The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 PM

think trout is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis cork and ring reel seat

I was just wondering what people think of cork and ring reel seats, like the ones used on the old Superfine Orvis small stream rods.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orvis cork and ring reel seat

I have 3 cork reel seat rods and prefer them as the reel foot seats into the cork just enough to eliminate wobble.

Dave
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I like them. After learning the proper way to seat the rings, they are as secure I guess as insert and tighten reel seats.
fredaevans and hairwing530 like this.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Orvis cork and ring reel seat

On very light line rods they can be a joy. You can adjust the position to 'balance' the rod to near perfection.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:17 PM

markfrid has a spectacular aura aboutmarkfrid has a spectacular aura about

I have had 3 rods with cork/sliding ring reels seats. I have never had any problem with this kind of seat. Quite secure. I still have 2 of those rods - the oldest, I've used for over 40 years and used it a LOT. No issues. It's an 8' #5 .

Mark
Old 09-10-2014, 01:49 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I have one on my 7'6" 3 wt Superfine. It just makes the rod that much nicer.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:41 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

One on my Orvis 4wt. One Ounce, one on my Scott F2. For those rods they're perfect and like Fred said, easy to balance them so they're perfect for you.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Not cork but Amboina wood and a nickel silver band which holds the reel. I don't own any with a cork seat insert & ring but they hold reels very well and are simple and clean holders.

Click the image to open in full size.
hairwing530 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I've got a one ounce and a Scott that have them, I do like them, I hope Orvis brings them back on there new series of superfines.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 PM

flywatersmallie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
I've got a one ounce and a Scott that have them, I do like them, I hope Orvis brings them back on there new series of superfines.
They are not. Reel seats are the same as the Superfine Glass rods. At least what I have seen. Though you can call them and have them build you any rod with the cork and ring seat.