The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 11:49 AM

scout1 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone thinking about getting the Sage MOD rod?

I know that there has been a little bit of discussion on the release of this rod, but anyone else interested in this rod?

I realize that the release date is this month, but anyone had a chance to handle this rod yet?

I own a ONE and a Circa and the thought of something splitting the difference between these two is intriguing. While I really like the Circa there are times that I feel it flexes too deep into the butt.

If you already own a Circa, would you be interested in the MOD?

Jim
Old 08-09-2015, 12:37 PM

jpgodf will become famous soon enoughjpgodf will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone thinking about getting the Sage MOD rod?

I already own a One and a Circa. I probably would have been interested in the Mod, but I already have two great rods that fit the spaces in between the Circa and the One. They are a Thomas & Thomas Helix 5 wt and a Thomas & Thomas Horizon II 6 wt.

Actually, right now my favorite of my 4 rods is the Helix, though that might change after I do a float trip on the So. Holston in September. On that trip I'll bring the One and Horizon II. For small creeks, though, you can't beat the 7'9" Circa 4 wt.

JP

PS...I will be interested to read user reviews on the Mod.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:02 PM

buggravy will become famous soon enoughbuggravy will become famous soon enough

I want to want one, but haven't arrived there yet. I wish they did a 486. That would be much harder to resist.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:39 PM

el jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the rough

I am one of those who is interested. I do own a 389-4 Circa. The description of the MOD suggests that is the Konnetic version of the ZXL. If so, that might be a SWEEEEET rod. But I already have ZXLs in 2, 3, 4, and 5 weights, and am loathe to replace them, as they are my favorite trout rod series. When Sage discontinued the ZXL and introduced the Circa, they left a hole in their lineup, with no medium fast action rod. The Circa was NOT a replacement for the ZXL, but maybe the MOD is that replacement.

I like the idea of 9'0" rods in the lower line weights, but I would like to see shorter rods offered, too, in the 7'6", 8'0", and 8'6" range. If Sage erred with the ZXL series, it was in not offering a 390, in my opinion. You could get it in the contemporary Z-Axis, but not the ZXL. To me, that was weird because the action of the ZXL lent itself more to a 3-weight than the Z-Axis, which I think is too fast for that light of a rod.
mcnerney and comeonavs like this.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:45 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct BG, I believe they are 9' models only. Only going by what I have read, not having seen one, my interpretation is MOD is playing in the Zenith, H2, BIIIx medium fast field...a popular action style. My next new trout rod is most probably going to be an 8'6 or 9"/#4. T&T will have a new rod in this size and I still have not put ONE in this category through its paces. To supersede my current Streamdance GLX 8 1/2'/#4, a new rod is going to have to really impress me.
mcnerney and comeonavs like this.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:58 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at the 9' 4wt sage Mod to compliment my 8'-6" 4wt Radian. Not sure yet but I am leaning towards a Scott G2 8'-8" or 8'-4" 4 wt instead.
mcnerney and glacierjohn like this.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:00 PM

el jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the roughel jefe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuch View Post
I've been looking at the 9' 4wt sage Mod to compliment my 8'-6" 4wt Radian. Not sure yet but I am leaning towards a Scott G2 8'-8" or 8'-4" 4 wt instead.
I picked up G2 884-4 last winter, and that is a lovely rod. It doesn't do great when the wind comes up, but then that's why you have the Radian. It will deal with some wind if you "hammer the nail" on your delivery cast, but then you can't really do any reach casts or air mends at those times (at least I can't). It is a terrific dry fly rod, and will handle small nymphs, too. It's a good tailwater rod.
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
I picked up G2 884-4 last winter, and that is a lovely rod. It doesn't do great when the wind comes up, but then that's why you have the Radian. It will deal with some wind if you "hammer the nail" on your delivery cast, but then you can't really do any reach casts or air mends at those times (at least I can't). It is a terrific dry fly rod, and will handle small nymphs, too. It's a good tailwater rod.
Thanks for the input. yes, I am really looking for a rod to compliment my Radian. The G2 seems to do that quite well. I am looking for a better dry fly and small nymph rod for smallish type streams here in Western Pennsylvania. Wind, distance, bigger flies is exactly why I have the Radian but it is a little too much in most situations. I have a G2 8'-4" 3 weight that I use for tricos and love it. the 4 wt seems a bit more versatile for most trout situations I encounter in my home waters.
glacierjohn likes this.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM

glacierjohn is just really niceglacierjohn is just really niceglacierjohn is just really niceglacierjohn is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuch View Post
Thanks for the input. yes, I am really looking for a rod to compliment my Radian. The G2 seems to do that quite well. I am looking for a better dry fly and small nymph rod for smallish type streams here in Western Pennsylvania. Wind, distance, bigger flies is exactly why I have the Radian but it is a little too much in most situations. I have a G2 8'-4" 3 weight that I use for tricos and love it. the 4 wt seems a bit more versatile for most trout situations I encounter in my home waters.
As you guys have probably read on other threads, I really like the way my Radian and older G series compliment each other. I usually start the day with my G-904 then switch to the Radian if the wind picks up or way bigger flies are in order.

For almost 20 years I used my G904 and an 8 1/2' five weight Sage SP in that way until I broke the SP a few years ago. I sent the rod and $50.00 back to Sage for repair, but they couldn't repair it so offered a new rod in replacement. They suggested the ZXL as being closest to the SP, but the more I thought about it my SP and G-series overlapped too much so I went with a faster rod (Z-Axis) to compliment my G's. I never warmed up to the Z-Axis so I ultimately sold it to a fellow forum member and bought a Radian after flirting with a 590 Sage One. For me the Scott G-G2 is a perfect compliment to the Radian, similar Scott feel but way more oomph when I need it.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM

I cast a G2 884/4 this weekend and it seems to be a perfect compliment to my 854 Radian.

Sage seems to be all over the place these days throwing out quite a few models. I do think the fit and finish of sage has gone towards looking mass produced and I am not a fan of the bright green color on the new MOD. On the other hand Scott continues to lend their aesthetics towards the hand made aspect of their rods. I think the G2 and Radian rods are hard to beat in terms of looks but the performance is also fantastic. I have to give credit to Jim B. and the Scott team for really putting out some high performing and great looking rods and keeping it to a manageable number of product that do well to compliment each other without much overlap. No doubt Jerry is one of the best rods designers but Sage is getting a bit "big box" for me these days if that makes any sense.