The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough
Default 2nd Steelhead 8wt Rod Compliment/Backup

Hey Guys,

Last year when I started fly fishing I went on my first trip right around this time, which was for salmon in Pulaski NY. I purchased my first fly outfit, which was a 10' 8wt Orvis Clearwater outfit. After landing a few salmon, 5 to be exact, I snapped the rod in half. Not sure what happened, but I think I didn't have 1 section pushed in far enough. It snapped the 2nd section, the one right above the butt section in half right above the connection...more than likely my fault!

Toward the middle/end of November I will be heading up again, but this time for steelhead. I purchased the rod in 10' instead of 9' because I knew the salmon would only be an every once in a while thing where as the steelhead would hopefully become the bulk of my winter fishing. Luckily last year I took my Ugly Stick spinning rod as a back up so I was able to finish out the trip fishing, just not with a fly rod. I have gotten into the fly fishing so much that I now have no desire to conventional fish at all. This all leads into why I made this post, which is a 2nd fly rod for steelhead.

So, what is it exactly that I'm looking for? Well, first off the rod will be primarily for steelhead. It's main purpose will be as a backup to my 10' 8wt Orvis Clearwater rod. With that being said, who knows maybe I'd end up liking the new rod more and it would become my primary steelhead rod and the Clearwater would become the back up. For this reason I would like it to be a nice compliment to what I have, not something exactly the same. I do not yet want to jump into the world of switch/spey so no 2 handers yet. I don't want to buy another reel just yet, so it will have to be an 8wt. Last, but not least, I would like to keep the cost at a MAX of $300.

Thanks, can't wait to hear your feedback!
Mike
Old 10-08-2014, 11:31 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2nd Steelhead 8wt Rod Compliment/Backup

Miami,
I have my 8wt 9ft Hardy Zenith 4pcs Skeleton type for sale in the classified the rod is in good condition, complete with the rod sleeve, tube, tube sock, plug and blank warranty card. At $375 paypal shipped, it is just a little bit over your MAX $300 and can be your go to rod and it's a Zenith.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 AM

miamimikepa will become famous soon enoughmiamimikepa will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it's a great rod, but most of the local guys who fish Pulaski for steelhead tell me that 10' is the minimum length I want to go with.

On a side note, even though I'm not ready to get into spey fishing maybe I shouldn't dismiss all 2 handed rods. Maybe a switch rod would be an option.
runningfish likes this.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:08 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Well, if you are looking for at least 10ft and will consider the switch rod.

I also have the Beulah Platinum 6wt 10'4" switch rod that would be perfect for the Steelhead. It is in mint condition and I'll include the Beulah Exilir V2 325 grain with it (cast it on the grass only). Asking $375 shipped Conus.
The rod is really good for overhead casting too, I paired it with Royal Wulff Ambush 7wt for overhead bass bugs.

Here is the review of that switch rod.
Beulah Platinum Switch Rod Review | The Caddis Fly: Oregon Fly Fishing Blog

and I have that rod in the listing too.

Click the image to open in full size.

clean cork.

Click the image to open in full size.
jaybo41 and mridenour like this.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Thanks again, but as previously mentioned looking for something in 8wt.

Anyway, would really appreciate any advice on what you guys are using as opposed to what you have for sale. If you have something for sale you think I may be interested in please pm me instead of posting it to the thread.

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 10-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Miami, sorry to have ruined your thread. I am bowing out.
FYI, 6wt switch is close to 8wt single hand. Over and out.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 PM

No worries, nothing is ruined.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I bounce back and forth between two rods, a 10' 7wt single hand and an 11' 6wt. Runningfish's offering would be an ideal choice, a TRUE switch in that you could easily cast two handed OR spey cast with it.

I've been contemplating adding a 10' 8wt as well but that's a bit of an overlap for me since I can use the switch rod.

Is $300 your budget for a rod only? Do you have a reel and line to go with it?

10 foot rods aren't near as common as 9' or 9'6 rods so your choices are going to be somewhat limited right off the bat.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 PM

$300 is the budget for a rod only. I have an 8wt reel to go on it, which is why I'd like to stick to an 8wt. Doesn't have to be 10', but from what I'm told from guys who fish there often is that 10' is the minimum length recommended.

The switch rod he has is without a doubt a beautiful rod, just not sure how I feel about a 6wt. I'd consider it at 7wt and prob jump all over it at 8wt.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, the "weight designation" of a 2 handed rod does not = the weight designation of a single hand rod. Typically, you add 2 line weights to a 2 handed rod, so his 6 is going to be like an 8, so your reel will be a good match. Not trying to push that rod on you or 2 handed rods for that matter but if you were concerned about the weight designation it's a moot point.

With that rod being a 10'4" rod, you can truly use it much more efficiently to spey cast or to fish single hand. Here is an article I recalled that might give you some insight.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hat...ch-rod-review/

Unless you're fishing small tributaries, I too would recommend a 10' rod if at all possible. That extra foot is going to really help with mending control and will help you reach into currents and eddies.