The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2015, 02:02 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about
Default Rods You Just Can't Part With

So many of us have favorite rods, and for some, it goes even deeper.

I'll put it like this -- you need cash very bad. You decide you've got to sell off your fly rods. What's the one rod (or maybe two) that you'd starve before you parted with it.

Or, as is more often the case, some new rods come out and you want to update your collection, you decide to sell off some rods to make room for the new ones. What are the rods that you keep, no matter what?

You can share as much as you want on this topic. Maybe you've got a rod that you had a wonderful fishing experience with, so you keep it for sentimental reasons. Maybe there is a 20 year old rod in your closet that is so sweet and "just right" for you, that you keep it no matter what. Or maybe you believe that one of your rods is the "perfect rod," a cannon that roars, or a magic wand that follows your thoughts in a cast before you've even thought them.

Tell us about the rod or rods that you just couldn't part with, no matter what.
bigjim5589 and hairwing530 like this.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rods You Just Can't Part With

I have posted many times on these forums how I like all of my rods to be from the same manufacturer. I have also expressed my fondness of Loomis rods, despite some of the things going on within Shimano/Loomis.

Long story short, I am moving away from Loomis and over to Winston. That being said, one rod that I do not think I will ever dump, even if it never gets fished, my Loomis RoaringRiver GLX Switch rod in 5 weight. I just LOVE the looks of the rod, the reel seat and the space. She is just too pretty to leave to someone else!

She is eye candy!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:29 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Apparently all of them.

Except for the ones that are broken (What am I saying? I even have those.), I have every rod I've ever owned.

I have sold exactly one rod in my life, and that was a blank. Now here's the thing that will make you question my sanity - I bought it back.

My name is Paul, and I have a problem.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:33 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
My name is Paul, and I have a problem.
"Thank you, Paul."
Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Three come to mind: My first 7wt Sage single hander, second is #4 of their 7136. Neither get 'fished' anymore, if I were to break, there is no 'replacement.' At least emotionally.

#3 is my 13 foot 6/7 'retired' Boo Spey; that thing, with its DT line was magic to cast. Rod was built for me by a fellow in Norway, line is hand made 'silk' from a fellow in France. Walk in my front door, look up, that Rod/Hardy reel/line are looking back at you.

Line going tight in your finger tips, throb of a tail. Game On.

Nothing beats Boo, Spend the money, you'll never regret. Your credit card balance is a different issue.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I tend to keep my rods too. I sold a baitcaster & reel to fellow I worked with many years ago, as I didn't use it & he wanted to learn how to cast a baitcaster. I've given a couple of rods & reels to my sons, including fly rods, but never sold any otherwise that I bought to fish with.

Otherwise, I would probably make the wife hit the streets first! You know, dress her up some & tell her to work the corner!

That's not true either! She'd kill me if she reads this!

I would figure out some other way to make some money, maybe making & selling flies or lures, but probably only as a very last resort would I be selling my rods!
fredaevans, smilingduck and jpgodf like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

I have a spinning rod that I won't ever part with, but the fly rod I would keep would be my Shakespeare 8' 5/6wt Walmart special. For one thing, no one would want it, isn't worth any $$ to sell it. But to me, it's the first fly rod I bought after probly 25 yrs away from the sport and propelled me back into it. It was bought on a whim and encouraged by my wife. It casts surprisingly well and I like the color of the blank, don't care for the crappy seat and grip and someday I want to replace that if possible. But the 1494 reel works well and holds line like champ. I can still take that rod n reel setup and go catch fish. I may not 'love' the rod, but I Love what that rod represents and won't part with it.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 01-24-2015, 04:19 PM

slips74 is on a distinguished road

I could stand to lose some weight so selling my rods to eat, not happening.

You only enjoy food for a very short time, sort of rent it, but fly rods provide a lifetime of enjoyment!

If I'm going hungry I've got plenty of other junk to sell.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM

photoguy will become famous soon enoughphotoguy will become famous soon enough

So far, I've never really had a reason to get rid of a rod.

Still have:
Purchased in the 60's: St. Croix fly rod, Berkeley Spin rod.
Purchased in the 70's: Fenwick fly rod, Orvis graphite fly rod
Skipped the 80's, 90's and 00's
Purchased in '14: Orvis graphite.

THe Orvis Far and Fine from 1979 has some sentimental value that the others don't so I'd probably keep that one over the others if I had to sell anything.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:38 PM

zug buggin is a glorious beacon of lightzug buggin is a glorious beacon of lightzug buggin is a glorious beacon of lightzug buggin is a glorious beacon of lightzug buggin is a glorious beacon of light

Its not my most expensive but my favorite would not part with rod is my SAGE SP 9' 6wt. I love casting that rod
bigjim5589 likes this.