The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 03:35 PM

jamecpaz is on a distinguished road
Default I need Help identifying an antique fly rod!

I need help identifying an antique bamboo fly road. I've email countless places online without any responses so I figured this forum might provide answers. I don't know much about it except it's bamboo with odd eyelets. It doesn't have any "markings" which I can find. It is in poor condition and I'm trying to figure out what it is and value to determine if it's worth me finding a professional rod restorer to fix it or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Click the image to open in full size.
fredaevans and fox like this.

Last edited by jamecpaz; 08-10-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old 08-10-2014, 03:39 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I need Help identifying an antique fly rod!

You probably need to post a lot of good pictures for anyone to help much. At one time there were a lot of bamboo rods out there. Some were very valuable, some not so much. Hard to make any type of determination without seeing the rod.

BTW, welcome to the site!
fredaevans likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the reply... yes, I just uploaded the photos!!! Thanks for the welcoming!!!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:53 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

Have you checked out The Classic Fly Rod Forum They were very friendly and helpful identifying an EW Edwards rod that I have. That forum is just as outstanding as this one.

I even correspond with the author of "Playing With Fire" and noted authority on E.W. Edwards rods. There are equally helpful and friendly folks on that forum as here!

There is a specific format, including pictures and other information that they request to help identify a rod, and that's more than appropriate since similar requests are so frequent and this is only being respectful of someone else's time.

Good luck! Never seen line guides like that, but lots of good reading and pictures on classificflyrodforum.com as well.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Is it bamboo? Or could it be wooden ? It looks very old to me.

How long is it ? Are all the sections the same length ?

Somebody over on the Classic Fly Rod Forum may be able to recognize those guides in a heartbeat.
But I'm thinking that they were homemade.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the help! I'll check them out.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 AM

I think I found it, thanks to the "Classic Fly Rod Forum"!! But I need it confirmed!!

I found it in the 1891 Thos H. Chubb catalog!!! It's Rod #25...!!!!!

Thanks "moxnichts"... I really appreciate it!!!!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamecpaz View Post
I think I found it, thanks to the "Classic Fly Rod Forum"!! But I need it confirmed!!
I found it in the 1891 Thos H. Chubb catalog!!! It's Rod #25...!!!!!
I don't think so.
The guides are right so it's likely a Chubb, but I still think that your rod is wood, not bamboo.
Here's what Schwiebert had to say in his book Trout Tackle-Two

page 7
Quote:
Thomas Chubb was a major manufacturer of fishing tackle in 1882 with a surprisingly large plant in Vermont. Although his catalogue advertised bamboo fly rods, it's principal emphasis still lay with ash and lancewood. The Orvis catalogue published in 1884 included rods of ash, lancewood, hornbeam, and split bamboo alike. Chubbb published another catalogue in 1890. It still included rods of ash, lancewood, and greenheart, but it gave a place to the growing prominence to bamboo construction.
page 36
Quote:
Other makers continued to work with hickory, ash, bethabara, greenheart, snakewood, lemonwood, and lancewood and had a solid following of anglers slow to accept the advantages of split bamboo. Such exotic woods were used until well after the First World War and were found in the catologues of first-rate tackle firms like Thomas Chubb, Von Lengerke & Detmond, and the celebrated William Mills & Son

Last edited by Rip Tide; 08-11-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:57 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

It sure looks like a wood rod. Even an octagon Bamboo rod would have flats on it. That blank looks to be too round to be Bamboo. I think its even older than the vast majority of Bamboo rods. Either way it is a fantastic find and you are lucky to have any rod that old with all the components. I am not sure I would even have it "restored" as there are very very few folks with the knowledge to restore it correctly.

Whatever you do don't let a restorer remove the patina. If they say they need to do it for a complete restoration tell em to **** off. If anything I would have the guides, that are off the blank, re-wrapped, with a like for like thread and have them finished to look like the original wraps and leave it at that.

Just my $.02
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 08-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
It sure looks like a wood rod. Even an octagon Bamboo rod would have flats on it. That blank looks to be too round to be Bamboo.
Before they knew any better, some split bamboo rods were sanded round.
Still.... there's be ghost/glue lines and a lot more intermediate wraps, and there's not

I wouldn't do anything to that rod either. Even if it's not in "displayable" original condition now, fixing it up is not going to increase it's value at all.
And those wraps that are there now... they're not original. They would have been much more decorative.
If the rod is not the proper length, I would have to think that any value might be in the resale of those guides and ferrules