The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 PM

coolhand will become famous soon enoughcoolhand will become famous soon enough
Default Sage Salt.... Wow!

Spent an hour or two yesterday casting the new Sage Salt 990-4. One word describes it... Wow! This is the best Sage I have ever thrown.

Easy distance out to 90'+ (didn't try to go longer, but sure that it is easily done by a decent caster), but most impressively, it loaded effortlessly at 40+ as well. What is different about it vs. many stiff, fast Sage rods is that the butt section is easily accessible, and involved with the cast, and it is very powerful. This is similar to the G. Loomis NRX, but the cast is easier, and the rod is lighter and smoother. IMO, big improvement over both of the Xi2 and Xi3 series that it replaced in the Sage line-up.

What is really different is that there is lots of "feel" with this rod (even in the #9). More so, than with the One or the Method. Seems like Jerry Siem and Sage is finding it's stride with their Konnectic technology. The only downside I see with this rod series is the $850 price tag. Other than that, it is a definite winner.

If you are in the market for a new saltwater rod, you owe it to yourself to cast the new Sage Salt. If you are like me, you'll love it.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:16 AM

miamimikepa has a spectacular aura aboutmiamimikepa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sage Salt.... Wow!

Would love to hear more about this rod. Seems as though this is the first rod that is really making a run at challenging the NRX as the "King" of the salt. I was completely set on picking up a 9'9wt NRX, but this is making me step back and take another look.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 AM

gjq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
Spent an hour or two yesterday casting the new Sage Salt 990-4. One word describes it... Wow! This is the best Sage I have ever thrown.

Easy distance out to 90'+ (didn't try to go longer, but sure that it is easily done by a decent caster), but most impressively, it loaded effortlessly at 40+ as well. What is different about it vs. many stiff, fast Sage rods is that the butt section is easily accessible, and involved with the cast, and it is very powerful. This is similar to the G. Loomis NRX, but the cast is easier, and the rod is lighter and smoother. IMO, big improvement over both of the Xi2 and Xi3 series that it replaced in the Sage line-up.

What is really different is that there is lots of "feel" with this rod (even in the #9). More so, than with the One or the Method. Seems like Jerry Siem and Sage is finding it's stride with their Konnectic technology. The only downside I see with this rod series is the $850 price tag. Other than that, it is a definite winner.

If you are in the market for a new saltwater rod, you owe it to yourself to cast the new Sage Salt. If you are like me, you'll love it.
What line/head length/weight did you use? How tolerant of different lines?

Last edited by gjq; 04-02-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: My Poor English
Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

My brand new SALT#9 is packed in the travel tube ready to head to Andros on Monday. It is accompanied by NRX#8 a back up rod and my wife's three sticks. I have two lines on two reels ready to fish...spent much of yesterday building fluoro leaders. RIO's Permit is my guess as the perfect line for it but I have Cortland's Liquid Crystal Blue for a counterpoint. I will no doubt write about all this stuff following my return from Palm tree country. Sage did not replace Xi3 lightly; they've worked hard to make SALT something really special.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 AM

GrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
My brand new SALT#9 is packed in the travel tube ready to head to Andros on Monday.
Greece or the Bahamas?

B.E.F.
biggie_robs likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:43 AM

coolhand will become famous soon enoughcoolhand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjq View Post
What line/head length/weight did you use? How tolerate of different lines?
The line I used was the Scientific Anglers Mastery Bonefish (no texture), this has been a "go to" for many serious Saltwater anglers. Don't know the detailed line specs off the top of my head, but I think it is a standard weight line. Didn't try any other lines.

Also, forgot to mention, this thing is accurate at all distances, true "sniper" rod.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:47 AM

miamimikepa has a spectacular aura aboutmiamimikepa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
My brand new SALT#9 is packed in the travel tube ready to head to Andros on Monday. It is accompanied by NRX#8 a back up rod and my wife's three sticks. I have two lines on two reels ready to fish...spent much of yesterday building fluoro leaders. RIO's Permit is my guess as the perfect line for it but I have Cortland's Liquid Crystal Blue for a counterpoint. I will no doubt write about all this stuff following my return from Palm tree country. Sage did not replace Xi3 lightly; they've worked hard to make SALT something really special.
Anxiously awaiting this review. The Salt may bump the NRX off. Purchase coming very shortly!
Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

S&S enjoy your trip you lucky dog! I'm excited for this particular rod review, I don't yet have a standard 9' 8wt. For saltwater and am very interested in this rod.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:51 PM

scoutm has a spectacular aura aboutscoutm has a spectacular aura aboutscoutm has a spectacular aura about

For those wanting one I saw an 890 Salt for sale on another site $600.00 shoot me a pm if you would like to know where...not associated with seller in any way.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:12 PM

adealarcon is on a distinguished road

S&s
Look frward to hearing your take on the salt. were you able to get your hands on any of the airflo chard lines? i just got back froma trip a few ago and used that line....big thumbs up for me.
mcnerney likes this.