• RL Winston

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Thomas and Thomas

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Scott

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Orvis

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • The other brand (other custom fly rod makers)

Votes: 36 55.4%

• Total voters

akuriko

Reaction score
I been curious so i decided to make a poll this morning, so i have to ask, what bamboo fly rod maker would you choose if you had a choice?

1.Orvis
2.Sweetgrass
3.RL Winston
4.Thomas And Thomas
5.Some other brand ( other custom makers)
6.Scott

jgentile

Reaction score
I chose "other". The reason being is that I am thinking of acquiring my first cane rod and there is a very, very good husband/wife team here in town (Tufts & Batson). I can handle, inspect various rods/tapers, collaborate on the build personally and monitor the whole process from the splitting of the cane to the final finishes.

WHAT am I getting myself into???!!!

glacierjohn

Reaction score
Even though I just ordered a Sweetgrass, I didn't vote as without trying the other rods I wouldn't presume they are the best. The issue many people have with not being able to access say an NRX LP close to home or any rod is 100 worse with small bamboo companies. Unless there is a shop near your home, or you travel though their area on other business, chances are you will never see one of these rods in person, much less actually cast it

I'm sure each of these rods are exquisite, but without actually casting one I would never have the guts to order such an expensive item sight unseen. I'm luck that Sweetgrass is close enough to where I live and play, that it's a fun diversion to visit their shop and play around on the grass with their wonderful instruments. They really are more akin to a finely crafted violin or guitar than a plastic fly rod.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I don't fish cane much anymore but I deeply respect the art form of making them. Among the "factory" makers, I voted for T&T but if I could have a custom rod built for me it would be from no other than Per Brandon a maestro that crafts a fully hollow built 8'3"/#4 that is the most desirable modern cane rod I have ever cast.

troutnut4

Reaction score
My vote: Art Weiler. Excellent quality for the price. Beautiful Garrison reproduction 4 WT., 7'3"for small stream and midge fishing is my only boo to date. :thumbsupu

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I voted for T&T, but if I were really ordering one, it would probably be a custom job by Bill "Streamer" Abrams (Housatonic Rods - the Rods) or Rolf Baginski (ProductMenu). They both do exquisite work.

Orvis used to make a full line of bamboo rods, but these days they only offer two models and rarely even mention it in their marketing. They have shrunk from being a major force in bamboo to effectively just another small custom shop. Their stuff was built for fishing hard rather than just admiring -- the only 'boo rod in my collection is my dad's old 7' Orvis Battenkill built in 1959, both tips are still straight as an arrow, and it still casts as sweetly as the day it left Abercrombie's.

ghocevar

Reaction score
Haven't fished many bamboo rods, but out of the several makers that I have, South Creek Limited...Hands down, no questions asked.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I would have to go with Orvis. I think that the older rods are under-valued and they have made many nice rods that hold up well through the years. I have cast some beautiful rods made by other manufacturers and some custom rod builders I have pursued not only have come up with wonderful actions but beautiful presentations. I have been so close to pulling the trigger on a number of these various rods.

However, when it gets down to it, I am less in to the aesthetics of the rod and more in to the overall fishability. I am also put off in spending more than $1000 on a rod. As I tend to be a little tough on equipment.

burk48237

Reaction score
I'm personally not a fan of most of the East Coast tapers. Most of the ones I've handled were very slow traditional Boo. As far as the Factory makers, some of them have very good quality. But most don't offer anything special in value. My choices are all smaller custom MI makers. The legacy of Boo in MI is incredible with some exceptional tapers on which to build on. Even the Heddon rods were very good.

For me I want rods that carry on the Legacy of Young, Dickerson and Wes Jordan of South Bend IN. To me some of those tapers are magical like the Paul Young Midge, the Summers 752, the Dickerson 6611. If I could have any one's rod right now my choices would be in this order:

Keystone Rods (Grayling MI), He builds a wonderful 6611

Summers Rods (Traverse City MI), He worked at Young's and builds a great rod the 752, but he's got a 7 year waiting list and he's in his 80's.

Tom Ciemiega: He has since passed, if you can find one of his rods used BUY IT. He was the best caster I ever saw (learned from Ted Williams), and he understood rod tapers. He worked at Paul Young's in the 60s as a fly tier.

