The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 AM

easterncaster is on a distinguished road
Default G. Borger 'n Hardy

Hey this is cool news - from Gary's swell blog:

"I spent time in the Hardy Booth, answering casting questions right after the demo. Then, I answered questions about the rods and talked with visitors for the remainder of the hour. I have been using the Hardy Zenith rods in my casting demonstrations since they first came on the market, and have now entered an endorsement agreement with them. Interestingly, the parent company also now owns the rights to the Fenwick rods, and is producing a series of fine casting instruments under that once much heralded name. I really enjoyed seeing these rods brought back into circulation because I was the Midwest Director of the Fenwick Fly Fishing Schools from their inception until Fenwick was sold (about 15 years). In those days, Fenwick was THE name in fly rods, and so, to see them being re-introduced as the quality rods they were was very pleasing, indeed."
Old 01-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: G. Borger 'n Hardy

Very interesting news, thanks for sharing!

Old 01-16-2015, 09:44 AM

mridenour will become famous soon enough

Hmmm, that's a pretty huge endorsement. Good news for Fenwick I think.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM

easterncaster is on a distinguished road

Curious about said '... fine casting instruments'.
Hmm...

Hopefully I will be able to ask Gary at Somerset.
waterfordcreek likes this.

Last edited by easterncaster; 01-16-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:51 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Hardy's new parent, Pure Fishing, the worlds largest fishing tackle company and a division of even larger Jardine, owns many brands. Fenwick, since sold to Woodstream (the Victor Mouse Trap folks) and ultimately to Pure, long ago lost its seminal Don and Jim Green originality (Fenwick introduced the first graphite rod, HMG, back in 1974). Hardy's sub-brand, Greys, never gained traction in the US though remains popular in Europe and is still produced for the European market by Pure. Greys fine rod designs re-emerge in our market under the better recognized Fenwick name illustrating Pure's marketing savvy. Please note, however, that these are built in the very large Chinese factory that makes all of Pure's rods except the Hardy Zeniths which remain originating from the same quality oriented S.Korean rod shop that has built them for Hardy from the beginning. This shop also built the Gary Borger series of rods that originally had another name that I have forgotten. They in turn were based on the discontinued Albright EXS that were a conceptual predecessor to Zenith (Zenith by far being the best of this grouping).

So that is the evolution of our new Fenwick. What remains an unknown is the fabrication quality from the Chinese manufacturer. Redington manages to get some decent work done for their brand in China as does our Forum member who owns "Flying Pig" fly rods. As a sub $200 rod one may not expect excellence in rod blank construction and probably won't get it in the Fenwick but our friend G. Anderson rates this rod #11 in his current shootout, tied with BIIIx and ONE (a provocative put-down in my view).

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncaster View Post
Curious about said '... fine casting instruments' .....?!

Hopefully I will be able to ask Gary at Somerset.
It never ceases to amuse me what pros with endorsement agreements will say about products produced by the people who pay them.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 AM

mridenour will become famous soon enough

Ah, so Gary Borger has no integrity or credibility...glad I didn't rush out and buy one of these rods.

But then again, all of my equipment is junk by some people's standards.
weiliwen likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:23 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Mike, I am not questioning Gary Borger's integrity; the integrity of the construction of the Fenwick blank perhaps, but not Borger's. Fact of life is anyone of us, surely including me, can be "influenced" by money...and it doesn't even have to be a lot of it! And, as long as Pure allows Hardy to be Hardy and make what they make well the way they want sans shortcuts, Gary Borger can be justifiably positive about representing Zenith and ProAxis SINTRIX rods. I say positive things about them too and all I get from John is a free bottle of Hardy Reel Lube.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:21 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

With how crazy the Feralite madness is... It'd be foolish of them not to re-release the FF series... Fenwick were true innovators... They created the ever so popular tip over butt ferrule and like mentioned above the first graphite rod...
mridenour likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
With how crazy the Feralite madness is... It'd be foolish of them not to re-release the FF series... Fenwick were true innovators... They created the ever so popular tip over butt ferrule and like mentioned above the first graphite rod...
...and, after all the changes Fenwick the brand endured, its founding member, Don Green, went on to form a new fly rod company which, by the early 1980's become known as Sage. Same brown blank and tip over butt ferrule system with a renewed emphasis on lower taper "reserve power" continuing through today.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:33 PM

moucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nicemoucheur2003 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Greys fine rod designs re-emerge in our market under the better recognized Fenwick name illustrating Pure's marketing savvy. Please note, however, that these are built in the very large Chinese factory that makes all of Pure's rods except the Hardy Zeniths which remain originating from the same quality oriented S.Korean rod shop that has built them for Hardy from the beginning.
In George Anderson's 2105 5 weight Shootout, he says the Fenwick Aetos "is made by Greys in Korea and similar to their old XF2 Streamflex."
mridenour likes this.