The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 10:30 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Two of the same rod ?

Do any of you have a rod that you like so well that you have an exact duplicate model ?

Mike
Old 12-10-2014, 10:35 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Two of the same rod ?

Not me

Closest I come to that is a 3710-4 and 4710-4 Sage TXL. I like trying different things a little to much to double dip on a identical rod. Now if one came along at a crazy low price I would probably buy a duplicate.
hairwing530 and fly_guy12955 like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 12-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have 3 identical Hardy Swift Spey rods that I bought so I can supply others with a rod just like the one I use. Those make it easy to teach people to cast since we all have the same rod and line.

I also have three 13' 9" Hardy Salmon Fly Spey rods. These are mine to fish, 2 are 1981 rods and one is an 84.

In single hand rods I still have 2 nine foot seven weight Quarrow rods with matching Hardy Viscount reels.

Strange I know.....................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2014, 11:18 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Ard's reasoning makes sense from an instructional perspective. Not sure why you would otherwise. I seem to be gradually collecting the entire set of St Croix Imperials in all sizes. Tonight I did see a $700 custom Imperial I don't own yet. I may take a pass.
Hardyreels and hairwing530 like this.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:31 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not, yet. What I do have though is plenty of overlap though. Different rods in the same lengths and line weights but different actions. This gives me some variety. I do know that there is one particular rod that I own which is no longer made. If I find one at the right price, I'd buy another so that I'd have one as a backup in case something happens to the one I'm fishing with now.

I think if you find a rod that really sings to you and you have the funds to do it why not? Especially considering that many/most rod companies are changing models every so many years. I'm not sure this makes any sense, but I am a guy with 6 4wt's and a tackle addiction.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:02 AM

kosix will become famous soon enoughkosix will become famous soon enough

Only for teaching purposes. Budget rods for beginners.
I have maybe 6 3 wts ...
Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Nope, but really wish I did of my Orvis Bighorn Special incase I broke it or it wears out......Unfortunately, my time machine is broken so I can't get back to 1995.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:12 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Not quite 'exact'.

I have a Sage ZXL 8' 2 wt. from the factory and another built from a blank. The one from a blank is lighter, mostly in the butt section.

Also, I have a bunch (7) of Eagle Claw Black Eagle 8' 6" 5 wt. rods. At $20/each, they get left in trucks, lent out, given to kids, etc.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:52 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

Like ia_trouter and his St. Croix Imperial collection, I'm gradually moving into the "nothing but Orvis Graphites" grouping. Most are of the same ilk-- 8-foot in length, and rated for 6-weight lines. Where they each set themselves apart from the others is in the name/year markings on the butt cap of the rod-- Yellowstone, Trout, etc.

And, while they look identical in the hand, there are slight differences in their performance on the river, things so subtle that they're sometimes hard to discern in one rod to another. But, I know their feel and what they each do best, and I'm good with that. The rods are reliable to a fault, and very forgiving of any casting style-- even mine!

And, should you stop by the house, don't be surprised if you find the Orvis Graphite rods hanging out with the one and only bamboo rod I own. It was custom made for me by a very good friend/talented craftsman, and I save it for "special occasions..." like days on the river that end in "y," for example...

Back to the vise... I've got some flies to tie...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
jaybo41, comeonavs and eastfly66 like this.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:56 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I think if you find a rod that really sings to you and you have the funds to do it why not? Especially considering that many/most rod companies are changing models every so many years
"changing models" - and not always for the better !

I am considering this currently and watching a couple clearance sales for one particular rod I have taken a liking too.