The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 AM

yankees12 is on a distinguished road
Default So many rods and reel, so many choices.

Hey guys, I am fifteens years old and started fly fishing last year using a walmart Martin outfit. The plastic drag stripped out in three days and since have been using a very cheap shakespeare reel. I have been looking at some low cost begginners outfits, and I also have a few questions of my own. My budget is around 200 dollars because that is all I have saved up at the time.

I was looking at the Redington Red Fly2 4 weight 7' 6" outfit thats comes with a reel,rod,backing,line, and case for around 200. The rod has a lifetime warranty but the reel only a one year warranty, has anyone ever used these reels?

I was also looking at the Albright GP and the St.Croix Reign rods, but having trouble finding a nice reel to go along. I am a bit shaly about buyging a cheap reel because I am afraid the drag will strip out, but I really cant spend over 50-60 dollars.

Overrall, hopefully you guys have tried some of this equipment and could give me some feedback on the rods and provide me with some nice low coast reel options.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: So many rods and reel, so many choices.

the martin I have is just a plastic click drag that didn't adjust. mine still works. since then I have gotten a few new rods. if ya don't have lots of money to spend try a cabelas brand rod. I have one in a 8wt. so far so good. I too looked at the redington. what do you usually fish for?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:17 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

When I started out I used hand me down Orvis equipement from my Dad. Still have it all and it still works great. I just recently bought 2 complete outfits from orvis to use as client rods guiding this summer. You should go to Orvis.com and check out the outfits or just the clearwater reels

Davo

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-16-2008, 06:36 PM

I usually fish for trout and I was looking at the Orvis reels is the clearwater quality?? Also, I was looking at Pfleuger has anyone tried their reels, my local shop caries them and I wanted to know if anyone else has tried them. Also, how is redington's rod and reels?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Yukon Jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees12 View Post
I usually fish for trout and I was looking at the Orvis reels is the clearwater quality?? Also, I was looking at Pfleuger has anyone tried their reels, my local shop caries them and I wanted to know if anyone else has tried them. Also, how is redington's rod and reels?

The Pflueger Medalist reels are very though reels, I used them for many years and beat the **** out of it and it always held up just fine. Hard to go wrong with one in my opinion.

Yukon Jack
Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

depends what you fish for in my opinion. bigger fish = better, more expensive drag. gills = basically something to hold line cause they hardly ever take you for a ride.... I looked at pfleugler and they look good to me. I am gonna get me another orvis reel tho this time.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 AM

TCF is on a distinguished road

you might check with Gander Mt. (if there's one in your area) I picked up a SA 5 wt kit (rod, reel, line, backing, leader x 2, video, and fly case) for $80 not too long ago. It is a great little rig. Like previously stated it depends on what your fishing for but this is a good all around rig.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

here is what I would recommend for you.

Albright rod. I have and fish with one and it is quickly becoming my favorite.

You can get the GP rod on Ebay right now for about $65 or you can find it elsewhere on sale.

Couple that with the Okuma Sierra reel which will run you about $30. This reel is a very nice one and it will handle all your fishing. It has a great drag system on it too.

Another option for a rod is the Redington Crosswater. I have fished them and I can tell you they are good. And at $59 you really cannot go wrong.

This is going to save you a few dollars in your account too.

Let us know what you do and good luck!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

For your budget I suspect the reel will be fine. There is a theory that when it
comes to smaller trout the main purpose of the reel is to hold line and that drag isn't that important.

Down the road you can always upgrade.

Randyflycaster
Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 PM

Okay here is my thinking.....

Annually, I go to a lake with my grandpa about 4 times a year for some trout fishing, but regularly fish this small local stream. I was thinking of puchasing a nice 4 wt sup to blnce the neds of both. I am pretty set on a 4 wt aroun 7' 6" to prevent tangles on my stream and my grandpa has a boat so distance is not a huge issue on the lake.

My choices....

1.) Redington Red.Fly 2 Fly Rod Outfit 7'6", 4wt, 2pc - $200.00 comes with line,backing, leader, rod, reel, and case. One year reel warranty and lifetime rod warranty.

2.) Albright GP rod- $65.00. Also, need a reel, line, and case. I was thinking a orvis clearwater, okuma sierra, or pflueger summit

3.)St.Croix Reign Fly Rod- $130.00 comes with a nice case. Would have to match it with one of the mentioned reels above.

My shop doesnt carry redington, or orvis. The owner thinks that the St.Croix would fit me well, but I entered the shop and the rods were covered with dust, so I am not sure if he ethier wants to get that off the rack or it really is a nice rod. I do want a somewhat nice reel however because if I hook up with one of those stockers in the lake I may have to be pulling up some weight.

Also, what is your guys best suggestion to catch some trout on a fly rod at a lake. My pops and I go late spring so by then most of the trout are deep, I was thinking grabbing an extra spool for some sink tip line and putting some conehead woly buggers in the depths. I have never fly fished a lake so any suggestions would be excellent.