The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 09:28 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default New Clutch Trout series

Schultz outfitters had their spring Demo Days today and Lee Janik was there with the new Clutch Fluent trout rods. Anyway I brought my Hardy Marquis 6 with a Cortland Trout Boss 5 to try out the 9-5 weight. I also tried out the 9-4 with a SA GPX. The casting conditions were tough (off a dock into the river with a gusty cross wind) My verdict is we may have a new contender for top trout rod. I preferred the 9-5 to both the One and the Radian, I felt it felt lighter in hand than a Zenith and very Winston like in close. Even the Winston rep said it reminded him in feel of a BIIx but as someone whose owned a BIIx I can tell you the Clutch had considerably more reserve. With the Trout Boss the rod was a dream at mending, reach, and roll cast. I'd rate it dead even with the Zenith. And I'd love to cast it with a good 1/2 size overweighted line.

Speaking of which the 9-4 weight was loaded with a GPX and it was a cannon. I don't own any 9-4's and I really haven't test casted many of them. But I had no problem making 60-70' cast straight out despite the cross wind. I will say that GPX is a clunky line to me, the rod didn't mend or roll cast near as well as the 5 with the longer belly Trout Boss. Anyway keep your eyes open for Clutch, Lee has really upped his game the last year or so.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:16 AM

GrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to beholdGrtLksMarlin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Clutch Trout series

Darn, wish I knew that was going on, they're just a short distance from here and it was a beautiful Michigan drizzly day.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:24 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Clutch Trout series

Thanks Burk, I really wish the Clutch guys can beat Anderson over his head with a new top rod (after he called their first on a "rug beater").