The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 03:29 PM

north2future is on a distinguished road
Default Panfish Rod: EC Featherlight or something else?

My 3yo can somewhat cast my 9' rods, even the 8# with a Kraken on it. We arent talking Lefty Kreh 80 curves, but he gets the job done.

That said, I have been toying/saving with getting him a Tenkara because it is light, lacks a reel (meaning hopefully less to monkey with/get tangled) and simpler to use.

Yet, I have also been intrigued with the idea of getting him a kid fly rod or a cheaper 3/4 weight that I dont mind if it gets broken, but I feel like that is a throw away option and not worth it.

So, with a family "camping" trip coming up to a lake stocked with blue gill, rock bass, and the like, I thought maybe the best idea is to get a Featherlight 6'6" with a perfect place to try it out and kill lots of birds with one stone. I know that they call it a 3/4 when really it acts more like a 4/5.

So my questions are:
  • - I can't "find" this rod anywhere to touch and feel it, but know a lot of folks have experience with it - is this the rod for this type of application, i.e. crappie, bluegill, rock bass, and then eventually as a small creek Brook trout rod?
  • - Is there another rod without spending too much more that would make more sense? (e.g.: Pay a bit more and get the xxxxx because while the FL is fun, it does limit itself?)
  • - What line should I put on it, I have read they act more like a 4/5 and so if you put 3wt on it, they underperform?

I figure I cant go wrong, and I could pick up a cabelas reel, or if I knew which one to get a Medalist, and just call it a day... but I wanted to ask before I just bought it. I know that casting foam flies and the like takes a bit of oomph and just want to make sure I dont outhink myself on this one.
pszy22 likes this.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:05 PM

adam maskew is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Panfish Rod: EC Featherlight or something else?

My kids are using the 6'6" 4/5 a lot in the salt and limited fw that we do. We've put old BFR cartridge reel on them with a 5 line. They provide a lot more feedback that the carbon fiber #7 we also use.

They seem a little short from the shore or when wading but are perfect on the boat or bank with a little elevation. If he was older I'd be suggesting you get a #5 in the 7-8' length.

He is kind of young but as a beater stick I think it would work, particularly as you could also put a spin reel on it.

Have fun as it sounds like you've made the first step in hooking him into enjoying the outdoors and fishing.

Adam
Old 07-01-2015, 04:06 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

I would consider a Cabela's Three Forks rod. It's a real fly rod but cheap enough you don't have to stress if it breaks. I have a lightly used 4WT for sale. I use it as a loaner rod for guests new to the fly, but that's not why I recommend it. I don't know what the price is normally as I bought it around Christmas when they give put them on sale. Their Wind River reel is a nice match at a cheap price. It has a good drag for the money.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:41 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

A tenkara rod might be a good choice if you were always around to keep an eye on him when he was using it. When using a tenkara rod, there are a few simple rules you have to follow, problem is if you break a rule, there is a good chance you can break the rod.

If you do decide to go the reel route, I'd personally go with the Eagle Claw. It's not a half bad rod, it will definitely fish. If you son does do something that a kid might do, and accidentally break the rod, you are out $20.

As far as your son is concerned, he's not going to care how much you did or didn't spend on the rod, he's going to be thrilled to be out fishing with his Pop.

Regarding line wt, I'd go with a five weight. Most of his cast are going to be on the shorter side, the heavier line will load the rod a bit better. I'd probably even go with a level line.

p.s. I will say, I've yet to hear anyone who has actually fished an Eagle Claw Featherlight have anything super negative to say about it.
BigJim2x likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-01-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
A tenkara rod might be a good choice if you were always around to keep an eye on him when he was using it. When using a tenkara rod, there are a few simple rules you have to follow, problem is if you break a rule, there is a good chance you can break the rod.

p.s. I will say, I've yet to hear anyone who has actually fished an Eagle Claw Featherlight have anything super negative to say about it.

You hit both of my concerns with your reply. The Prev. Reply-Poster suggested a cheaper fly rod, that I haven't heard AMAZING things about. But the featherlight, people always talk about, plus it gives me the chance to play with some glass a bit. I just wondered if the reason people talk so much about the FL is BECAUSE it is $29 or whatever, and not because it is a great value at such. I am leaning that way, mostly because while I want to try the Tenkara for him and me, I feel like it is still putting a $100 rod into the hand of a child. I want this to be something he can play around with, fish with, and me not having to say, "no no no..."

Just want to make sure it isn't ****, per se.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:59 PM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

If you do some searching on this forum the featherlight has been discussed at length. Tenkara would be fun when he is a little older, but it's a very long rod and unmanageable for most 3YO and would likely frustrate him. That's not what you want for a first rod. There is a reason why "Snoopy Poles" are 3ft long.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:35 PM

gjq is on a distinguished road

I was fishing on the Cataloochee a few years ago using a Steffen fiberglass rod. Along came this fella in a beat up pickup truck. He got out fished a bit and as he was leaving I had a chance to talk to him....His grandfather owned some of the property that the Smoky Mountain Park is on now and he always fished and leaned to fish on an Eagle Claw Featherweight or he called it his "yellow rod". And he caught trout.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:08 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I've been a fly fishing dad for a long time, and I'm going to give you the best bit of fly fishing dad advice you will find on this entire forum.

DO NOT buy your son an EC FL rod!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to buy TWO EG FL rods - one for junior, one for you.

If you just buy one, you are going to want to fish it, it's a fun rod. You are going to feel guilty for taking junior's rod away so dad can make a few casts, and then a few more.

You are going to make junior feel like a million bucks, he'll be fishing with a rod just like dad's rod.

Trust me, it will be one of the best $50 you've ever spent. You and junior may both be fishing those rods 30 years from now. I know about these things.

p.s. Ask me when you are ready to get junior a tenkara rod in a couple of years.
ia_trouter and north2future like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-01-2015, 10:38 PM

See, this is what I was thinking. The boy can fish. I know I sound like typical dad here, but the kid can cast, ride a two wheeler, skate, and hit pitches. He has the coordination I *wish* I had...

I think I will be getting a feather.... I mean TWO featherlights.

I know it's a tad silly, but any recs on a reel? I have a Cabela's PRESTIGE PLUS... and for the price it isn't bad, but the thing has some fit/finish issues. I just want something to balance the rod and make sense. I have always wnated to do a Pflueger Medalist, but I dont know "Which one" to get...

What "pairs well" with this rod? Also line weight? 4? 5?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 PM

trs will become famous soon enoughtrs will become famous soon enough

The EC is a great rod, thier back in stock at wally world online for 19.99. I found the older Ocean City 76s going much cheaper on E bay. The 2 I got in the last couple months were under 15, a light clean and lubricate and I had a fine reel with a drag.
So far I have been able to use a 3 or 4wt with around 40 yds backing, and one of them came with a 5wt with abt 10 feet of backing