Your Fly rod brand of choice

akuriko

Reaction score
Hi All, i been pondering this question for a while, i would like to know your fly rod brand or loyalty brand and ask the question of why that brand? please share your opinions on it.

~Akuriko

C

caster o flies

I prefer Scott. I like the way they feel and cast. Hook ups feel solid.
Let me share this thought. No one company really builds a bad rod. It's all personal preference. What works for me may not work for you. It's how you connect to the rod with your style of casting stroke.
It is possible you may like more than one brand as well. I also like Orvis. Sage is a great company of fly rods, but I haven't found a Sage that fits my style.
Some say as for fast rods, Sage is it. As others will say Orvis is to fragile as with Winston. It's your call. If you find a rod that fits your style, what does the brand name matter? It doesn't. Ford,Chevy, Dodge. We all have different tastes. The great thing about it is once you find that rod, you can be sure you didn't make a mistake.

In the meantime have fun playing with different rods.

jpgodf

Reaction score
I prefer Scott. I like the way they feel and cast. Hook ups feel solid.
Let me share this thought. No one company really builds a bad rod. It's all personal preference. What works for me may not work for you. It's how you connect to the rod with your style of casting stroke.
It is possible you may like more than one brand as well. I also like Orvis. Sage is a great company of fly rods, but I haven't found a Sage that fits my style.
Some say as for fast rods, Sage is it. As others will say Orvis is to fragile as with Winston. It's your call. If you find a rod that fits your style, what does the brand name matter? It doesn't. Ford,Chevy, Dodge. We all have different tastes. The great thing about it is once you find that rod, you can be sure you didn't make a mistake.

In the meantime have fun playing with different rods.
I agree completely with what you're saying. Arguments like the old Chevy/Ford peeing contest usually produce a lot more heat than light.
And rod brands can get 'branded' incorrectly too. For example, I just purchased a Sage Circa. You wouldn't believe what a fine slow action it has.
It flexes beautifully almost to the cork. Most folks don't know that because all the hype about Sage is fast/stiff comes from the celebrity of the Sage One. The Sage Circa is at the completely other end of the spectrum from the One.

JP

moucheur2003

Reaction score
If you exclude specialty and custom rodbuilders (like Burkheimer and Tom Morgan) that occupy only a small niche in the market, then I would say Loomis, Orvis, Hardy, Sage, T&T, and Winston all have made some rods that are legendary, but they have also made others that are stinkers. I can't say that one brand is my consistent favorite, it depends on the particular model.

I will admit that I have a bit of extra fondness for Orvis just because they are a local company here in New England, and enjoyed a commanding reputation when I was growing up and learning to fish. I have a few of the best rods they have built over the years in my collection, as well as a handful of their CFO reels. But that wouldn't be enough to steer me toward a new Orvis rod in a particular size for a particular kind of fishing unless I also thought it was the best choice for performance and value. I've also got a Hardy and a Sage and a couple of Loomises and a couple of Winstons.

Last edited:

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As far as brand loyalty goes, I have none. There are a bunch of great rods out there and if I can get a great deal on one I need, I am all over it. I'd like to have one of each of all the great brands out there.

wjc

Reaction score
All the rods I fish the salt with are Sage. Prior to that, they were Fenwicks.

So far, I've always been able to find a Sage that is better than I am and that does the job I want it for. I like their waranty (despite the time lag), I like the fact that they fixed a 25 year old rod for me, I like the fact that they are American owned and manufactured in the US.

Thus far, I've had no reason to change, though I have test casted other brands.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
A guy in a Montana saloon says to his buddy, "How could you buy a Chevy, everyone knows Fords are better. My Granddaddy, Pa and I have NEVER driven anything but a Ford, they are the best!" So his bud replies, "When was the last time you drove a Silverado?" "Well, never even have been in one", he replies. "Then how the heck would you know and justify your loyalty to Ford?"

Yesterday's Orvis, Winston or whatever are not today's. Different designers, materials even blank sourcing in Winston's case. The above comparison of Circa to ONE...well, they both share the same material technology and designer but they have almost diametrically opposed actions and use intent. Therein lies a philosophical division among anglers. "Personal preference", "Stroke style"; to what degree are we talking about habitualized behavior like Ford purchasing vs. informed adaptability to differing rod designs intended for varied habitats. As one who fishes spring creeks, big rivers and oceanic environments I have been compelled to and thoroughly enjoy casting a range of very different rods from a bunch of different makers. Circa and ONE are designed by the same brilliant rod designer, Jerry Siem, and he casts them both beautifully but in different places.

Brand loyalty often derives from non-angling sources...reputation, guide recommendation, warranty and customer service perception, aesthetic properties, brand "image" not to mention price-point and nation of origin. Authentic comparative analysis and side-by-side objective test casting yielding rods that match your preferred range on fly fishing environments...regrettably and too often less so.

This is why I so often emphasize rod selection by designer rather than by brand with an emphasis on the quality of blank fabrication, invisible to the naked eye but it is no secret that a handful of rod companies put extra effort into build quality (not talking reel seats and paint jobs here but the integrity of the internal blank construction). Sage, Loomis, Scott, T&T are companies that have long term top designers in residence and highly expert rod shop personnel. That does not mean I or any other serious fisher likes every rod they make and only rods made by them. I am familiar with Circa 8'9"/#4 and it is not for me, too much tip travel and too deep a flex profile. And just because Hardy Zenith (for example) is built at an off-shore facility is not a negative for me as it too has a great designer behind it, Britain, Howard Crostin, and the Korean shop does a fine job...a great performing rod.

