The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

View Poll Results: What brand of bamboo fly rod would you choose
Sweetgrass 5 25.00%
RL Winston 0 0%
Thomas and Thomas 4 20.00%
Scott 0 0%
Orvis 3 15.00%
The other brand (other custom fly rod makers) 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 PM

akuriko is on a distinguished road
Default Fly rod brand of choice: Bamboo rods

I been curious so i decided to make a poll this morning, so i have to ask, what bamboo fly rod maker would you choose if you had a choice?

1.Orvis
2.Sweetgrass
3.RL Winston
4.Thomas And Thomas
5.Some other brand ( other custom makers)
6.Scott
Old 02-26-2015, 01:24 PM

jgentile is a glorious beacon of lightjgentile is a glorious beacon of lightjgentile is a glorious beacon of lightjgentile is a glorious beacon of lightjgentile is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fly rod brand of choice: Bamboo rods

I chose "other". The reason being is that I am thinking of acquiring my first cane rod and there is a very, very good husband/wife team here in town (Tufts & Batson). I can handle, inspect various rods/tapers, collaborate on the build personally and monitor the whole process from the splitting of the cane to the final finishes.

WHAT am I getting myself into???!!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:01 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough

Even though I just ordered a Sweetgrass, I didn't vote as without trying the other rods I wouldn't presume they are the best. The issue many people have with not being able to access say an NRX LP close to home or any rod is 100 worse with small bamboo companies. Unless there is a shop near your home, or you travel though their area on other business, chances are you will never see one of these rods in person, much less actually cast it

I'm sure each of these rods are exquisite, but without actually casting one I would never have the guts to order such an expensive item sight unseen. I'm luck that Sweetgrass is close enough to where I live and play, that it's a fun diversion to visit their shop and play around on the grass with their wonderful instruments. They really are more akin to a finely crafted violin or guitar than a plastic fly rod.
mcnerney and jgentile like this.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:28 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't fish cane much anymore but I deeply respect the art form of making them. Among the "factory" makers, I voted for T&T but if I could have a custom rod built for me it would be from no other than Per Brandon a maestro that crafts a fully hollow built 8'3"/#4 that is the most desirable modern cane rod I have ever cast.
mcnerney and jgentile like this.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:45 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

My vote: Art Weiler. Excellent quality for the price. Beautiful Garrison reproduction 4 WT., 7'3"for small stream and midge fishing is my only boo to date.
mcnerney, jgentile and akuriko like this.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
My vote: Art Weiler. Excellent quality for the price. Beautiful Garrison reproduction 4 WT., 7'3"for small stream and midge fishing is my only boo to date.
And how much did it cost you?

~Akuriko
Old 02-26-2015, 03:41 PM

moucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of lightmoucheur2003 is a glorious beacon of light

I voted for T&T, but if I were really ordering one, it would probably be a custom job by Bill "Streamer" Abrams (Housatonic Rods - the Rods) or Rolf Baginski (ProductMenu). They both do exquisite work.

Orvis used to make a full line of bamboo rods, but these days they only offer two models and rarely even mention it in their marketing. They have shrunk from being a major force in bamboo to effectively just another small custom shop. Their stuff was built for fishing hard rather than just admiring -- the only 'boo rod in my collection is my dad's old 7' Orvis Battenkill built in 1959, both tips are still straight as an arrow, and it still casts as sweetly as the day it left Abercrombie's.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:26 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Haven't fished many bamboo rods, but out of the several makers that I have, South Creek Limited...Hands down, no questions asked.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Can't go wrong with an Everet Garrison taper.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 PM

I dont think i would of chosen a scott, there line is only 3 rods and from a maker in japan.

~Akuriko