The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM

camcay is on a distinguished road
Default Russ Peak Rod

Hi, first time poster here, I have been an avid fisherman for the last 30 years and enjoy both fly and spin fishing, I have recently started collecting fly rods with my boys as its something that they love to do, and we always seem to find stuff at yard sales and estate sales. I have come across a Russ Peak Zenith rod and was wondering if anyone could direct me into finding out the age of it as well as what is the proper way to take care of it. Overall condition for it appears to be that it was rarely used and there are no issues to speak off, I put it on my wall to display its beauty and was told not to by a friend who said it was a collectors item and then offered to buy it from me, I told him no but he then offered an Orvis rod and a Loomis rod for it. I am keeping it! any advice?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Russ Peak Rod

Keep it! Orvis in its most grandiose dreams could not equal Russ Peak on his worst day. Loomis might cast better but not look soooo good. Peak was a custom builders custom builder and his rods are masterful. His protégé is a custom maker now, Kerry Burkheimer, and he can give you details about your great find. Post a picture for us please.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:56 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

Camcay, Being a fiberglass addict a Russ Peak rod(even graphite) are viewed as Holy Grail I am no expert but many are who post on The Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum are very knowledgeable of Russ's rods as certain models are more highly valued than others. But SweetandSalt is dead right when he suggested contacting Mr Burkenheimer. If you go to FFRF contact my friend "Duff" as he has vast depth of rod knowledge.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:59 PM

camcay is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I have contacted him about trying to get a tube for it, I will take pictures of it and post here either later today or tomorrow, and I have no intentions of trading it or selling it, compared to the other 40 or 50 rods that I have picked up in the last three months this one by far stands out as a work of art!