The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Faster rod or slower rod in this situation?

Okay, I probably think too much but I have been thinking about this for a little while now.

Let's say you are thinking about using smaller dries today, so you decide to go out with a 4wt to cast those little things. As the day goes on, you realize they are not hitting anything you offer so you realize they are hitting, say, hoppers. You have some in your box but they are sort of on the big side. In fact, more of a 5wt than a 4wt. Would it be better if you had a faster rod or a slower rod in that situation?

In other words, is one more "versatile" than the other?

Just wondering...been sort of slow in here.

Thanks,
rat
Old 08-08-2014, 09:15 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faster rod or slower rod in this situation?

Really what would be best is if you had a spare spool with a 5 wt line. Most 4 wt rods will cast a 5 wt line just fine.

My personal preference is a fast rod for nymphing and a medium fast for dry fly fishing. Over all if I had to choose between the two, I would choose the fast rod because I could still fish dries with it, and if I had to fish larger dries out west into the wind, the faster rod would be more able to cast into the wind. I could even over line it to cast into the wind.

The answer really boils down to the river I am fishing. On the Madison River which has no cover to block the wind and is a huge river that can require some big flies at times, I will choose a faster rod as the better all around rod. But in my smaller tree lines stream of Wisconsin, I will never need to cast that far or have to fight the winds that are common out west. So I use a lower weight medium fast rod or even a moderate flex rod. It is more versatile in the sense it that it protects the lighter tippers and the fish give me a better fight on those rods.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Depends on the water. My rod MUST load in close.....but I could and can do it all with a moderate rod.
Were I on big, big water, I'd no doubt go with a faster rod.

Prob dont help much,,but that's my take.
mcnerney and busbus like this.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

If I know I am going out to use size 18 and smaller dries all day I will use my Circa which is very full flexing or medium action. If am doing the same on small river I take a TXL 1wt which is medium fast. I have had a full flexing 1wt but at that small it had no backbone to defeat a 1mph breeze.

As others have said med-fast is very versatile.

It's all relative though , Sage calls the ONE fast and Allen calls their ICON fast. I find the ICON to me is more like the TXL and that by Sage's definition is medium fast.

Definitely if I'm using bigger nymphs like stonefly patterns with a strike indicator I will use a fast rod like the ONE or Zaxis
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

Glass 6wt. Delicacy and fish fighting feel of a grahite 4wt and payload capacity of a graphite 6wt. Vintage Fenwick 6wts go for $50-$80 on that evil auction site.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_durden View Post
Glass 6wt. Delicacy and fish fighting feel of a grahite 4wt and payload capacity of a graphite 6wt. Vintage Fenwick 6wts go for $50-$80 on that evil auction site.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Question about those older glass rods. Whenever you see 6wt, what does that correspond to in today's terms? 4wt? 5wt? I was just wondering how you determine what to line it with?

How about when it is marked 5wt or 9wt? Is there a conversion?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:37 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

It's very helpful to measure the rod yourself. All you need is a ruler and a scale to measure the ERN. If you use actual pennies, you don't even need the scale.

For the speed (action angle) you need a protractor or a digital level.

Here's a link: www.common-cents.info/CCS_basic_Layout_1.pdf
Old 08-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
It's very helpful to measure the rod yourself. All you need is a ruler and a scale to measure the ERN. If you use actual pennies, you don't even need the scale.

For the speed (action angle) you need a protractor or a digital level.

Here's a link: www.common-cents.info/CCS_basic_Layout_1.pdf
This is great. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what the others have already stated, but wanted to show you this video on the Orvis site where the guy that did the video is using the Orvis Superfine Touch 9 ft 4 wt rod casting hoppers on a small stream. Also note that as Silver pointed out, this is small stream fishing in a no wind condition.
Video: Casting Hoppers to Big Browns with a Superfine Touch | Orvis News
busbus likes this.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:20 PM

tyler_durden will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Question about those older glass rods. Whenever you see 6wt, what does that correspond to in today's terms? 4wt? 5wt? I was just wondering how you determine what to line it with?

How about when it is marked 5wt or 9wt? Is there a conversion?
Seems like most folks who use glass rods agree that they work equally well with 2 or 3 different line weight classes. So you could expect a Fenwick 6wt like the 806 to cast well with a 6wt line, a 7wt line (maybe when you expect to hold less line in the air), and even an 8wt line for loading with very little line out or performing mainly waterborne casts.

I use the same logic with graphite rods as well. Sure, different weight lines cast differently, but its not difficult to adjust your casting to suit. I often feel like establishing the AFTM rating system has caused many fishermen to limit themselves with regards to their tackle. I suppose $90 flylines and $300 reels is another reason why folks don't have a lot of different lines.