The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 10:06 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road
Default $500 Rod Option?

Ok got an unexpected gift card to local shop that carries Scott, Winston ,Sage Orvis rods. Crazy as it sounds absolutely not a need as I tend to fish custom glass and medium type graphite. Without adding cash to the purchase was thinking only Orvis option such as Superfine glass or discounted Touch series. Midlevel graphite in others pretty slim options.
Now could bag the rod route all together .
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: $500 Rod Option?

Without adding cash, you might consider reels, lines, waders, etc. as $500 doesn't bring you the Mike McFarland grade rod you prefer.
fyshstykr and williamhj like this.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

S&S ; Good point as Mike's rods are my sweet spot. As well known for his glass masterpieces his rolled graphite rods are equally awesome. As he can duplicate a taper to mimic a certain action but his designed tapers are so pleasing to fish. I may look into a second Ross Gunnison for 4 wght as they are elegant looking on glass rods.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM

these go to 11 will become famous soon enough

I would case the Superfine Touch if you have a chance. It's a pretty damn nice rod, and for the price they are selling for now are definitely worth a try. I love mine. It's a great dry fly rod and the feel and action are really fun to cast. Even my 3 wt can protect tippet and land decent sized fish. I've brought 20 inch bows and browns in on mine without playing them too much. I haven't fished with the Superfine Glass yet, but I think one will end up in my quiver eventually when I have some cash to burn.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Just a thought, if you don't have an immediate need, maybe pick up a higher level reel or two. Consider it a fly fishing investment. Most of my top end reels are worth more now than when I bought them. If in the future I had a need, I could sell the reel and probably at least keep up with inflation.

To be honest, I'm not sure the same is always true with rods. Bamboo may hold it's value pretty well, but many graphites come and go as next year's model comes out.

Of course, past performance is no indication of the future and your mileage may vary.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

You could go with the Winston Nexus and then give us all a thorough review
Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Without adding cash, you might consider reels, lines, waders, etc. as $500 doesn't bring you the Mike McFarland grade rod you prefer.
Toss in $200 or so from your own pocket and you can get that McFarland rod -- in glass or graphite, your choice.

Seele Fly Rods | Zeitlos Glass Rods
Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't need/want the rods that are available I would go with S&S and look at something else. Personally, a great rain shell would be near the top of my list.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:57 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I'm investigating a compact but very well built and designed "strap vest" to replace or at least supplement my regular Simms Guide vest. I want to force myself to go lighter by carrying less, better organized stuff. And, though I am very attached to my hand built, wood laminated, beavertail net with hand knotted bag, I am impressed by the carbon composite, clear rubber molded bag, Nomad net now from Fishpond. Two such items plus a new line of two could soak up close to $400 of such a gift certificate. Of course I'm going to want one of the new Abel stacked drag reels for my new 6-weight so I am already over budget.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:27 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I'm investigating a compact but very well built and designed "strap vest" to replace or at least supplement my regular Simms Guide vest. I want to force myself to go lighter by carrying less, better organized stuff. And, though I am very attached to my hand built, wood laminated, beavertail net with hand knotted bag, I am impressed by the carbon composite, clear rubber molded bag, Nomad net now from Fishpond. Two such items plus a new line of two could soak up close to $400 of such a gift certificate. Of course I'm going to want one of the new Abel stacked drag reels for my new 6-weight so I am already over budget.
I envy those Nomads nets as well. The mid-length model, the one with the 20" handle and nice big hoop weighs less than one pound! A wooden net that size is over 5!

Good luck on the perfectly designed strap vest search. Let us know when you find it.