Jim Pickard (Hillsdale MI) He bought Dickerson's old shop, I don't know him well, but I've heard good stuff.

Mark Aroner (Spinoza Rod Company-MA) I've heard some good things, If you like updates on Leonard tapers, I've heard he takes them to a different level.

Amibillus Fly Rods (Randall Fridland IN) does some nice stuff too.

I'm not impressed by any of the factory stuff, although the Tom Moran stuff coming from Hardy was nice towards the end. Despite my love for Twin Bridges history, I have yet to cast a Winston Boo, that wasn't a buggy whip taper, not my thing. The Orvis boos are impregnated and heavy, but good values used. The Scotts (Eden) are intriguing, but I've never seen one.

geordie41

Reaction score
I own one or two bamboo rods including a Sweetgrass whitch I love but AJ Thramer makes a lovely rod his Payne 97 taper is very nice and at a very competitive price . If money was no object Calum Gladstone of Hardy,s and The Tom Moran rod company is producing some fine Cane rods,Nick Taranski is also another fine builder as is Mike brooks the list goes on and on I think we are spoilt for choice as there are so many fine builders of Bamboo rods. If I was looking for my first bamboo rod I would find a local builder or dealer and try a few different tapers before I buy,failing that I would go a Sweetgrass mantra, a great introduction to bamboo rods.

rasputinj

Reaction score
AJ makes great Rods and so does Dennis stone out of Oregon. I really like quads and Doug Daniel of Cali makes some great ones. I have built a quad with him and am working on some rods rights now. You can't go wrong with sweet grass. I would stay away from Orvis, just buy a used one if you want an Orvis. I think there are a lot better rods for your money than a new Orvis.

glacierjohn

Reaction score
I own one or two bamboo rods including a Sweetgrass whitch I love but AJ Thramer makes a lovely rod his Payne 97 taper is very nice and at a very competitive price . If money was no object Calum Gladstone of Hardy,s and The Tom Moran rod company is producing some fine Cane rods,Nick Taranski is also another fine builder as is Mike brooks the list goes on and on I think we are spoilt for choice as there are so many fine builders of Bamboo rods. If I was looking for my first bamboo rod I would find a local builder or dealer and try a few different tapers before I buy,failing that I would go a Sweetgrass mantra, a great introduction to bamboo rods.
At $1,000.00 for a blank identical to the higher line, but for it's furniture and lack of a second tip, the Mantra is a sleeper deal. BTW you can upgrade if you want, I added silver-nickel hardware for $1oo. $1,100.00 for a custom made bamboo rod on the proven Bracket taper, with fine fittings (believe me, the lower level isn't junk), is a super deal. If I break my tip they can always build me a new one.

mbchilton

Reaction score
At $1,000.00 for a blank identical to the higher line, but for it's furniture and lack of a second tip, the Mantra is a sleeper deal. BTW you can upgrade if you want, I added silver-nickel hardware for $1oo. $1,100.00 for a custom made bamboo rod on the proven Bracket taper, with fine fittings (believe me, the lower level isn't junk), is a super deal. If I break my tip they can always build me a new one.

Saw this the other day on their website and had the same thought. A $1000 rod is not in the cards presently, but it's attainable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troutnut4

Reaction score
I dont think i would of chosen a scott, there line is only 3 rods and from a maker in japan.

~Akuriko
Akuriko, earlier today I came across a YouTube video titled "Colorado Cane" - The making and fishing Cane Rods. In it were interviews of a number of cane builders, some you will recognize and one in particular caught my attention because he built bamboo rods for Scott. Check out the video, interesting. :D

scotty macfly

Reaction score
If I could afford such a beautiful instrument to fish with, hands down, without a doubt it would be South Creek Limited. Mike makes such beautiful rods, but not only that, he takes the time to ask you questions on where you plan to fish, and fish for, so he can build the customer the rod of their dreams. He takes his time, and if something isn't right no matter how small the issue, he breaks it and starts over. I met him several times and have been in his shop. The man is serious about his craft. It's no wonder he is in high demand. Long waiting list though. But is very highly regarded as one of the best.
But if I was to purchase one soon, it would be Brush Creek. Frank does very fine work as well, and has a loyal following. And his rods are very affordable. He will even teach you to make your rod.