The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 AM

harry2110 is on a distinguished road
Default 1wt for general purpose

I have recently found that for almost all the fly fishing I do my 1wt handles about everything. Is this uncommon as I thought these were supposed to be specialty rods only used for tiny drys but I am throwing nypmhs, wooly buggers and poppers with it just fine and it isnt a crazy fast 1wt either as its a superfine touch? I was wondering if anyone else on the forum was like this as well? I convinced so much that Ill be selling my 7wt soon and getting a full flex 5wt for heavy winds.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1wt for general purpose

I no longer even own a rod for freshwater heavier than a 4wt.
A nice 2wt, and a 4wt cover everything I fish.
There's quite a large group of ultralight fly fishers out there . . . and not just bluegill fanatics!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Sure -- there are a lot of people who fish UL for most of their fishing and like it. It's just a preference thing more than anything, though I appreciate fly line mass for certain places around here.

I think I might actually prefer the middle weights (5-6) but shorter, possibly glass rods...but I don't know yet as I don't have any.

I do find that 9' rods wear me out after casting for about 6 or more hours...which is typical for me.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 AM

lycokayaker is on a distinguished road

Im really stoked to hear this! I was considering a superfine touch in a 2wt for those exact same patterns and was told thats not a rod for those flies. I may relook into this option again. What size streamers are you throwing and at what distance?

Bill

Last edited by lycokayaker; 08-26-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I use a TFO finesse 389 (3-weight, 8'9") with a 2 DT line and also a cabelas 7'6" 3-weight outfit and throw beadchain streamers up to #8 and #10-12 poppers without much difficulty. Obviously, the more line you have out the better.

Distance with UL tackle I've never found to be a problem in practice -- in low wind, you'll get similar distance to your other medium rods provided you control your loops well and whatnot.

The question is really not what size streamers and what distance (to me) so much as it is "how much wind" do you generally deal with? I've only been frustrated with light fly lines when it is windy outside.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:42 AM

Wind is what it is, Some days none some days enough to warrant a 4-5 wt. I am struggling with spooky fish in pools of water 1.5 feet deep or less. Once the line hits the water they scatter.... Was hoping a 2 wt might help lessen this effect.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM

I have been uaing mine to throw 12> size streamers mostly and size 10 poppers for 40ft or maybe 50ft.

I also have gone UL as well and am selling all my rods above a 4wt after using this 1wt for a bit.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:28 PM

Harry, very cool. I guess I will be ordering a 2wt next week and see how it works out for me. Had you tried the superfine glass rods at all by chance? The closest orvis shop is 2 hour haul one way so I have decide wether I want to fish or spend my day driving back and fourth to orvis which isn't a bad thing either.

I have jumped online and read up about them however I can't ever seem to find a post about the compare/contrast and pros and cons of each. I know the glass models only go to 3 wt which could also fill my gap of a 3wt as well. Anyways great to see that this rod will work for everything!

Bill

Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

A 1wt or 2 wt will be a fine trout rod. Unless you are tossing big stuff,,really big stuff.........you need no more. Size 12 streamers will work just fine on small and medium streams.

I find that I have to mend LESS with a small fly line than a large one too.

For were I fish, a rod bigger than a 3 or at most a 4 wt is ,,,,overkill.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycokayaker View Post
Harry, very cool. I guess I will be ordering a 2wt next week and see how it works out for me. Had you tried the superfine glass rods at all by chance? The closest orvis shop is 2 hour haul one way so I have decide wether I want to fish or spend my day driving back and fourth to orvis which isn't a bad thing either.

I have jumped online and read up about them however I can't ever seem to find a post about the compare/contrast and pros and cons of each. I know the glass models only go to 3 wt which could also fill my gap of a 3wt as well. Anyways great to see that this rod will work for everything!

Bill
I in fact own a 4wt glass for when its too windy for my 1wt or im chasing 5lb+ largemouths or carp. The main difference is with the glass it is smoother in loading to me atleast and has more power in the butt section.

Also the orvis stores are having a 20% off the touch rods currently as i found that out when i went to get my new cfo reels.