The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 AM

tdt1969 is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Superfine Touch: What size?

I'm going to take advantage of the sale prices on the Orvis Superfine Touch rods, but I'm struggling on which one to buy.

I'll be fishing for trout on lakes and streams. I might land the occasional bass.

I have a 6' 2-weight Superfine Touch that I LOVE. It's perfect for tight streams, casts beautifully, and is fun to fight a fish on.

I also have a 9' 4-weight Helios that was a Christmas present from my wife. Turns out I'm torn on the Helios. I have learned that I like slower rods and the delicate presentation they offer. The Helios does give me distance, which can be useful on lakes.

So, I was thinking about a 9' 4-weight, but I'm worried that's redundant given I already have a 904 Helios.

Advice welcome (and yes, this falls into the "first-world problems" category).
Old 08-25-2014, 12:20 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Orvis Superfine Touch: What size?

I think the 8' 4 weight superfine is the gem of the bunch. I think the runner up is the 8'6" 5 weight. The superfine is anything but redundant compared to the H2, even in the same 9' 4 weight configuration. The flex profile is so drastically different it has very different uses, focused around the dry fly.

The reason I wouldn't go below the 4 weight is because 3 weights and below lack the mass to effectively turn over and fish a wide variety of fly sizes or the ability to penetrate wind. After trying all the superfines while working for orvis, I settled on the 8' 4 weight, it's an incredible stick and diserved careful consideration. Good luck.
dwtalso likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

While I don't personally own a Superfine Touch, I have enjoyed casting them and have considered obtaining one for the same purpose you mention. In addition to considering for increased casting distance, you are likely to have more potential for hooking larger fish. Due to these considerations, I would be looking at the 5 or 6 weight 9' rod. If you feel you need a 4 weight, sell the Helios (if your wife doesn't object) and buy the Superfine Touch. You would be surprised that the casting distance is not that different between the two. Either way, try to test cast first.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:58 PM

fox is on a distinguished road

I was also looking at the touch rods before settling on my hardy zenith.

I was told by numerous people that the 8 foot 4 weight version would do it all and if they had only one to pick that would be it.

For what it's worth.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:00 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

If it was me-- and it's not, so the following advice is free for discarding --I'd opt for the 9', 6-wt. Superfine Touch, as it will handle any trout situations, and most bassing adventures as well. A friend recently picked one up via the sale, and it's a sweet-casting rod!

As for the 4-wt. situation? If you've found that you have a decided lean toward the Superfine actions, I'd suggest selling off the Helios-- with all due permissions, of course, to keep the peace --and picking up that 8' 4-wt. Superfine Touch to fill the 4-wt. hole.

I still hold to my older Orvis Graphites and early Superfines, as they tend to fit my own casting style better than any other rod I've tried. And, I've tried a few...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
mike_r likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

All due respect to dissenting opinions but I see no problem having a fast and slow rod in same config for varying reasons.

My quiver for example

376-4 ZXL compliments 3710-3 TXl

389-4 circa compliments 390-4 ONE

4100-4 icon compliments 490-4 Zaxis

Each one is for a purpose so I don't necessarily go "oh I already have a 3wt"

Now will I buy another 9' 3wt ..... No because I have it covered
thenewlushlife likes this.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:30 AM

tdt1969 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm inspired to try the 804 based on a few of the comments here. I've never felt the need for >4 weight for the trout I catch -- perhaps I haven't found the right hole.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:20 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

They both have a place in fishing. I'd keep them both and use them. I have a 9ft. Z-Axis and a 9ft. Superfine Touch in 4 weight and neither is going anyplace except fishing.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

8'6", 3wt SFT. My most fav rod.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 PM

mike_r is on a distinguished road

I have cast a few of the new Superfine Touch rods and to me the real sleeper of the bunch is the 7'6" 5wt. Nice and crisp, yet deep flexing. I cast the rod with a basically "true five weight" line of my own...a Cortland Peach 444 WF5F line, and felt confident making casts out to 60'. It would make a great canoe or dockside panfish/light bass rod IMHO.