The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 1 Post By winstonwt
  • 2 Post By trout trekker
  • 2 Post By oldskewl808
  • 1 Post By swflangler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 10:51 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Default redington vapen rods

I've never owned one or cast one but Madison river fishing company has them on sale for $199.95,the red handle ones.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:09 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice
Default Re: redington vapen rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonwt View Post
I've never owned one or cast one but Madison river fishing company has them on sale for $199.95,the red handle ones.
Reading between the lines here , maybe I am wrong but just out of curiosity , you have a line up of Winston rods , perhaps the finest looking rods ( next to T&T ) made on this continent and you are considering putting one of those ugly golf club rods in their mist ?

Shame on you !

( Just poking a little fun Vapen guys so put down the tar & feathers )
Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

This one made me smile. Love the name. No sense hiding who you are really trying to sell one too. I wonder if they sell a putting rod for my spring creeks? I'd like to bust one about two feet from the handle and return it with a complaint they failed to provide proper instructions.

Cabela's 9-Iron Fly Rod : Cabela's
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:38 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
This one made me smile. Love the name. No sense hiding who you are really trying to sell one too.

Cabela's 9-Iron Fly Rod : Cabela's
Looks a lot like one of the hoses I replaced on the backhoe the other day !
Old 02-24-2015, 09:22 AM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: redington vapen rods

NO! I'm not thinking of buying one ,just looking at their clearance page and came across this rod.No way,zilch,nada,zip.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a rod progressive but I want a cork grip even on my mass produced Chinese rods...and we, in fact, do have a couple of such in some pile around here...
Old 02-24-2015, 01:57 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

New grip systems are popping up all over the industry. Along with the Chinese built Vapen Red, Black & the Cabela’s 9 Iron there is now the Fölken Dun. From what I gather, Fölken is the Swedish plural of the word Folk, but it’s also tech nomenclature for a code writer with mad skills. I think it’s to the latter that the rod owes it’s name, but more about the new tech a little later on in this write up.

Click the image to open in full size.

Unlike the other rods mentioned that to this point all incorporate grip materials from the golf industry, the Korean built Fölken Dun employs the Prince tennis racket Resi Pro grip system that adds tack while reducing moisture build up from long hours of fishing in hot climates. Plus it’s Resi Pro grip comes in a pleasing, more traditional fly fishing color of Dun, though to me it appears to be more of a pale dun. It’s built on an attractive tiger eye blank in one of Korea’s foremost rod shops.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quick dampening with a smooth fast action without that tell tale bone jarring finish on the stop. This particular model, a four piece, 9’ six weight with a small neat fighting nub is perfect for streamers from size 6 to 2 and longer casts with shooting heads and multi-tip systems. One of the incredible things about the Fölken Dun is that it offers all of this for about $150.00 less than it’s more well known counterparts and as would be expected, it comes with a rod sock and cordura covered rod case. The new Fölken Dun is the first rod of its kind to include an embedded anti-tampering, anti-theft technology. You could say, it’s an aggressive rod with a micro-chip on it’s shoulder. The Fölken Dun comes with a 25 year guarantee against both breakage and theft. While I won’t pretend to understand the technology used or how it works, the companies literature boasts that if anyone other than the registered owner of the rod attempts to steal or alter the rod in anyway, they’re Fölken Dun.

Dave
sweetandsalt and gjq like this.

Last edited by trout trekker; 02-24-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:49 PM

oldskewl808 has a spectacular aura aboutoldskewl808 has a spectacular aura aboutoldskewl808 has a spectacular aura about

Pfffft. Ugly grip or not. They perform nicely, and at that price,?yeah, I ordered one.
trout trekker and swflangler like this.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM

swflangler is on a distinguished road

I ordered a cork vapen and ended up with a red I've decided to keep it because it cast and feels great. It looks funky, but kinda cool at the same time.
trout trekker likes this.