So, rather than a favorite brand, I have favorite rods from several different makers which I select by casting and fishing and those performance properties and the qualities they manifest trump any other aspect of their brand of production.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I like rods with personality. New and shiny doesn't do it for me.
I could care less about latest greatest thing.

On any given day I'll be fishing a JK Fisher, a Phillipson, a Berkley or even a Fenwick
Ask me my favorite on that day and you'll get one answer, ask me a week later and it will very possibly be something different

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Brand Bias?

I’ve had rods models that I favored in given lengths and actions and for a short while I cared who they were made by, but not enough to seek out that companies rods over another, certainly never enough to purchase hats or clothing carrying their brand name. On the other hand, there are rod companies that no matter how many new models they introduce or how much this world of anglers swoon over them, I simply can’t warm to. While I’d like to think that I keep an open mind towards their products, I know that I impose a host of hurdles for their rods to clear, that I don’t impose on the other companies. Whether it be stigma, lack of refinement in action or bad blood from past experiences, those companies just have a harder time closing the deal with me.

Don't know if realizing that about myself, makes me honest or just human.

Dave

glacierjohn

Reaction score
I think many of us have a soft spot for the company that made that first good rod you got back in the day, and continue to root for them to keep up with the competition. That's how I feel about Scott. My first "good" fly rod was a Scott Powerply and though I have had rods from Winston, Sage, Echo 3, TFO and others, I lean toward Scott. But like S&S says, it's the designer, close behind and maybe tied with my Scotts are a Sage SP that I fished with for 15 years and my Winston WT.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
This is a most interesting thread as 'trout fishing' is really limited here in most of Southern Oregon (lakes we got). So my answer is aimed at the choice folks who build 2handers. My preference, in no particular order, is Meizer, Gary Anderson (ACR rods) or Burkie.

Both of them have extensive lines of rods to choose from but you can pick up the phone and have a 30 minute conversation with any of them. No salesman's BS, through run on the who/what/where/how/etc. When you're through, and you lay down the dimes, you know you've got it pretty well nailed down as to 'what rod.' Even to what line type to purchase ...

Looking all the designations for single handers totally baffles me. Same line weight but 'a dozen rod designation (letter's/number's), other than reading the manufacturer's blurb who knows?

Single hander wise the only two I own is an old Sage XP 7wt and an older St. Crox 8wt. There are times when a 2hander just isn't the proper choice of rod.

fae

mike_r

Reaction score
I think many of us have a soft spot for the company that made that first good rod you got back in the day, and continue to root for them to keep up with the competition. That's how I feel about Scott. My first "good" fly rod was a Scott Powerply and though I have had rods from Winston, Sage, Echo 3, TFO and others, I lean toward Scott. But like S&S says, it's the designer, close behind and maybe tied with my Scotts are a Sage SP that I fished with for 15 years and my Winston WT.
John's first statement rings true with me. Not so much a deep sense of loyalty, but rather a sort of affection that has lingered. For me, the first "good" rod I had was a Winston WT. I moved on to Sages, and have had a slew of Sage rods from 3-7wt. My Sage rods are handsome, great casting and fishing tools, and most have been bulletproof in terms of durability. Sages are my work horses but the single Winston I now own is the apple of my eye:rolleyes:

slips74

Reaction score
I'm not a single brand type, I've purchased very good rods from good companies. I like to sample what's out there. My quiver consists of Fenwick, G Loomis, Scott, Echo & Hardy. Each one performs well for the task in which I ask of it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I like Trout Trecker's point...Regardless of how many rods I love to fish from several current and many older fly rod companies, I do not own a single hat or tee shirt from any of them. If a rod company wished to gift me a hat with their brand emblazoned boldly across the front of it, I would request an advertising fee (free rods? OK, I'll wear it).

The trout town of Craig, MT has three fly shops on its main drag. My wife bought me a nice hat, made by Simms, with one of their logos on it. I like this hat, comfortable and, like most Simms hats, really nice quality. I can wear it at home but not in Craig...how do I go into the other two shops wearing the third's logo hat?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Gee, and Craig used to be such a tranquil place. It went to hell after they built the new bridge.
It is more my anti-brand affiliation with the hat...no one would likely notice, care and certainly not say anything. It's me not them, however, I concur that the old one lane bridge helped slow things down a little. Still no light or cell service in town. My current favorite fishing hat, not marketed by a fishing company, has no writing at all on it. I have one in olive for trout and another in tan for the flats.

The mesh lined sun shade is Velcro removable and folded into a vest pocket when not in use. In the drift boat on a sunny day though, it is a great thing to have available.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I think many of us have a soft spot for the company that made that first good rod you got back in the day, and continue to root for them to keep up with the competition...
That sums up my position. A lot of good memories and quality product when it was difficult for me to afford a decent rod. St Croix will always be considered. I don't always buy one, but if they have a product in the niche I need a very good reason to buy a different brand. There will be more St Croix in the future.