The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 03:49 PM

tedwin183 is on a distinguished road
Default Wind punching Rod/line combos! (8-9wt)

So after an afternoon of fishing a few local retention ponds for largemouth with my 8wt Sage Approach/SA GPX combo (usually a very nice "in-close" rod I use for small river/creek smallies and pike), I came to the realization that this setup just doesn't cut it for punching the wind. Being a retention pond, there is very little cover from wind, and to make matters worse, most of the casts HAD to be longer than 60ft to get past the weed line along the shore.

The fish in these ponds are abnormally large (avg is in the 17" range, with many up over 20" and in the 6-7 pound range), so a 9 wt is not out of the question, but I'd be fine with an 8.

I know rod feel is subjective, so I'm asking for a few rod/line combos people have had luck with, particularly for punching wind with bigger flies (think 1/0 Murdich Minnows and Deceivers). I know fast is the game here.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:17 PM

miamimikepa has a spectacular aura aboutmiamimikepa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wind punching Rod/line combos! (8-9wt)

Skeleton Fish Has Landed...Next Stop Islamorada

Clearly you'd want a different line, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better 9wt outfit. I went 9 instead of 8 to deal with that South Florida wind.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
Skeleton Fish Has Landed...Next Stop Islamorada

Clearly you'd want a different line, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better 9wt outfit. I went 9 instead of 8 to deal with that South Florida wind.
The NRX is definitely a player. LMB and pike don't take runs that would necessitate the glory that is the Nautilus NV though.
mcnerney and miamimikepa like this.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:40 PM

miamimikepa has a spectacular aura aboutmiamimikepa has a spectacular aura about

Seems like people are really liking the Sage Salt as well. Sage Method may also be a contender. Also, in the more mid priced range I'd check out Sage Motive & Scott Tidal.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:51 PM

I've casted the Motive in an 8wt, and wasn't overly impressed, but I wasn't shopping for a rocket launcher at the time, so maybe my mind wasn't in the right place to judge it. Motive is definitely up there as well.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:04 PM

boogeyklat is on a distinguished road

I just came off some of the windiest flats I have ever fished in cape cod and my 9wt approach and SA streamer intermediate line were slicing through the the wind fairly easily. I don't think a new rod is going to make that much of a difference. Casting position and your double haul skills would be my main focus.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:27 PM

jjc155 is on a distinguished road

Switch out the line for a SA Titan Taper (one of the best bass lines out there and awesome for big flies), tighten up your loops and add a double haul. This is a more of a technique issue than a rod issue.

You'll be GTG.

J-
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc155 View Post
Switch out the line for a SA Titan Taper (one of the best bass lines out there and awesome for big flies), tighten up your loops and add a double haul. This is a more of a technique issue than a rod issue.

You'll be GTG.

J-
Isn't SA Titan a little heavy for the Approach? It appears to be almost 1.5 weights higher in grain weight than an AFTMA 8 wt line...
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I've never hit a Windy day my Hardy Proaxis (9-8) won't throw in with a Cortland Liquid Crystal. That is a combo that just kills. The key with that rod is get a true to size agressive line. Ask S & S about it. I'm also seeing quite a few show up on closeout.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 AM

shopworn is on a distinguished road

I'd hate to discourage someone from spending more money...like on a Sage Method (which can throw a nice tight loop)....or on a new expensive fly line. I'm assuming you want to stay with a floating line so intermediates and sink tips arent an option. Before buying a new line, I'd study the profiles and dimensions of the tapers. A lot of lines have very similar profiles...so you may not gain a lot by switching to new line with a similar profile

I see no problem at all with uplining 1, or maybe even 2 line weights, or going to a line that is actually heavier than the box is labeled ( I have Rio line that is labeled a 10 wt but the grain wt is really about 12.5 on the AFTMA chart)

I'd first work on tightening the loops on the cast, unless they are already nice and tight, and accelerating the cast with a single haul, or a double.

And, you might consider adding a Belgian/elliptical cast i.e continuous tension cast to your arsenal of casts. I think that's what the Bahamians like on the windy bonefish flats.