The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2015, 10:01 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future
Default St Croix Legend Ultra is back

Appears to be available from Cabela's only, for now anyway. If anyone has ever cast a 5 or 6WT Ultra please let me know what you think. I have a 9WT for huge musky flies. The Legend Elite has been on my radar since I started fly fishing but I never pulled the trigger due to it's ultra fast rep.

St. Croix Legend Ultra Fly Rod : Cabela's
Old 02-13-2015, 10:10 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Croix Legend Ultra is back

I grab my LU 9' 4wt over my 9' 4wt z axis 70% of the time ,

I had a 5wt for a few years but sold it due to lack of use , it's a great rod I regret selling . I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in a second
ia_trouter likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-13-2015, 10:24 PM

marky3130 is a jewel in the roughmarky3130 is a jewel in the roughmarky3130 is a jewel in the rough

I've got the 9' 6wt LU. I love this rod. Easily my most fished rod and I have several other 6 wts that cost much more. It's been durable, is forgiving on casting stroke issues, has plenty of power, and good at all distances. I'm thinking of picking another one up while they are being offered.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:45 PM

ia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant futureia_trouter has a brilliant future

Thanks guys. I was leaning 6WT as I can replace a 5 and a 6WT. The rod in every weight and reels and good lines to match thing got out of hand early. I have an Imperial 4WT 7-6 bought so IA trout are covered 95% since I have even smaller rods than a 4WT too. Just looking for something that will toss a small streamer with authority and be useful in the wind. I want to cover 5-7WT with one rod. Doesn't have to be perfect in all situations, but good enough to not start thinking I need more rods in that range.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:37 AM

lake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to alllake flyer is a name known to all

I have the five piece 5 wt Legend Ultra and I would say it is a moderate fast rod. It has plenty of reserve power in the lower sections, so much so that I use a 5 wt line for the most part, but in windier conditions or larger flies I carry an extra spool with a 6 wt line and it handles it just fine. I really like this rod, one of the best rods I own regardless of price.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:10 AM

deceiverbob has a spectacular aura aboutdeceiverbob has a spectacular aura aboutdeceiverbob has a spectacular aura about

I have the 9" 3 wt. I bought it for saltwater fishing after using my friends rod of the same model. We were using it to catch speckled trout and lady fish. My friend also landed an 18# jack crevalle on his, so it does have some backbone.
The 3 wt would cast size 4 and 6 bonefish flies easily if we didn't weight them too heavily. We used an SA GPX line for this fishing. I have the Legend Elite in 6 wt. I don't find it to be nearly as fast as my Sage Xi2 in the same weight.
Don't be afraid of an "ultra fast" rod. I avoided the Sage TCR and TCX series due to this. I finally cast a TCX in 8 wt and loved it, so much I went on the big auction site and bought one. Fished it once and went and ordered the 6. Find a Legend Elite to cast if you haven't already, You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:15 AM

plecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud ofplecain has much to be proud of

I have the 10' 6 wt.
I use it when I need a little distance on a larger river.
The only criticism I have is that it's somewhat heavy. Part of that, I'm sure, is that I almost never use a rod heavier than 3 wt. otherwise. But, it does weigh 4.9 oz.
I don't know if this new one has a different, lighter, profile or materials. Maybe it does.

Paul
Old 02-14-2015, 11:08 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

I have a few of them as this is the rod that I broke into flyfishing with.
Hanging on my wall are an old 2pc 4 wt and an old 2pc six wt .... both first gen ultras. The 4wt is a fantastic rod. I also have a 2nd gen Ultra 4pc 5wt and 2nd gen ultra 4pc six wt. Good rods from a really great company .... great warranty .... Made in Cheese Head -ville .....
Don't really care for the 5wt ... both six wts are my bass rods and the 4wt is just such a great rod.

I turned into a Sage snob years ago so they don't see a lot of action if any thru the seasons ..... but I just cant part with them.

Last edited by royalcoach; 02-14-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 AM

dpreller will become famous soon enough

I love these rods for the price. I had the 9 5 but sold it and shouldn't have. Also have the old 8 ft 4 .I think while cabelas has the I may get another 5 and a 6. Also the newer generation elites are not as fast as the old ones. You may want to give one a cast if you get a chance.read Anderson's five weight review the elite finished only a few points below the rods costing twice as much. He really likes them and he likes rods with softer tips and powerful mid sections.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:01 PM

tpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of lighttpo is a glorious beacon of light

I had two, a 8.5' 4 wt (2 piece) and a 9' 5wt (four piece). Love the 4 wt, never cared for the 5 wt. The quality is very good, both are mod/fast action at most, and for lake fishing I thought the 5 was too slow for my liking. Never go much use as a result, and a few years ago I accidentally broke it and took an Imperial 5wt as a replacement and its a faster action that suits my style/preference better so I'm happy with the trade. My two cents.

Tom