The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   New Rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/3651-new-rod.html)

sesro1978 03-24-2008 08:11 AM

New Rod
 
Hi-

I'm looking to purchase a new rod this spring and need suggestions (realizing of course that the best way to find a good rod is to go and cast a couple). I'm looking to narrow down my choices a bit.

I fish mainly small to mid-size streams/rivers with some overhanging brush. I'm going to be fishing a 5-wt. line (mostly) and am looking for fairly responsive rod. Up until now I was using (lost in a house fire last year) an Orvis Clearwater 8.6' 5-wt but I see they've changed their reel-seats from wood to graphite (a change I'm not all-together, thrilled with).

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
sesro1978

BigCliff 03-24-2008 11:45 AM

Re: New Rod
 
I'd look the ECHO classic 5wt or a TFO Pro or Finesse series. All 3 are great rods for the money, and have a great warranty as well.

sesro1978 03-24-2008 11:55 AM

Re: New Rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff (Post 24000)
I'd look the ECHO classic 5wt or a TFO Pro or Finesse series. All 3 are great rods for the money, and have a great warranty as well.

Great, thanks! I'll check out those rods...

GRN 03-24-2008 12:06 PM

Re: New Rod
 
Where are you in VT?

What action do you like in rods?

What's your budget?

sesro1978 03-24-2008 12:10 PM

Re: New Rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN (Post 24011)
Where are you in VT?

What action do you like in rods?

What's your budget?

Hi-

I live around Quechee, VT (Ottauquechee River)...recently moved here and have not fished it but it certainly looks promising :-)

I generally like a medium action rod and I'm trying (girlfriend might throw a fit if it goes over this) to keep it under $200.00...

GRN 03-24-2008 12:22 PM

Re: New Rod
 
In that price range for a med/fast I like the Sage Launch a lot... for a more moderate action, head to West Lebanon and cast the LL Bean Double L (try to hook up with Steve Cole, he runs the outdoor discovery program and is a NH Guide - and a very cool guy). I just bought a 6'6" 3wt Double L that is a hell of a sweet stick for $195. If you need help connecting with a local Sage dealer, PM me and I'll steer you to one over here that's great about putting together nice packages.

TL's~

sesro1978 03-24-2008 12:27 PM

Re: New Rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN (Post 24015)
In that price range for a med/fast I like the Sage Launch a lot... for a more moderate action, head to West Lebanon and cast the LL Bean Double L (try to hook up with Steve Cole, he runs the outdoor discovery program and is a NH Guide - and a very cool guy). I just bought a 6'6" 3wt Double L that is a hell of a sweet stick for $195. If you need help connecting with a local Sage dealer, PM me and I'll steer you to one over here that's great about putting together nice packages.

TL's~

Nice! Thanks a bunch! I'm pretty familiar with the LL Bean you speak of but not it's fly-fishing department (moved here last year, had a house fire, lost everything and now trying to re-build stock); I'll definitely check it out.

What do you think of Diamondback fly rods out of curiosity?

Thanks!

Joe D 03-24-2008 12:28 PM

Re: New Rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sesro1978 (Post 23996)
Hi-

I'm looking to purchase a new rod this spring and need suggestions (realizing of course that the best way to find a good rod is to go and cast a couple). I'm looking to narrow down my choices a bit.

I fish mainly small to mid-size streams/rivers with some overhanging brush. I'm going to be fishing a 5-wt. line (mostly) and am looking for fairly responsive rod. Up until now I was using (lost in a house fire last year) an Orvis Clearwater 8.6' 5-wt but I see they've changed their reel-seats from wood to graphite (a change I'm not all-together, thrilled with).

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
sesro1978

Orvis also changed the tapers and went to a carbon fiber scrim. The new rods are lighter than the older ones. You might want to check out the trout Bum series. They might fit the type of water you're fishing a little better.

But, as you already stated, the only real way to go about rod selection is to cast a few and pick the one you like the best.

GRN 03-24-2008 12:32 PM

Re: New Rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sesro1978 (Post 24016)
Nice! Thanks a bunch! I'm pretty familiar with the LL Bean you speak of but not it's fly-fishing department (moved here last year, had a house fire, lost everything and now trying to re-build stock); I'll definitely check it out.

What do you think of Diamondback fly rods out of curiosity?

Thanks!

I think their glass rods in 2-4 wt are some of the best fishing tools made for the $... but I fear the longevity of the product support maybe in question... not that I'm nearly as close to that brand as I am others.

sesro1978 03-24-2008 12:35 PM

Re: New Rod
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN (Post 24018)
I think their glass rods in 2-4 wt are some of the best fishing tools made for the $... but I fear the longevity of the product support maybe in question... not that I'm nearly as close to that brand as I am others.

Fair enough.

On a related (sort of) note; I've noticed that many manufacturer's have moved from 2-piece rods to 4-piece rods. Do 4-piece rods fish any differently? Is this a trend in manufacturing?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.