The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 12:43 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
Fair enough.

On a related (sort of) note; I've noticed that many manufacturer's have moved from 2-piece rods to 4-piece rods. Do 4-piece rods fish any differently? Is this a trend in manufacturing?
Short answer... don't fish much, if at all differently... and they are much easier to pack.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM

adrian is on a distinguished road

dear sesro,

give the Temple Fork rods a shot. i think that they are an incredible value. i have been and Orivs/ Winston/ Sage person for years (and own 8 of their rods) and picked up a 4 weight TFO Lefty professional series that i love.

i wouldn't buy anything but a 4 piece and i'm surprised that anyone still sells them. i guess that if you are really good (pro quality) you might feel a difference, i'm not and i don't.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

We still have 2 piece rods because they are cheaper to make. There are some design restraints with a 2 piece rod because the ferrule is at the mid point and you have to design with that in mind. The new ferrule designs are very good and have little effect on the rod action today. To my mind there is no reason to buy a 2 piece rod except for saving money.

Frank
Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

We still have 2 piece rods because they are cheaper to make. There are some design restraints with a 2 piece rod because the ferrule is at the mid point and you have to design with that in mind. The new ferrule designs are very good and have little effect on the rod action today. To my mind there is no reason to buy a 2 piece rod except for saving money.

Frank
Thanks everyone for all the information you've provided today!

I've narrowed my choices down - two rods (I think) - The TFO Finesse 7'9" 5-wt. or the Diamondback Americana series 8' 5-wt.

Any thoughts on those 2?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

If your interested in the Finesse series then check out the Cortland Brook series. Fly Fish America, was very impressed (in their gear guide). They are all four piece, come with nickel silver appointments, wood real seats, lifetime warranty. Unlike the TFO they come with a rod / reel case included (a 25$ extra with the TFO). We only sell them to independent pro shops. They start with a 6'6" 3 weight and run to an 8'6" 5 weight. We spent a lot of time tweaking these actions and they are the real deal.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:47 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
Thanks everyone for all the information you've provided today!

I've narrowed my choices down - two rods (I think) - The TFO Finesse 7'9" 5-wt. or the Diamondback Americana series 8' 5-wt.

Any thoughts on those 2?

Thanks!
I'm the rep for Diamondback, Cortland, in all sincerity the new Cortland rods are superior rods. Check out the Brook series instead as per my previous post.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That 7'9" 5wt TFO Finesse is a sweet stick. I was actually suprised at how punchy it was, but this is largely due to its length. It still qualifies as more of a medium action rod than a fast one, but don't expect something that feels anything like bamboo or fiberglass. Its wonderfully light too.

I'm actually waffling between that one and the St. Croix Avid 8' 5wt myself. The St. Croix is a little more $, but it includes the tube and the TFO doesn't. There's also the difference of American made versus Asian.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I'm the rep for Diamondback, Cortland, in all sincerity the new Cortland rods are superior rods.
Now Burk.... seriously, not that their not good rods, but what else would anyone expect you to say about them!

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

+1 - go with a short stick, 6 to 7.6 would do you just fine for your streams. A shorter rod helps keep your backcast shorter and bushwack the small streams better than 8-9ft'ers
Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGal View Post
+1 - go with a short stick, 6 to 7.6 would do you just fine for your streams. A shorter rod helps keep your backcast shorter and bushwack the small streams better than 8-9ft'ers
Yea- I was leaning in that direction as I tend t wander into the woods when I come across a small inlet or stream.