The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 03:50 AM

brossi is on a distinguished road
Default Scott Identification Help

Looking for a little help on a rod I picked up at a garage sale last weekend. First let me say that my only fly fishing experience was probably about 15 years ago for bluegill in a small pond a couple of times. That being said I do fish a lot (mostly in the ocean) and build rods from time to time. I have been thinking about trying to learn fly fishing recently so when I came across this rod at a garage sale for a decent price I bought it. The hook keeper is missing and some of the guide wraps could be redone or touched up so I figured it would make a good project. Having no clue what I actually bought I looked it up and it seems the rod might be of some significant value. Only problem is the reel seat hardware looks different from anything I can find online so I think maybe its been replaced? I'm hoping somebody can help me out and tell me exactly what I have here. I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or pass it on to somebody that will appreciate it more and put it to good use.

Thanks

Brian

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:24 AM

matt2007 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scott Identification Help

Scott G Series 9' 4 weight. Lovely rod. Worth repairing and hanging on to.

Send to Scott for repair.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 AM

slips74 has a spectacular aura aboutslips74 has a spectacular aura about

+ 1 - Scott G series. Awesome Technical Dry Fly Rod
Trout Unlimited - Ken Lockwood #244

"A bad day at fishing is still better than a good day at work"
Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 AM

rockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant futurerockriver has a brilliant future

Very nice find. Sending it back to Scott would be my choice.
trout trekker likes this.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM

huntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to behold

Yep, old "G" series and yes, its a med action presentation rod. I have one. Its sweet, if you like that action, and I do. This was about their top of the line rod for a number of years. I am not the best caster in the world but that rod will throw the smallest drys up to some decent double drop junk and take it all in stride if you play with it a bit. I use a true weight WF and DT on mine as well as a sink tip leader and again it does what its supposed to do.

As to the reel seat hardware, they offered that rod with that reel seat and then the wood insert uplocking seat. Mine has the up lock style.

I would strongly suggest sending it back to Scott and let them re-do it. It would be well worth the bucks. They are beautiful rods with that ruby wrap. Your cork seems to be in great shap though soiled from use. Thats no big deal.

Good luck with the rod......
smilingduck likes this.
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 06-08-2015, 01:09 PM

Thank you all very much! I'm going to contact Scott about sending it in for a little restoration and look forward to using it.

Brian
smilingduck likes this.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:29 PM

glacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to allglacierjohn is a name known to all

That G904 is my all time favorite fly rod. It's not everybody's cup of tea, but for those of us that prefer a classic action, it is perfect, especially in the four weight.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:35 PM

huntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to beholdhuntschool is a splendid one to behold

Brian:

Checking your SN to mine that might be a Calif. mfg. rod but I am not sure.

Where are you from and how do you plan to use the rod? I may be able to offer some additional ideas.....

Just asking.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntschool View Post
Brian:

Checking your SN to mine that might be a Calif. mfg. rod but I am not sure.

Where are you from and how do you plan to use the rod? I may be able to offer some additional ideas.....

Just asking.
Do you have any information on how to find what SN rods were made in CA? I do live in CA, Santa Cruz to be exact so I'm sure it's quite possible it was made here.

I don't think there is much near me that I could use that weight rod for but my knowledge is limited as far as fly fishing. Seems like it might be fun on my friends pond for some bluegill/crappie action?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Brian:

I am not at all familuar with locations in Calif. other than the normal big places although I knew where Sant Cruz was.

I dont know how moblie or inclined you are to look for some trout but the rod will be a blast for good blue gills etc (pan fish) incl small LM bass.

Here are some possible contacts for you regarding clubs etc:

SCFF Newsletter

Central Coast Fly Fishing - Welcome

I gather the San Lorenzo River has some steelhead and that would likely mean some trout. Just a thought.

I do not have a line on SN's for Scott rods but a call to them, which I guess you might make anyway to check on that refinish, would be a good time and place to ask the question.