The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: Which to go with?
Original Plan A - G Loomis NRX 9' 9 wt w/ Blue Nautilus NV G-9/10 6 26.09%
Original Plan B - G Loomis NRX 9' 9 wt w/ Turneffe Atoll Blue Hatch 7+ 1 4.35%
New Plan - 2 Scott Tidals (8 wt & 10 wt) w/ Hatch 7+ & 9+ 16 69.57%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 AM

miamimikepa has a spectacular aura aboutmiamimikepa has a spectacular aura about
Default Change of Plans...From NRX to Tidal?

Hey Guys,

So I've talked to many of you guys concerning what reel to put on a G Loomis NRX 9' 9 wt rod for my upcoming trip to Islamorada next November. The initial plan was to get the NRX in 9 wt to avoid having to purchase 2 rods and 2 reels. I had narrowed the choice of reel to the Nautilus NV G-9/10 or the Hatch 7+. After a trip to one of my local fly shops yesterday it appears the plans may have changed...

In the reel thread OldSkewl808 recommended rethinking my plans of 1 super high end rod and dropping the price point a bit and going with 2 outfits. At first I really didn't consider it as I was really sold on the NRX and knew I wouldn't be able to swing 2 outfits. At the Somerset show I looked at the Tidal a bit, which was very appealing, but didn't spend tons of time with it as I felt as though I already had my mind set on the NRX. After reading some of the reviews, playing with them a bit more yesterday, and sitting down and crunching some numbers I'm starting to lean towards OldSkewl808's suggestion and going with the 2 outfits.

Originally I was looking to get a limited edition (Hatch 7+ Turneffe) or custom (Blue Nautilus NV G-9/10) plus the 9wt NRX, which would be $1665 (Hatch) or $1690 (Nautilus), depending on the reel I chose. After looking at the Tidals, really liking them, loving the price point of $475, and reading that they are better suited for the once or twice a years flats fisherman I'm now leaning toward purchasing 1 in 8 wt and 1 in 10 wt. Instead of $815 for the NRX I'd be spending $950 for both rods. Also, I have acquired a 20% off coupon to a store that carries Hatch reels. So instead of buying the Custom Nautilus or the Limited Edition Hatch for the previously mentioned prices I could pick up a Hatch 7+ for $480 and a 9+ for $600, which would only be about $205-230 more than buying 1 of the more expensive reels.

Curious what you guys think about going this route instead of the original route?

Also, any feedback on the Scott Tidal rods would be great!

Thanks!
Mike
Old 02-23-2015, 03:51 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of Plans...From NRX to Tidal?

I have neither checked out nor gotten any feedback on Tidal. A modest priced Korean-built I fished but don't own is Tim Rajeff's ECHO3S. I fished a 9-weight and was impressed by it. I am one to go for the best rod I can find and add supplemental rods slowly and deliberately. I am also one to go for stock reel colors like black but the Hatch blue Turneff reel is very cool.
miamimikepa likes this.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 PM

miamimikepa has a spectacular aura aboutmiamimikepa has a spectacular aura about

S&S, I'm with you, I tend to try and buy the best once and be done with it. With that being said I am looking to hit up the flats once a year at best and offshore NJ stripers 3 times a year. I'm wondering if the mid price rods are a better investment for me at this time. The thought is if I ever get real big into the saltwater fishing, and it becomes a more than once a year thing I could always add NRX rods down the line and move the Tidals to a backup role. Or if I really wish I bought the NRX I can always sell the Tidals and upgrade.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:56 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as I originally said, I would buy a fine #9 outfit. Great for local NE inshore fly rodding and fine for once-a-year flats fishing. Fall in love with flats fishing and your quiver will grow. Though I use an 8-wt. more than any other bonefishing; if I had but one rod (oh no, not that!) it would be a 9-wt. I am not an ultra-light guy, the lightest trout rods I fish on the smallest streams are #4's. Trust me, a bonefish will pull hard enough for you to feel on a #9.
miamimikepa likes this.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:15 PM

adealarcon is on a distinguished road

Im probably with s&s on this one.....prefer to get the best i can afford for that rod. Although an alternative is to go with the tidals and those become your eventual backups. (pretty stellar backups) Also depends if there are other quarry for your new found rod. Since I purchased my first 8 weight i have found numreous other local uses including smallmouth, pike and soon to be carp. Again you might find that it just opens up a whole new arena of fishing. have you had a chance to cast the tidal side by side with the nrx?
miamimikepa likes this.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM

I haven't had the chance to cast them side by side and I wont. Unfortunately I don't have a shop that sells both brands. There is no doubt the NRX is stiffer and has more power. I'm wondering if the Tidal is actually a better fit for me since I am a novice/beginner to both saltwater fishing as well as the double haul. I've read the Tidal is much more forgiving.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

It's a dead even split...5 votes for going NRX and 5 for Tidal (I know it's 6 but 1 vote was mine so I didn't have to keep clicking the view the results lol). I agree with you guys that if I go NRX I'm gong with the Nautilus not the Hatch, so the Blue TAT Hatch is out!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

What's the best rod for S&S may not be the best for you, and may, in fact be a worse rod. If you have cast both rods, even if not side by side, if one has not really stood way out from the other, I'd say don't buy based on one's reputation.

