Hardy Zenith 6 wt. or TFO BVK 7 wt.?

jaycle

Reaction score
Best all around rod for delicate presentation of size#20 dries and winter steelhead fishing in OR/WA?

I know, a 5 wt and 8 wt would be ideal, but what if you had to choose only 1 rod to do it all.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
Hardy for sure.Thats like comparing a Porsche to a yugo.:worthy:
I think you're selling the BVK short with the Yugo analogy, but I would also choose the Zenith 6 over the BVK 7. My reasoning is that the Zenith series is that good, not that the BVK is bad.

Full disclosure: I have no experience chasing winter steelhead, but if it can be done well with a 7wt, then it can probably be done with a Zenith 6wt.

Last edited:

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if the 6 wt. Zenith handle winter steelhead fishing?
Great question! The next question is if a BVK 7wt will lay down #20 dry flies effectively?

The answer to both questions is probably "no" but the OP wants one rod to do both, and he gives us a choice to make between the two. I think the Zenith is the least bad choice, but then I lean towards the ultra-light side of fly-fishing.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
If it were me, I would get a Zenith in a 5 weight and then try to find any decent 8 weight on closeout for $100 or so for the steelhead. Like this one, for instance:
Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Professional Special 4-Piece Fly Rod for an 8 Weight
Or even this:
Cabela's Wind River Combo : Cabela's
Rather than having one compromise rod that won't do either delicate dry-fly work or heavy fishing terribly well, for not much more money you'll have one of the world's best all-round trout rods and a pretty decent steelhead rig.

ts47

Reaction score
Jaycle,

Your question does not have a good answer. The only answer any of us can give you that will be remotely close to good is to buy two rods. If money is an issue, buy used rods instead.

A better question would be... My budget is "X" dollars. I need to chase winter steelhead and throw dries in the warmer months. How can I best accomplish this goal? Then, you should throw in where you live, the waters you'll be fishing and the types and sizes of fish you are likely to catch.

This would be a question we could help with.

markfrid

Reaction score
Best all around rod for delicate presentation of size#20 dries and winter steelhead fishing in OR/WA?

I know, a 5 wt and 8 wt would be ideal, but what if you had to choose only 1 rod to do it all.
You will be unhappy with the "One Rod To Do It All". Period. You'll have a big-ol compromise on each end. Buy one for the kind of fishing you do most, and enjoy it. Then save up for the other. The "ORTDIA," like the Holy Grail, is mythological. Be patient, Grasshopper. Ha-ha!

Mark

burk48237

Reaction score
You will be unhappy with the "One Rod To Do It All". Period. You'll have a big-ol compromise on each end. Buy one for the kind of fishing you do most, and enjoy it. Then save up for the other. The "ORTDIA," like the Holy Grail, is mythological. Be patient, Grasshopper. Ha-ha!

Mark
Very True!

Much like there is no such thing as an all-around golf club. The qualities that make a rod a great dry fly rod for #20's really put you in 4 weight territory, Five at the max. Good Steelhead rods are usualy longer 10 foot plus and in the 7-8 weight range. What I would do is buy two good medium quality rods in the $200 unless you do one or the other a lot.

cab

Reaction score
Very True!

Much like there is no such thing as an all-around golf club. The qualities that make a rod a great dry fly rod for #20's really put you in 4 weight territory, Five at the max. Good Steelhead rods are usualy longer 10 foot plus and in the 7-8 weight range. What I would do is buy two good medium quality rods in the $200 unless you do one or the other a lot.

Along these lines, take a look at the St. Croix Imperials. A good rod, and inexpensive. Two of these would cost less than 1 Hardy, leaving money for reels, line, etc.

Just my 2c,
CAB

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Much more like a Hyundai than a Yugo but like everyone has said, one rod CAN'T do both things. If your budget will not permit two rods and/or if you wish to not buy a cheap, lower quality rod (wise), make this decision...which form of angling would I prefer to temporarily limit myself to, will I fish more for trout or steelhead? So buy either a 9'/#5 or a 10'/#8 and get the other one...latter.

flywatersmallie

Reaction score
Given the 2 rods to choose from, there is quite a price difference there. No doubt, the Zenith is a superior rod in this comparison but if those are the only 2 rods considered, I think I would opt for a pair of BVK's in this instance, a 4 or 5 and a 7 or 8. Rather than having a Zenith that is too heavy for small dries and too light for heavy steelhead flies, I'd opt for 2 less expensive rods. Though the BVK wouldn't be my first choice in that 200-300 dollar range, lots of folks like them.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Is the op still tracking this thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He logged in yesterday, but didn't post, so I'm assuming he has given up on the idea of buying one rod for winter Stealhead and also be delicate enough to lay down size 20 dries in the summer.

ts47

Reaction score
Jaycle,

Just in case... We'll happily help you where we can. Thus one just didn't have an easy solution. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

Liphookedau

Even though some say one certain Rod will do "All" we all know that's just a gimmick .. not The case & is the Reason many of us have so many Rods & are still on The lookout for one which will do "ALL.
Brian