slightly in length and line weight in the very late 70s. I believe these rods had unsanded blanks and nickel silver ferrules. At the time, this was probably the only T&T graphite rod that had a "name."

Sometime in the early 80s, I believe all of the rods in what would be called the "State of the Art" series were named, but there was now only one SDF model. The sole SDF was 8' for DT4/WF5 line. The blank was sanded and clear coated. About this time, T&T moved to their version of an internal spigot ferrule. (I have a bit earlier unnamed model with a sleeved ferrule). The reel seat was impregnated rosewood ("PermaWood") with nickel silver band, pocket and grip checks.

I don't recall any models from this early series offered after the early 1990s. It seems to me the graphite offerings became the LPS, Horizon and Paradigm models.

Original retail? $305 in 1987. They were priced just a few dollars more than the Orvis "Superfine" models of the day.

Value? Whatever they'll pay! These rods were beautiful examples of simple aesthetics, kind of like a polished up superfine. I'm not an appraiser, but I would think a SDF in "good used" condition with bag & tube should bring near $300. In well preserved condition, perhaps $400+ from an enthusiastic buyer. There were a couple "bantam" models in the series that may be of greater interest to collectors.
labtrout likes this.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM

marky3130 will become famous soon enoughmarky3130 will become famous soon enough

Wow. Thanks for the effort you put into your response. This is great information
Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 PM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by audax View Post
Age? My best guess is about 1987 +/- 5yrs
IIRC, T&T offered a small selection of rods named "Special Dry Fly" that varied slightly in length and line weight in the very late 70s. I believe these rods had unsanded blanks and nickel silver ferrules. At the time, this was probably the only T&T graphite rod that had a "name."

Sometime in the early 80s, I believe all of the rods in what would be called the "State of the Art" series were named, but there was now only one SDF model. The sole SDF was 8' for DT4/WF5 line. The blank was sanded and clear coated. About this time, T&T moved to their version of an internal spigot ferrule. (I have a bit earlier unnamed model with a sleeved ferrule). The reel seat was impregnated rosewood ("PermaWood") with nickel silver band, pocket and grip checks.

I don't recall any models from this early series offered after the early 1990s. It seems to me the graphite offerings became the LPS, Horizon and Paradigm models.

Original retail? $305 in 1987. They were priced just a few dollars more than the Orvis "Superfine" models of the day.

Value? Whatever they'll pay! These rods were beautiful examples of simple aesthetics, kind of like a polished up superfine. I'm not an appraiser, but I would think a SDF in "good used" condition with bag & tube should bring near $300. In well preserved condition, perhaps $400+ from an enthusiastic buyer. There were a couple "bantam" models in the series that may be of greater interest to collectors.
I once owned an SDF and everything Audex said about it is spot-on. The only thing I would add is that T&T offered an XL series between the named "Heritage" rods and the LPS and Horizon series. The 8' 4-weight XL was very similar, just had slightly different hardware.

I think my Special Dry Fly dates from 1986. If you have a chance to pick one up in nice condition for around $300, I think it is well worth it. The rod will feel slow by today's standards but it is as sweet-casting, full-flexing and accurate as you could ever want and very lightweight. One caveat: it is aptly named, not the kind of all-purpose rod you would want to use for nymphs and streamers. I would dare say it is a classic not unlike the Winston TMF, also an 8' 4-weight.

Last edited by labtrout; 07-21-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM

bwf is on a distinguished road

Grab it and go have a blast!!! Sweet rod and those earlier TnT rods are beauties (IMHO)
Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 PM

If anyone is interested in purchasing the rod let me know. I purchased a different rod from the individual who owns it and they showed me this one and I didn't know anything about it. I can point you in their direction.

I learned a lot from this thread today!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 PM

Rod is no longer available. Rod sold to a member who sent me a pm and I got them in touch. Thanks