The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 02:25 PM

ts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the rough
Default Need recommendation for a New York salmon rod?

I'm starting to think about a salmon rod for New York salmon. Is a Hardy Zenith 9' 8 weight enough or do I need a heavier rod?

If a stronger rod is the answer, any suggestions on size and a good, but not too expensive option? So far, I like casting my Zeniths and St Croix Imperials in lower weights, and BVK in an 8 weight. This is the kind of action I prefer. St Croix does make a 9 and 10 weight in the Imperial. TFO also makes a number of rods including the BVK in 9 and 10 weights. I have not cast any of these though.

This is not something I plan to do on a frequent basis. Still, this is a cheaper solution than hiring a guide. I do know enough folks who do it every year and have fished the same waters for steelhead where just putting the money into gear make make more sense.

Thanks!

Todd

Good things come to those who wade...

Last edited by ts47; 06-03-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:13 PM

miamimikepa has a spectacular aura aboutmiamimikepa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need recommendation for a New York salmon rod?

Do you plan on doing any steelhead fishing as well or just salmon?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:27 PM

ts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
Do you plan on doing any steelhead fishing as well or just salmon?
Yes, I will do steelhead fishing too.

If it has an effect on your answer, I own a Zenith 10' 7 weight and 9' 8 weight, and a BVK 9' 8 weight that all work for steelhead.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:48 PM

miamimikepa has a spectacular aura aboutmiamimikepa has a spectacular aura about

Ok, to answer your question yes your 9' 8wt is fine for salmon. When I first started fly fishing a 10'8wt was the first rod I bought to use for both salmon and steelhead. I landed Kings in the Salmon River in Pulaski Ny with it. With that being said I don't feel an 8wt is the optimum rod for salmon. If you end up doing it more often I think a 9wt or 10wt would be best for Kings, but if we are talking once a year during the run in Oct I'd just use one of your 8wt rods. I'd prob use the BVK since Kings tend to be rough on gear and TFO is great with replacements.
ts47 likes this.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
Ok, to answer your question yes your 9' 8wt is fine for salmon. When I first started fly fishing a 10'8wt was the first rod I bought to use for both salmon and steelhead. I landed Kings in the Salmon River in Pulaski Ny with it. With that being said I don't feel an 8wt is the optimum rod for salmon. If you end up doing it more often I think a 9wt or 10wt would be best for Kings, but if we are talking once a year during the run in Oct I'd just use one of your 8wt rods. I'd prob use the BVK since Kings tend to be rough on gear and TFO is great with replacements.
Thanks for the response!

I know the salmon in Pulaski can be a bit of a bull that just drags your streamer around. Given the BVK's propensity to occasionally break tips, I assumed the Zenith would be a better rod more suited to a prolonged fight. I just don't want to drive to New York only to find myself undergunned for the job.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:45 PM

gidva is on a distinguished road

Get the New scott tidal. Its just awesome.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:58 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I fish the salmon river frequently. Your current rod lineup is more than enough for steelhead, but on the other hand an 8 weight is probably not enough stick for salmon. I see guys break 8 weights like crazy during the salmon run and it sounds like a freakin gunshot when it happens.

If your gunna stick with a single handed id advise you get the 9 weight. However if you want to mix it up a bit and learn Spey casting technique I would advise an 11' - 11'9" 8 weight switch rod. An 8 weight switch rod has the fish fighting power of a single hand 9 or 10 weight. Given you already have single hand 7 and 8 weights it might be more fun for you to get a switch. The only issue here is if you don't know the river well and are limited to fishing shoulder to shoulder with guys during the crowded salmon run, it will be difficult to Spey cast. Unfortunately it's become a zoo up in Pulaski, that river would be a world class fishery if people had common courtesy, but that's another topic.

All in all, I'd suggest a 9 weight single handed, BVK is good bang for your buck. Or an 11', 11'6" or 11'9" switch rod in an 8 weight would be great if Spey techniques interest you. I personally use an 8110 switch in Pulaski and it's epic. Even more fun to break out the 7136 but that's for steelhead in January when the river isn't crowded Some decent switch rods on a budget would include the 8116 reddington prospector, or the Echo 8110 TR switch, both are mid to lower priced switch rods, with better than avg. price to performance ratios. If you really wanna have some fun and give yourself that edge, get yourself a sage 8116 ONE, or 8119 method, but obviously be prepared to drop some coin.
jaybo41, ts47, pa cope and 1 others like this.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:27 AM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
Unfortunately it's become a zoo up in Pulaski, that river would be a world class fishery if people had common courtesy, but that's another topic.
It is nice to imagine what could have been .....too bad.
jaybo41 and pa cope like this.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
I fish the salmon river frequently. Your current rod lineup is more than enough for steelhead, but on the other hand an 8 weight is probably not enough stick for salmon. I see guys break 8 weights like crazy during the salmon run and it sounds like a freakin gunshot when it happens.

If your gunna stick with a single handed id advise you get the 9 weight. However if you want to mix it up a bit and learn Spey casting technique I would advise an 11' - 11'9" 8 weight switch rod. An 8 weight switch rod has the fish fighting power of a single hand 9 or 10 weight. Given you already have single hand 7 and 8 weights it might be more fun for you to get a switch. The only issue here is if you don't know the river well and are limited to fishing shoulder to shoulder with guys during the crowded salmon run, it will be difficult to Spey cast. Unfortunately it's become a zoo up in Pulaski, that river would be a world class fishery if people had common courtesy, but that's another topic.

All in all, I'd suggest a 9 weight single handed, BVK is good bang for your buck. Or an 11', 11'6" or 11'9" switch rod in an 8 weight would be great if Spey techniques interest you. I personally use an 8110 switch in Pulaski and it's epic. Even more fun to break out the 7136 but that's for steelhead in January when the river isn't crowded Some decent switch rods on a budget would include the 8116 reddington prospector, or the Echo 8110 TR switch, both are mid to lower priced switch rods, with better than avg. price to performance ratios. If you really wanna have some fun and give yourself that edge, get yourself a sage 8116 ONE, or 8119 method, but obviously be prepared to drop some coin.
Sounds like good advice! A switch is something I've been considering. I've got a Zenith 6 weight for sale. If it goes, a switch is something I may consider.

As for breaking an 8 weight... This is why I was thinking about using My Zenith 8 as a possible rod. I believe the Zenith to be a much stronger rod than my BVK 8 weight. Perhaps someone more in the know than I am could comment on this? I remembering the Zenith Sintrix marketing photos of someone pulling in a shark with the 8 weight. This will be a perhaps once a year trip, not more than that. I'm not looking to destroy any of my rods. So if a heavier rod is what I need, I will get one. I would need to think about what else I could use that rod for. hmm...

Old 06-04-2015, 10:38 AM

rockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidva View Post
Get the New scott tidal. Its just awesome.

Scott is suppossed to bring out a new salt model in July.