Orvis helios 2 question

kuch

Reaction score
I have a 904 tip flex and love it. Very versatile, super light weight and nice fit and finish. That being said I did not like the mid flex H2 rods at all. I felt like the mid flex version bent in all the wrong places. The tip flex is a pure pleasure to cast. The H2 is the first Orvis rod I have ever purchased and in my opinion really stands out from previous rods they have produced.

marky3130

Reaction score
I had a mid flex 5 wt and I'll echo what others state here. Get a tip flex. They are great rods. I got a good deal on a mid flex (it's now clear why) and while it was a decent rod, it's not anywhere near as good as the tip flex.

jastrout

Reaction score
I have two midflex Helios 8'6" 4 & 5 and love them but they are the original Helios and not the H2. Now I could be nuts but test casting the H2 tip flex they seem very similar the mid flex earlier models??. Except smidge lighter if possible . In fact if you just "wiggle " the two the flex pattern to my eyes look so close. Someone smarter than I may have explanations .

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
akuriko, I noticed below you were inquiring about the G2 and the WT. Those are both old classic designs still in production because many fly fishers lock in on what they like in rods and legitimately or otherwise prefer not to change. Newer rods utilizing more advanced design and material technology that perform similar functions obviously exist, the already mentioned NRX LP and H2 among them. These two rods are lighter, more communicatively responsive and also have more lower end power than those two fine classics. While I believe there is such a thing as objective analysis in fly rods, I still agree with all that you must identify your priorities based on the style of fishing in the particular habitats you favor and then test cast multiple rods striving to identify the one that will provide the kind of performance you seek. I will concur with most of the above that H2 are superior in most instances to original Helios and that the tip-flex models are the only way to go. I am assuming you have read Yellowstone Anglers 2014 5-Weight Shoot Out which, though hardly the last word does include much useful food for thought.

fireroad

Reaction score
I have cast several Helios models and they are all very impressive, reasonably fast rods with excellent feel. I plan on adding an 890 to my collection in the near future. I would place them somewhere between a Winston B3X and Scott Radian....not as much feel as the Winston but slightly faster with power closer to the Radian. If you are considering the 590, however, I feel the Loop Opti Stream is a similar, if not better, overall rod for $300 less.

If you want to go Orvis and are not in a rush I would wait until the Orvis Recon models come out in January or February. Very similar taper, slightly heavier with stepped down (but still very nice) components. I've considered a 10ft 4wt H2 for high sticking but will wait to compare the Recon.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I actually see the H2s as more of a riff on the Hardy Zeniths but a bit deeper flexing. More feel than the BIIIx but not as much as Zenith or Radian. Unless you think of "feel" as the sense of the rod loading as opposed to the "feel" of the line's movement which is, during casting and presentation, more relevant. Feeling the mass of the rod flexing I perceive as subtractive to sensitivity. You feel the pebbles beneath your tire with a low mass, low unsprung weight, stiff suspension, not a heavier, long travel, soft "comfortable" suspension. The cool thing about H2 tip is it has what it takes to deliver the fly but is fare more accessible and open to less than guide level ,pro casting strokes than more demanding and difficult rods like ONE or NRX. And its remarkably light weight substantially aids that sense of communication. The #5 and #8 seem to be standouts (I own neither).

adealarcon

Reaction score
I own the 8 wt tip flex. fantastic rod. My first foray into a fast saltwater rod. Very accessible and has let me access rods that s&s mentioned like the ONe and apprecite them. My trout quivers now are more diverse with more traditional actions and them rods like the radian and the one.

definitely some sweet spots in the rod lineup. Looked at the 7 and didnt care for it personally

sneelhead

Reaction score
Snapped 3 Helios 2 switches last year Steelheading. I fish my equipment hard. Switched to sage rods and haven't had a problem since. Not to say they are bad rods but they are super light and trimmed down i believe durability is an issue. Thankfully Orvis has great warranty program.

1spd1way

Reaction score
I picked up a 10 wt h2 this summer. I am really struggling with the "cast". I have not spent enough time with it and will practice this fall. Trout fishing has taken up all my time (using the BIIx 5 wt.)
I bought it as an all around salt water rod for our annual keys vacation. I have a Scott 8wt that I brought last year and wanted to target tarpon and barracuda this year.
If i can't come to grips with this 10 wt., I may sell it and look for an H2 in 8-9 wt.

having said that...the quality of the rod is top notch. The casting problems are my own. Time and patience may prove to be the cure.

fireroad

Reaction score
Is it true the H2 is the only rod that can handle and support a clouser without snapping the tip?
No, not even close. A clouser is no different than any other heavily weighted fly. It comes down to line weight and opening up your cast. I've chucked clousers with rods made by St Croix, Sage, Loop and Hardy with no ill effect to the rod.

akuriko

Reaction score
ok good, i heard if you chuck clousers with any rod it snaps esspecially the helios 1s, its good to know that myth is debunked.