The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about
Default Sage accel reviews?

I stopped by a local fly shop, here in St. Louis, and cast a 590 Accel. I was wondering if anybody had bought one and fished one recently and your respective opinions.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage accel reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutn View Post
I stopped by a local fly shop, here in St. Louis, and cast a 590 Accel. I was wondering if anybody had bought one and fished one recently and your respective opinions.
Curious as to what you thought of the rod?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM

I think that Sage is trying a lower price point to compete. It retails just under $600 compared to the Method at the $800 range. I have owned a ZXL and XP. I would rate it's medium fast action in between the two and closer to the XP. Like all Sage rods, it has an attractive finish. It was a pleasure to field test at Hargrove's. It loaded well at 30 to 40'. I didn't try to load it at longer distances.
I own a Sage One 590 and a 586 XP. I am considering an extra 590 and this price point seems like a good value for the rod.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:47 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Interesting. I have had several models of the SLT and ZXL and I was thing the 390 as I regret selling my 389 SLT...
Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM

buggravy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Interesting. I have had several models of the SLT and ZXL and I was thing the 390 as I regret selling my 389 SLT...
I've had a similar line of reasoning. I missed the boat entirely on the 490 SLT, and was thinking of an Accel in that configuration as a reasonable facsimile. Anxious to cast one.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM

tedwin183 is on a distinguished road

I've test casted the 590-4 Accel. It was definitely nice, and the blank is beautiful, but I'm more a fan of the VXP/XP series. The Accel definitely is a true-to-weight stick though, and felt like a soggy noodle with a GPX taper on it. Rio Gold made it sing. Casting side by side with a 590-4 Approach, I was surprised how similar they felt. I'm starting to think that the Approach is one of the best bang for the buck trout rods out there right now. The Accel was definitely lighter, a little more responsive, and definitely more accurate at distance. In close(< 30ft), it was very hard to get the Accel to outperform the Approach. Both throw tight loops incredibly easy. The Accel can throw trick casts easier than the Approach (better tuck cast, bending around corners, etc.) For anyone but the most experienced casters, I'd just save $300 and get an Approach, a nice reel and a line.

I'll also end this by saying I am NOT an expert caster. Tailing loops are my close companion at times.
mridenour likes this.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the reviews with the different lines and opinion relating to the lower price point rod alternative.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

Test casted the 905 today as it was surrounded on TCO shop by One's. Pretty greenish narrow blank with half wells . Aesthetics first class. Solid medium fast action with light swing weight. Reminded me of my Sage SLT 904 but lighter . Tracts dead on and just a nice easy casting rod . I favor medium action rods and see this as good choice between the One and Circa. In my opinion this is an evolution along the LL-SLT-ZXL lineage but at lower price point.
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Congrats on just becoming a senior member as well! I work, on the weekends, at Cabela's. I am looking to add another rod, with a different action, to my 5 wt arsenal. I have a Sage One 590 and will look at picking up, a soon to be extinct, VXP or the Accel with a sweet price.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

tedwin183 is on a distinguished road

I'm a big fan of my 590-4 VXP. crazy accurate in close, and can throw a Rio Gold 70ft with a flick of the wrist. For $350 (probably cheaper with your Cabelas discount), I wouldn't think twice about grabbing one while they're still around. The Accel will be around for another several years, the VXP will not.