The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By bmbailes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 12:21 PM

cduff is on a distinguished road
Default overlining a TFO Mangrove

was in the market for a new fly rod after dumping mine on the bottom of a lake. spent a good bit of time researching and thought i was going to buy a BVK. often heard from friends and from looking on forums that some of the faster TFO rods can be over lined by a size to help them load at shorter ranges. before i went through with the BVK i had a lot of people telling me to go with the Mangrove series instead because of how durable they are compared to the BVK. after more research i ended up ordering a 6wt. Mangrove but didn't think to change out the 7wt line i also had in the cart. is over lining the mangrove still recommended? TFO says its still a fast action but most of the reviews say its more of a medium-fast action or at least not as fast as the BVK.

Long and short of it is: will using a 7wt. line on a 6wt. TFO Mangrove cause me any problems/ will i be better off returning the 7wt. getting the 6wt. line instead?

Thank you!
Old 10-12-2014, 01:02 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: overlining a TFO Mangrove

I'd be interested to know the common sense data on the rod, if I were you I'd test it to see. I think a lot of rods can handle a range of lines, especially if you aren't loading a ton of line out the tip. I have a Mangrove 9' 10wt. It was a great rod to cast with a sinking line, don't know what it would be like with the 10wt floating line.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:13 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default Re: overlining a TFO Mangrove

Perfect!! I went thru SEVERAL lines on my 6wt Mangrove and the sage 230gr floater (bluegill) works so awesome! I also use a rio intermediate streamer tip line. You'll be very happy with the mangrove. I picked it over some higher price rods. It's my ultimate streamer/ smallie rod.