Reels, if you are going to fish them, I don't think are worth spending extra money on special editions either. If you can get the same engineering in a production reel, aside from being way cheaper, you won't be worrying about boat rash so much after a year.

[COLOR="Red"Added[/COLOR]:
Quote:
I tend to try and buy the best once and be done with it.
For how long will it be "the best"?
miamimikepa likes this.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 AM

Well, of course there will always be a better rod, next year. And, since my stripped bass/false albacore fishing is traveled to by car, I can and do fish some earlier 2-pc. rods that are too awkward to travel by plane with. Further, there is a differentiation for me between a good Autumn Blitz rod and a flats rod...for the flats I want the ultimate in accuracy and wind penetrating high line speed/tight loop generation. For bass from a boat I like a rod that is fun and easy to fish because I am making countless casts to busting fish as opposed to relatively few casts sight fishing to feeding flats species. I don't consider NRX to be overly fast, it actually has a surprisingly compliant tip and excels at most everything a larger line size rod should do. Method, that is a really fast rod which I could very happily fish permit with but my current "wish list" rod for bass and albies is Sage's new SALT.

If I was planning on bonefishing once a year (and I am very lucky if I get to fish any more than that...last year I had 3 weeks of bonefishing and that was above average) which is the most expensive fishing I do (flights and lodging and guides in Bahamian out islands) and I was looking to be cost effective with my tackle, here is what I would do. I would buy a great 8-weight outfit determined by casting the rods; NRX and S4s are my current preferred rods but there definitely are other good ones and I would (do) use reels like NV and Hatch and I would also buy a second rod, also good but more modestly price-pointed; could be a discontinued Xi3 or new ECHO3S in a #9 or 10 with a good imported reel, Cheeky or some other sealed-stacked drag reel in that class. It costs too much to travel to a bonefishing destination to arrive with either inadequate or without back-up tackle and the heavier mid-priced rod would double as your NE inshore outfit.

It is different for wjc or me because we have salty sticks going back decades. I have my old but excellent Diamondback Stu Apt's and Sage RPLX's and, here is a bargain rod for #9 or 10 applications, Loomis CrossCurrent GLX...a heck of a big game fly rod!
miamimikepa likes this.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I like to have the best rod I can afford too. But obviously that is a very relative decision. And let's remember the medium quality rods of today probably compare with most of the "great" rods of 7-8 years ago. I had a Scott STS 3 piece 9-8 weight which was a great flats rod at the time. If I would have never casted a 9-8 Hardy Proaxis I would have been perfectly happy catching fish with that Scott. And there are only perhaps 5% times where the situation tips the scale to the premier rod over the very good rod.

While S & S is right that it's crazy to go on a once and a life time trip with inferior equipment that might fail, the reality is the "inexpensive" gear the OP is talking about is a Scott rod and a Hatch reel. It isn't like he's talking about going to Wal Mart and buying an Shakespeare Wild River combo to fish tarpon or something.

The reality is the gear the OP is talking about saving money with is still top of the line gear, and I don't believe that spending the extra money will result in any more fish or better reliability. Unless the OP plans to fish 30-40 days a year in Islamorada, I don't see it. He can always buy the newer "better" rod later and relegate the Tidal's to back up duty.
miamimikepa and swflangler like this.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 AM

So, I spoke to the guide last night and have booked him. We have switched locations from Islamorada to Biscayne Bay on his suggestion. His recommendation was to go with a 9wt for bonefish. He said if I were to go with 2 mid range rods he would still suggest the 9wt & 10wt and forgo the 8wt. His advice was that an 8wt is really only good down there in ideal conditions, which is rare.

What this means is the 2 rod option is out. I was only considering 2 rods because I can get Hatch reels at a discount, but I have decided I do not want a Hatch reel for the 9wt...they really do need to make an 8+! Anyway, since I have decided to go with only 1 rod I will be going with a 9' 9wt G Loomis NRX. On top of it I went to my local shop that carries G Loomis and he told me he'd knock $100 off so it will be $715 instead of $815.

That leaves me to the reel. Because an 8+ doesn't exist and I don't want a MA reel, Hatch is out for this rod. At this time I am heavily leaning toward a Nautilus NV G-9/10. The guide's rcommendation was to either go with Nautilus or Tibor. Don't really know much about Tibor so I've started a thread in the reel section. Please feel free to comment over there is you have any experience. Also, the Abel SD interests me, but I'm not sure when they will be releasing the 9/10 version and I'm looking to buy this reel in the next 2-3 months to begin practicing for the trip.

Just want to take this chance to thank everyone who commented and gave their advice. Probably couldn't have made a bad decision, there is just so much personal preference involved.

Thanks Again!
Mike

P.S. Only going down w/ 1 rod is a non issue as the guide said he has many rods for different situations. Even said I really don't need to bring anything, but I want to purchase something to start practicing. New to the double haul!!!