The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 PM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough
Default Best of the mod. to mod/fast past & present ?

We discuss rods a lot and mostly the new "fast & furious" , as many of you know I prefer the mod/fast but can see the benefit in the fast rods in the right place. ( I like em all actually , just cant afford em all). Anyway , I was wondering what the slower crowd has to say about the best of this class of rods and price or mfg. does not matter.

My vote is with the T&T Horizon II in 4 or 5 , but I like the TXL-F in 4 if it were at least a 8.5 ?

Anything mod/fast and below speed ?
Old 09-10-2014, 07:56 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best of the mod. to mod/fast past & present ?

When it comes to fly rods, I'm a HUGE fan of the older unsanded Orvis Graphite series, with a similar preference for the older Superfines. And, I prefer them around the 8' mark in 6-wt.

Beyond that, I still keep one 4-wt. close at hand-- an original IM6 Winston TMF, also 8' in length, as well as a beautiful bamboo rod built for me by a very good friend and talented craftsman. It's almost too beautiful to fish... almost...

Obviously, I like my fly rods medium to medium fast, too...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
imxer, mcnerney, labtrout and 3 others like this.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:05 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm really liking my 3wt. NRX LP, I don't leave home without it, on a slower note my 6'6" 3wt Scott F2, great small stream rod.
mcnerney and eastfly66 like this.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 PM

eastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rougheastfly66 is a jewel in the rough

Scott and older Orvis rods I see from time to time for sale/auction at fair prices. This is one of the reasons for the post.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:47 PM

adealarcon is on a distinguished road

agree on the tmf 4 im6 have one and will never oart with it
Old 09-10-2014, 09:04 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I wish I had some of the slower vintage rods the other guys have, would be fun to go fish them. My slowest rod is a 389-4 Circa and it is fun to fish. I also have a TXL-f 1wt in the 7'10". I don't consider it slow by any means but those two are my "dry fly" rods.

I am not in rod acquisition mode or I would love to get some of the old glass rods I see you guys using.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:25 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Orvis HLS (mid-late 90's, some noted as "Silver" series) unsanded...Love them so much that they are pretty much all I use. You can still find them "new-used" meaning some guy bought one, fished it a couple hours, then never got back to fly fishing.

B.E.F.
imxer and mcnerney like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

My old favorite is a Sage SLT 9' 4wt from 2003, I believe. Its a wonderful rod that I consider "medium" action. They can be had for $350 or so on the auction site which I think is well worth the price if you find a nice one. New they were a premium rod retailing around $500 if I remember correctly... Which is equivalent to today's $700 Sage rods.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:35 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Click the image to open in full size.

Scott "G" Series...

Click the image to open in full size.

T&T Paradigm...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

The older Loomis IMX & GLX series are still a joy to fish with, I also like the older Scott 'G' series.
imxer and mcnerney like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*